BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got a couple question about doing a nem only tank and figured this would be the best place to ask. I have a nano cube setup with multiple different corals and my Nem which had previously stayed on the rock in front of the tank for 4 months decided it no longer liked the flow there. So I decided to setup an identical nano for the nem and my clowns.

My first question is about the new tank. I know Anemones typically need a well cycled mature tank (about 6 months) to survive and thrive in a tank. I already have established live rock covered in coraline from my LFS and filled the tank with 50% water from my running tank. It has been running for a few days and already has algae in it. If I also add the used filter media will it be ready for the nem already and if not how long should I wait give or take.

My other question is about Anemone shrimp compatibility and anemone crabs. I would really enjoy to make the tank a Mutual Symbiotic tank with a mix of compatible Anemones most likely Bubble Tips and Maxi Minis. I was curious if it's possible to have Sexy Shrimp and White Spot Anemone Shrimp together. I also was wondering if it's possible to keep Pom Pom Crabs with Porcelain Crabs or if that would be a problem. Also any recommendations for tank mates would be appreciated.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R,

In a nano I would either choose the crabs or the shrimp but not both. Sexy shrimp do fine with Anemones. My BTA's with Sexy Shrimp.
sexg.jpg

I could be wrong but I believe the crabs will push the shrimp out of the anemones and possibly eat the shrimp eventually.

I am not a believer that you need the tank to be 6 months or older to house BTA. As long as the tank is fully cycled and seeded BTA's should be fine if lighting is sufficient.

Your suggested cycling method sounds good, I use a similar method.

I would start with only one or two BTA, they are prone to split in newer systems so you do not want to end with too many.

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R,

In a nano I would either choose the crabs or the shrimp but not both. Sexy shrimp do fine with Anemones. My BTA's with Sexy Shrimp.
sexg.jpg

I could be wrong but I believe the crabs will push the shrimp out of the anemones and possibly eat the shrimp eventually.

I am not a believer that you need the tank to be 6 months or older to house BTA. As long as the tank is fully cycled and seeded BTA's should be fine if lighting is sufficient.

I would start with only one or two BTA, they are prone to split in newer systems so you do not want to end with too many.

Yea my plan was only adding 2 Bubble tips a friend of mine has one that just split so he was going to give me another. Than eventually some maxi minis. Do you think even the pom pom crabs would push out the shrimp I don't think they host anemones like the other crab.

SkfcRpN

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to be certain how compatible Pom Poms and Sexy Shrimp are. Try it and see how it works out. I will add that Maxi-Minis are really a hardy anemone, I have been trying to kill mine for 3 years. ;) I would be shocked if they did not do well. I never acclimate mine and just throw it in. If lighting is adequate they thrive and get huge, the one below is 5 inches across now.

reef2reefmaximini.jpg

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to be certain how compatible Pom Poms and Sexy Shrimp are. Try it and see how it works out. I will add that Maxi-Minis are really a hardy anemone, I have been trying to kill mine for 3 years. ;) I would be shocked if they did not do well. I never acclimate mine and just throw it in. If lighting is adequate they thrive and get huge, the one below is 5 inches across now.

reef2reefmaximini.jpg

I have a feeling anemones are a bit hardier than I was led to believe. No acclimation! That's crazy it looks great too!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to Haddoni and other carpets, or Sebae, LTA anemones I do practice acclimation, and I would probably do so with a $500.00 dollar (insert fantasy name) BTA to error on the side of caution with regard to investment.
As mentioned I have used the nearly the same cycling method with no regrets or loss of life. Cycled filtration media, live sand and or rock, bacteria in a bottle and I practice soft cycle. I do small water changes at least weekly for the first couple months. If you do not over feed or add a ton of fish to a new tank you're usually good to go ime. :)

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to Haddoni and other carpets, or Sebae, LTA anemones I do practice acclimation, and I would probably do so with a $500.00 dollar (insert fantasy name) BTA to error on the side of caution with regard to investment.
As mentioned I have used the nearly the same cycling method with no regrets or loss of life. Cycled filtration media, live sand and or rock, bacteria in a bottle and I practice soft cycle. I do small water changes at least weekly for the first couple months. If you do not over feed or add a ton of fish to a new tank you're usually good to go ime. :)

Yea I would be only adding 2 clowns and 2 anemones I feel it should be good I mean it basically the same water chemistry they're both identical tanks I filled the new one with half the water from the established one.

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding the water from your already established tank won't do much as the majority of the beneficial bacteria is found in the rocks and substrate, but the used filter pad is a great way to get the beneficial bacteria started. Personally, I would wait around 6 months before adding the nems just to make sure all the water chemistry is stable. Remember, nothing good happens fast in this hobby, don't rush you'll get there soon enough. Good luck with your build:)

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R,

sexg.jpg

I've seen that picture other places before Tahoe. That Red nem is awesome.

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the water from your already established tank won't do much as the majority of the beneficial bacteria is found in the rocks and substrate, but the used filter pad is a great way to get the beneficial bacteria started. Personally, I would wait around 6 months before adding the nems just to make sure all the water chemistry is stable. Remember, nothing good happens fast in this hobby, don't rush you'll get there soon enough. Good luck with your build:)

Unfortunately I got too hyped from the hardy anemone talk and already moved it. The tank has live rock that was already established from a running tank at my LFS. Both the nem and clowns seem to be doing fine if I notice any ill behavior I'll immediately move them back to the original tank.

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established tank with a few fish in it and two of them are a mated clown pair. I would love to put a bubble tip in my tank it is a 34 gallon red sea but the guy at the store told me it would kill my other fish. So is it true they will sting and kill my other fish

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established tank with a few fish in it and two of them are a mated clown pair. I would love to put a bubble tip in my tank it is a 34 gallon red sea but the guy at the store told me it would kill my other fish. So is it true they will sting and kill my other fish

While this is possible for an anemone to sting and kill other fish most fish will instinctually avoid them or do so once it's been stung. Other species of nems are much more notorious for killing fish but the BTAs are considered significantly less of a threat.

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome my fish guy had me u see the impression it BTA would sting my fish and they would all die from the sting i was so confused as i have seen them in so many reef tanks.

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m going to buy a nem and try it out i guess if it starts killing my fish I’ll take it out

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured I would update how my tank has been going. I still have decided to stick with the theme of mutual symbiosis within in the tank, My BTAs survived but after a few months, I noticed some loss of color and only made it worse by trying to rapidly adjust the light instead of taking my time slowly adjusting them. The colors are now slowly coming back and they are still eating even though they shrank from their original size. I have sexy shrimp and decided to go with rock flower anemones to host them. I also have 2 pom pom crabs and decided against the porcelain crab.

20180406_150957.jpg

31410.jpeg

31411.jpeg

Mikefdny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey does anyone know whose tank this is? Or anymore info on this ? I screen shot it from a brs YouTube video

Back