Anemone Reef

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a forty gallon tank with some Zoanthids, mushrooms, a Gorgonian and a bubble tip anemone. I want to get more anemones. I’ve heard you can’t keep different species of anemone together but I’ve also seen max minis and bubble tips kept together successfully. Are there any other that are compatible with bubble tip anemones? Or do I just need to stick with more bubble tips?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably going to get roasted for saying this :) but I have 4 nems in my 40b. I have a large rainbow BTA and 3 Haddoni carpets. I also have them in a mixed reef with zoas, shrooms, euphelia (torches, hammer, frogspawn), clam, and gorgonian. They have all been living peacefully for more than a year and all but one carpet are in the same corner. The RBTA touches 2 of the carpets daily with no issues. This has been my experiene, but it can vary so take it with a grain of salt!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably going to get roasted for saying this :) but I have 4 nems in my 40b. I have a large rainbow BTA and 3 Haddoni carpets. I also have them in a mixed reef with zoas, shrooms, euphelia (torches, hammer, frogspawn), clam, and gorgonian. They have all been living peacefully for more than a year and all but one carpet are in the same corner. The RBTA touches 2 of the carpets daily with no issues. This has been my experiene, but it can vary so take it with a grain of salt!
Thanks for the information! Have you heard of any cases of chemical warfare between anemones?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned with potential allelopathy between different morphs of BTAs, particularly with higher-end morphs like Colorado Sunburst or Chicago Sunburst.

I have a 100 gallon system with BTAs, several S. gigantea, and a mini-maxi. At one point it also housed H. magnifica as well as H. malu. Never had any issues.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned with potential allelopathy between different morphs of BTAs, particularly with higher-end morphs like Colorado Sunburst or Chicago Sunburst.

I have a 100 gallon system with BTAs, several S. gigantea, and a mini-maxi. At one point it also housed H. magnifica as well as H. malu. Never had any issues.
Thanks for the input!

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7/10 host anemone species across two 55 gallons. No major issues except that to control water flow for an anemone that likes high flow vs the lower flow DSB species. They are constantly moving around when I change the water flow.
I have been debating on just eliminating one tank and putting everything into one system for ease of maintenance going forward.

For someone who loves anemones go for it. But if you want a mix reef with other species plus fish that are not anemonefish, I don’t recommend it.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7/10 host anemone species across two 55 gallons. No major issues except that to control water flow for an anemone that likes high flow vs the lower flow DSB species. They are constantly moving around when I change the water flow.
I have been debating on just eliminating one tank and putting everything into one system for ease of maintenance going forward.

For someone who loves anemones go for it. But if you want a mix reef with other species plus fish that are not anemonefish, I don’t recommend it.
My mixed reef do you mean anything other then Soft corals?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean that one anemone gets very large fast. Combine that with other types and varieties and you won’t have any room.

Other softies are fine but space becomes a issue. Only BTA seems to be fine touching other corals. Other anemones just sting and kill everything else.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back