Anemone or Mushroom, what do you think?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody!

I regularly buy full systems from folks shutting down for whatever reason. Sometimes it's bust, like the one that came with a million flatworks and broken equipment. Most of the time it's just extra livestock with one or two things I don't have in my collection.

But sometimes, I find some neat and unique livestock. Like this one, not only was it on an 18" wide clam shell with a bunch of zoas, it was a mushroom I had never seen before. I originally thought was a blue hairy mushroom (Rhodactis howesii), then I wondered if it was a rhodostoma. Either way, I let sit for a year to grow and get comfortable.

Now, I'm wondering if it may not be a rhodactis at all, they are all still pretty small (3" max), but they are showing more Actinodendron physical characteristics. They aren't quite as "branchy" as a typical actinodendron, maybe it's the Heterodactyla hemprichii anemone? I thought I would throw it out to you folks for some input.

1633969723052.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a rhodactis.
Lol, indeed, and no other mushrooms have similar tendrils. I'm actually leaning toward the Heterodactyla hemprichii anemone at this point, but I'm only on the H's in my list, so my mind could change...

Looks like galaxea
This is a soft coral, so definitely not a galaxea... Also, FWIW, the tentacles in a galaxea are like torches, just mini. They aren't "furry" like the ones on this piece.

Green hairy mushrooms

Looks like hairy mushroom to me.
That's my point, it looks like a hairly mushroom, but up close it doesn't even seem to be a rhodactis...

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a soft coral, so definitely not a galaxea... Also, FWIW, the tentacles in a galaxea are like torches, just mini. They aren't "furry" like the ones on this piece.
Yes I see that now. I wasn’t sure if it was hiding a skeleton when I saw it. Kinda looked like a huge colony at first glance.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, but it’s rather weak. My leather stung my gorg, and I’ve been mildly stung by Xenia. What separates cnidarians (coral, jellies, nems) from others is the ability to sting.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, but it’s rather weak. My leather stung my gorg, and I’ve been mildly stung by Xenia. What separates cnidarians (coral, jellies, nems) from others is the ability to sting.
Yeah, to be candid, I didn’t know that leathers and star polyps would actually use their stinging cells against other corals like that. I thought that’s why some corals used chemicals. There’s also some bad info out there that says star polyps and leather corals don’t have cnidocytes/nematocysts, which further confused me.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, does OP have any more pictures, maybe in white light? Sorry I got off track there.

The tank is at my sister's, so it's unlikely I will have more pictures any time soon. Who knows, she might get a couple good shots. I was just there over Thanksgiving and noticed they weren't like any other rhodactis I have, they looked more like my actinodendron. So I just snapped this photo for my reference.

So far, I have been through at least 183 anemone species (plus all the mushroom species) and the heterodactyla hemprichii anemone is the closest match...

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a hairy mushroom. I had one that had weird branched tentacles like that. It got about 5” across and stared stinging neighbors so I traded it.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a hairy mushroom. I had one that had weird branched tentacles like that. It got about 5” across and stared stinging neighbors so I traded it.
Possibly, hairy mushrooms are generally (at least my part of the world) Rhodactis howesii, and it's smaller varient the indosinesis. What you describe, with branching tentacles, is the rhodostoma. I have all three of the species, and this one is still different. I'll collect a couple when I am over there next so I can post better photos.

Where the water gets muddied is the "Snowball Rhodactis" which was/is claimed to be a rhodostoma by a couple stores:
http://www.pacificaquafarms.com/NewImages/Week77/SnowballRhodactis.htm

The tentacles are similar to that "Snowball", however not nearly as close as this heterodactyla hemprichii anemone (although in this article it's a different colour):

Interesting stuff...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back