Anemone's Grrrrrrrrrrrr..............

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added two anemone's over the last couple months. One is a rainbow BTA and the other LTA...............both decided to attache in places I can't see :mad:. The BTA started out attached to a perfect spot for viewing right in the front. Then, it decided to inch it's way to the back side of the rock after about 2 weeks. The LTA I put in the "perfect spot" and it attached right away and seemed happy. Then my female saddleback decided to host and was kinda beating it up. I put some egg crate over the top, which worked pretty well, but the male always seemed find a way through. I did this for about 2 weeks and the LTA was looking great, so I removed the egg crate. I guess it decided to move last night and is now attached under a rock on the back side of the tank................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be happy they didn't walk into a power head or pump intake. Had that happen on a beautiful large bubble. Seemed happy for weeks then went for a stroll and got shredded. Lost 3 the week that one died.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point a power head back there, not so the flow is whirlpool level but enough to be quite gusty. They’ll get real tired of it pretty quick and hop around to find a better spot, hopefully you’ll like it too!

OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be happy they didn't walk into a power head or pump intake. Had that happen on a beautiful large bubble. Seemed happy for weeks then went for a stroll and got shredded. Lost 3 the week that one died.
Good point! But now, I get to feed them and care for them and I can't even see them. Guess I could mount a mirror on the back wall! Wonder if my hippo tang would mind that....ha.

OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point a power head back there, not so the flow is whirlpool level but enough to be quite gusty. They’ll get real tired of it pretty quick and hop around to find a better spot, hopefully you’ll like it too!

Thanks for info...I will definitely try that. These are my first anemone's.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've added two anemone's over the last couple months. One is a rainbow BTA and the other LTA...............both decided to attache in places I can't see :mad:. The BTA started out attached to a perfect spot for viewing right in the front. Then, it decided to inch it's way to the back side of the rock after about 2 weeks. The LTA I put in the "perfect spot" and it attached right away and seemed happy. Then my female saddleback decided to host and was kinda beating it up. I put some egg crate over the top, which worked pretty well, but the male always seemed find a way through. I did this for about 2 weeks and the LTA was looking great, so I removed the egg crate. I guess it decided to move last night and is now attached under a rock on the back side of the tank................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Do you have sand? LTA need sand or they will move.

I have always found LTA's and Haddonis will move without deep enough sand.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah anemones are picky. Changing the lighting or water flow movement will get them to move. I find LTAs like areas with lower water flow like corners or crevices behind rock islands.

As for sand they should have 4 inches but you don't need to have that as an absolute rule.

OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot I put the LTA at originally had about 3" of sand but other parts of my tank have barely any or no sand. The place it's attached now as less than a half inch of sand. It's a 6' long tank.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your happy with where it is, then I would suggest moving the sand to that area around it's foot/column.

You can try another bare bottom method of a 3-4" PVC U pipe. Just put the anemone in, and fill it with sand on the other end.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone hasnt moved since it moved on the first day! It is an RBTA. However, if I had any recommendation it would be that trying to move them or do stuff to RBTA can easily kill or stress them out just best to let them live the way they want and if you don't like the spot he will eventually split and you will get one in another spot. They are super delicate. I already ticked mine off big time a few weeks ago.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone hasnt moved since it moved on the first day! It is an RBTA. However, if I had any recommendation it would be that trying to move them or do stuff to RBTA can easily kill or stress them out just best to let them live the way they want and if you don't like the spot he will eventually split and you will get one in another spot. They are super delicate. I already ticked mine off big time a few weeks ago.

I added an rbta just over a week ago from my lfs but it only came in from a tank shut down the day before so was in 3 tanks over 3 days, it split night one due to changes but both haven't really moved since. :)

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an rbta just over a week ago from my lfs but it only came in from a tank shut down the day before so was in 3 tanks over 3 days, it split night one due to changes but both haven't really moved since. :)

2 for 1! I wish mine split on arrival..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back