Anemone problem

Why so serious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone is acting weird please let me know what I can do to save them also my bicolor blend was acting weird and it died this morning

2E296050-0F35-4FAA-8412-226F04BDB4C8.jpeg 48E41041-3684-49EA-B750-B9FC8BD3A1B1.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok I just did a water change yesterday can I do another one today ?
i would check the water before anything... if you did a water change yesterday and a fish died today, as well as an anemone looking bad today... it definitely is something in the water...

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really can’t point you in the right direction without more information. Parameters (and are the stable), lights, age of tank, other inhabitants, flow, are you using RODI water (and are you testing TDS), any recent changes (like last two months). Just need a lot more info.

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are unlikely to survive the imbalances going on in such a new tank, most successful people recommend not adding corals or anemones until you start seeing signs of coralline algae growth, usually 3-4 mo+

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month and a half old tank is very immature and in general anemones are not going to do well in such a young tank. If you can take them back to the store or have someone else keep them until your tank is more mature, I would recommend you do that. If that’s not possible, all you can do ensure stable, in-range parameters (you can be anywhere in the range but it needs to be stable, fluctuations even if you stay within range is worse than being slightly out of range). So, Alk 7-12, Cal 400-450, PH 8.0-8.4, Nitrates 3-15ppm, Phosphates 0.03-0.08ppm, Magnesium 1250-1500ppm, Salinity 1.025-1.026 or 34-35ppm, Temp 76-80°. Don’t overfeed them (a few pieces of mysis or brine shrimp once or twice a week, don’t feed large pieces of shrimp or silversides, in the wild they mostly eat plankton sized bits of food), don’t move them, keep lighting and flow consistent (give them a decent amount of both, but give them areas to move out of the light and/or flow if they want to). What kind of lighting do you have?

Edit: you should replace the API test kits, they’re just not very accurate, especially for troubleshooting or fine tuning a tank. I would recommend Hanna, Salifert, Nyos, Red Sea, Aquaforest, or Tropic Marin.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do another water change I would do 30% 3 days in a row maybe even 4 days to be safe
Wait, what? Water change day before and now having problems. Why would you say another water change without knowing any more details?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Why so serious

Why so serious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
A month and a half old tank is very immature and in general anemones are not going to do well in such a young tank. If you can take them back to the store or have someone else keep them until your tank is more mature, I would recommend you do that. If that’s not possible, all you can do ensure stable, in-range parameters (you can be anywhere in the range but it needs to be stable, fluctuations even if you stay within range is worse than being slightly out of range). So, Alk 7-12, Cal 400-450, PH 8.0-8.4, Nitrates 3-15ppm, Phosphates 0.03-0.08ppm, Magnesium 1250-1500ppm, Salinity 1.025-1.026 or 34-35ppm, Temp 76-80°. Don’t overfeed them (a few pieces of mysis or brine shrimp once or twice a week, don’t feed large pieces of shrimp or silversides, in the wild they mostly eat plankton sized bits of food), don’t move them, keep lighting and flow consistent (give them a decent amount of both, but give them areas to move out of the light and/or flow if they want to). What kind of lighting do you have?

Edit: you should replace the API test kits, they’re just not very accurate, especially for troubleshooting or fine tuning a tank. I would recommend Hanna, Salifert, Nyos, Red Sea, Aquaforest, or Tropic Marin.
Ok I’ll look into it thank you

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back