Anemone not looking good

Angela32manning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night our anemone curled up and isn’t looking to good. Has been fine for months until now
image.jpg

Second picture from a few days ago with clown fish 4AC80F95-4A34-4717-B62F-4016D2AB8B53.jpeg

OP
OP
Angela32manning

Angela32manning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had anemone almost 4 months. Water is cloudy today too much food in tank yesterday I think? We turned lights down also to see if that helps . This is my husbands tank he was concerned about him as we have t seen him like this before . No rodi . You all are so kind to help

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess, but could be wrong..... it ate a big hunk of something, and retracted to eat it, and cloudy water is now it expelling it

No RODI is gonna be an issue though...... I can’t put a drop of peroxide, Vibrant, etc in my Nem tank without IMMEDIATE negativity response from my Nems, so I am guessing the constant water inconsistencies will keep it angry more often than not

OP
OP
Angela32manning

Angela32manning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess, but could be wrong..... it ate a big hunk of something, and retracted to eat it, and cloudy water is now it expelling it

No RODI is gonna be an issue though...... I can’t put a drop of peroxide, Vibrant, etc in my Nem tank without IMMEDIATE negativity response from my Nems, so I am guessing the constant water inconsistencies will keep it angry more often than not
Its the first time he’s been unhappy. Thank you for the advice ! Really! We have had fresh water fish for 30 years but are new to salt water this year. Everyone needs help sometimes and we all do this hobby out of love and passion

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in your pic where is was open it’s not happy. It shouldn’t be white. A healthy one will be brown, green, purple, or red. It’s very unlikely that too much light is causing the problem. More likely is not enough light. How deep is the sand bed? Long tentacle anemones need at least 4-6” to be happy.

LCC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not running carbon in a bag or reactor already you should add some in. Your nem is likely reacting to something in the water.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still young I usually wait a year. Have your parameters been stable? Are those new rocks in there? Add some carbon for a few days, if not running it, to remove any possible contaminants. remove it after a couple days as anemones do not like change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angela32manning

Angela32manning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still young I usually wait a year. Have your parameters been stable? Are those new rocks in there? Add some carbon for a few days if not running it to remove any possible contaminants. remove it after a couple days as anemones do not like change.
Thank you ! He is doing so much better . I guess it was a bad day. New to salt water it’s good to have people to talk to!

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had our nem for several months now. From time to time it will ball up, and sometimes close up to almost nothing. Generally, the balling happens after I feed it (frozen mysis or reefroids).

While doing research on anemones one of the methods they use to find a new spot to inhabit is to ball up and float in the water column. It's possible he is just looking for a new place. Our just recently crawled its way to a ledge in the back of our tank. Fortunately we can still see him.

Best of luck!

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a RODI asap. Do weekly 5% water changes. Do not waste your time $ with corals/anemones without RODI water. Do weekly 5% water changes. Anemones\corals will slowly die with bad water.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine do that a few times. kinda freaked me out too. but it puffs back to normal next day each time. someone mentioned it might be just trying to digest food/expel waste. makes sense in my case because it did that after I fed it large piece of krill.

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this a while ago and stayed small for over a month! I was freaking out! I was using conditioned tap water. We switched to RODI water, added carbon to the filter and a UV sterilizer. I read a lot that people add the UV to reduce water changes but we are still changing 5%-10% weekly with a goal of diluting and removing all the tap water that was in there quickly but not too quick as to shock anyone. The information you will gather here by asking for help is priceless!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back