Anemone shrinking

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small 3” RBTA a bit more than a week ago and it’s starting to shrink. It was doing very well for the first 3 days then I went on a trip and when I came back 4 days later it was smaller. It still has bubbles nice coloring and not gaping it’s mouth open. It is in moderate high lighting and medium flow. I’ve tried feeding it but it doesn’t grab onto the food. Also the anemone was healthy. And it hasn’t spit out it’s guts yet.
here are my params:
Ammonia/nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0.25
Phosphate: 0.
Calcium: 360
Mag: 1290 (will dose to raise to 1350)
Alk: 7.5
Salinity: 35ppt
Ph:8.1
The anemone is completely shrunk at night and a bit more open and bubbly during the day.
Pics after vs before.

3E72FDFC-A928-4FA3-82C2-53B9730D125F.jpeg B9818712-2BB8-4F8D-BFAD-374AC176F304.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems will open and close all the time. When they start to look gross like melted snot is when you have to worry. Don't try to feed it either. Let it get acclimated to the tank. Nems get everything they need from photosynthesis. Try again in 3 weeks or so.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems will open and close all the time. When they start to look gross like melted snot is when you have to worry. Don't try to feed it either. Let it get acclimated to the tank. Nems get everything they need from photosynthesis. Try again in 3 weeks or so.
That’s what I guessed. Could my params have anything to do with it? My gsp, Xenia and finger leather are doing very well.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is probably the most important now. Nems are pretty hardy once settled. Let it get familiar then try new things. You don't look like anything has to be taken care of immediately. How old is the tank?

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is probably the most important now. Nems are pretty hardy once settled. Let it get familiar then try new things. You don't look like anything has to be taken care of immediately. How old is the tank?
Ok. The tank will be 1 year old in a week.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm so jealous - yours has nice bubbles and color. mine is more purple/blue at the base but lost all its bubbles to tentacles?

what's your lighting parameter? (spectrum and par appreciated if you those figures)

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm so jealous - yours has nice bubbles and color. mine is more purple/blue at the base but lost all its bubbles to tentacles?

what's your lighting parameter? (spectrum and par appreciated if you those figures)
I’m using an ai hydra light. Not sure the par. I’m also expecting to loose the bubbles. It’s only been a week. It was sold to me as a rose but I believe it might be a hybrid between a rainbow as it has the green base. If anyone is in the NY westchester area I know someone who has these for $40 a piece. Very healthy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back