Anemone lost tentacles, but alive?

DaddyO NJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone suddenly “lost” it’s tentacles, but it’s “stem” seems to still be living. I fed it some mysis shrimp tonight and it ate it and pulled back into itself like normal. See pictures. Will the tentacles grow back or are they just severely retracted?

D6B94F68-3FFB-4832-B55A-D82B7A08BB3E.jpeg 012700E8-7A16-48FC-8EE3-CF3EC07F39B7.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's not just deflated? Anything that could have eaten them? How long have you had it?

OP
OP
D

DaddyO NJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it about a year. Been this way for about five days. I put some berghia’s in there about 10 days ago. Would they attach the anemone or chase it to shrivel up like this?

OP
OP
D

DaddyO NJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial? I have another anemone in the tank that is ok. Would it also effect that one if bacterial?

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how severe is your aiptasia infestation that you have a few berghia nudibranches in there? (fwiw they're supposed to be specialized to solely aiptasia so they are unlikely to be the culprit)

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about ten years old. I feed it every 7-10 days.
ok what type of lighting do you have and i think we need someone else to chime in because it may be something outside of being just starvation it may be bacterial dose it deflate often even when you don’t feed

OP
OP
D

DaddyO NJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 90 gal. Plenty of aptasia for Berghia to eat. Been letting it go in hopes that they will eat and grow.

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an anemone that lost all of it tentacles and was starting to bleach and turn white. It's oral disk was completely flat, no tentacles. It occurred after I dosed dinox to treat dinos. Now, several months later it's color is coming back and it's gotten about 60% of it's tentacles back.

For about a month I thought it was on its way out. But I started feeling it reef roids twice a week. Now it's making a comeback.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going on there is the anemone is in poor shape and resorbed itself for energy.
Give him good, stable water condition, and feed him. It looks like he is a BTA. They don't want a lot of water movement and a lot of light. Need light level like an average LPS.
Good luck with him.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back