Anemone Species

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any clownfish-host anemones that resemble the magnifica but are actually affordable? Or does anyone know where I can get a cheap magnifica?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentical anemones are really pretty if you haven't had one. Just make sure you can get enough light to the sandbed

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA is probably the most suitable replacement as most Anemonefish have them on their host list or are likely to accept them as substitute hosts.
The issue with LTA is that they need at least a corner with deep sand.
Sebae is quite demanding when it comes to water quality, flow, and light.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A H. magnifica is a magnificent anemone. There in no other host anemone that is like it. There are a handful of host anemones, and they are different and require different environment.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think bubble tips only do that if they are starving for light or are trying to catch more food.

I am not sure about that based on tanks I have seen with several bta. Each one does its own thing and they get the same treatment and lighting... hmm?

What I have noticed is when bta get long and stringy they tend to be larger. Not some tiny 2 to 4 inch bubbly thing. About a good 8 to 10 inch or more spread all the time. They are larger.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about that based on tanks I have seen with several bta. Each one does its own thing and they get the same treatment and lighting... hmm?

What I have noticed is when bta get long and stringy they tend to be larger. Not some tiny 2 to 4 inch bubbly thing. About a good 8 to 10 inch or more spread all the time. They are larger.

At least that is what I have seen on live aquaria. Reefaquarium.com also says the same thing.

Last edited:

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least that is what I have seen on live aquaria. Reefaquarium.com also says the same thing.

I only skimmed through the video. Obviously the speaker has been around the aquarium trade longer then I have but it seems like that speech was a basic introduction to anemones. Not sure i would use/quotr it for specific behaviors like tentacle length of bta versus bubbly.

In the very beginning he showed a pic of wild bta.. and sure enough some were bubbly and some stringy right in the same patch/depth/etc..

So I am not sure what to think. Thank you though.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only skimmed through the video. Obviously the speaker has been around the aquarium trade longer then I have but it seems like that speech was a basic introduction to anemones. Not sure i would use/quotr it for specific behaviors like tentacle length of bta versus bubbly.

In the very beginning he showed a pic of wild bta.. and sure enough some were bubbly and some stringy right in the same patch/depth/etc..

So I am not sure what to think. Thank you though.

I removed the video and changed this because I realized it wasn't from that but from reefaquarium.com and live aquaria. Sorry about that. I rewatched the video to double check right after I posted and realized it was from these websites.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the video and changed this because I realized it wasn't from that but from reefaquarium.com and live aquaria. Sorry about that. I rewatched the video to double check right after I posted and realized it was from these websites.

Since I am not a scientist who studies these creatures I cannot state anything as a possible fact. But I will feed my largest bta, stretches out about a foot wide, which is stringy, more often to see what happens. My other seven or so, I lost count, smaller bta are bubbly. Let's see what happens :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am not a scientist who studies these creatures I cannot state anything as a possible fact. But I will feed my largest bta, stretches out about a foot wide, which is stringy, more often to see what happens. My other seven or so, I lost count, smaller bta are bubbly. Let's see what happens :)

They are strange creatures. I have one on the move and decided the dark reaches behind my rockscape is a nice location lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back