Anemone sucked into intake

astral.astrea

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
College station
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1672718289405505735005197950640.jpg
anemone was sucked halfway into the intake of my filter. I was able to gently remove him and dosed with iodine and maracyn oxy. So far he looks league's better than what he did a few hours ago, is there anything extra I should do? He's currently in a specimen cup in the aquarium with an air stone. Should I try and order some cipro?

16727181201706659751836380409810.jpg
 
May have occurred due to lack of water flow in which they climb closer to flow
If base/foot is not damaged, it stands a chance
 
May have occurred due to lack of water flow in which they climb closer to flow
If base/foot is not damaged, it stands a chance
The foot seems to inflate/deflate off and on. At first I thought the foot was severe damaged but it actually looks pretty unphased and it walking around the specimen cup.
 
It will likely be fine after a few weeks of recovery. I would keep any clowns away from it for a while. They can be rough on damaged/healing nems.
It's happened to all of us that have had anemones over the years. You should not need cipro. Get a guard for that powerhead.
 
Last edited:
When an anemone inflates its foot, it is a sign that it will take a walk soon.

I take that back. It is “..going for a walk” not “…will take a walk soon.”
 
Last edited:
Make sure you have a way to double check salinity. I killed 2 anemones before double verifying my salinity level, was running at 1.020 and anemones very mad about it. Hannah has a nice stick to test salinity and temp for $80 best purchase I’ve made yet
 
mine sucked himself into the water intake and was separated into each slot but still connected as one anemone. I have the fiji cube for the 40 breeder and i managed to pull him out but idk if hes going to survive that. Over the past week hes been trying to put himself in dangerous situations so i finally put him into one of those plastic separation cubes....he managed to escape that as well. My parameters are perfect, just changed the water 2 days ago....i swear hes trying to chop suey himself. idk what to do at this point.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new