Anemone? Maybe

army446909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just notice about 5 or 6 of these have popped up around my tank. I’m not sure what it is but they may have hitched a ride on my clean up crew. Any ideas what it is? It’s about the size of a pee and kind of reddish with clear tentacles with green tips kinda
8EB39176-C66C-4429-9B4E-C1214DC9F596.jpeg

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus 1 for the white light, but if I had to guess based on what you said that 5 or 6 have popped up I would guess that they are aiptasia. These look like nice but they are not. Do they look like they are poking out of the rock? If they are then it is my opinion that they are aiptasia.

There are many threads here on R2R regarding this. Here is a like to LiveAquaria article on aiptasia https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/295/?aid=295

OP
OP
army446909

army446909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus 1 for the white light, but if I had to guess based on what you said that 5 or 6 have popped up I would guess that they are aiptasia. These look like nice but they are not. Do they look like they are poking out of the rock? If they are then it is my opinion that they are aiptasia.

There are many threads here on R2R regarding this. Here is a like to LiveAquaria article on aiptasia https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/295/?aid=295
They are just sitting on the top of the rock best I can tell. Not sure what you mean by poking out.

OP
OP
army446909

army446909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!! After searching the Google I have decided I agree they are ball anemones. Which apparently aren’t anemones at all but a type of mushroom, according to tidal gardens at least. I’ll just have to keep an eye on them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!! After searching the Google I have decided I agree they are ball anemones. Which apparently aren’t anemones at all but a type of mushroom, according to tidal gardens at least. I’ll just have to keep an eye on them.
Anemone family condyactis you may see more but they stay more in the darker areas of the tank. No problem at all. Cool find

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back