Anemones & Nano-Flow

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to find my anemone had moved to a new spot!

He is now on the back wall of my tank – this has never happened he's usually hiding down in the rocks…

I have to say, he is looking happier than he has looked at while. My concern is that he is awfully close to my little circulating pump. He crawled up safely, what are the odds that he just lets go and get sucked through this pump? I am already over cautious because I have lost a couple of critters to it.
0446ba6557dfae888678c7faeecbf269.jpg

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything can happen, you can move the pump and see if he moves again. He may just like the flow around the pump. You can buy another small power head and get the flown up in your tank so he doesnt keep chasen that pump around for flow.

Nems will run you crazy worried about were they are in your tank. They have a mind of their own and dont care where you would like them, only where they want to be.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was my Nem, I would turn off the pump, put him back on the rocks, but maybe in a higher position then he was before and turn the pumps back on once it looks like he has reattached his foot to the area you placed him. When Nems move it means they don't like something about where you had them before. You're going to have to learn what this guy likes through trial and error. Change light it receives, change flow it receives...etc.

Sadly when some start "walking" they actually just start floating around until they land and try that spot out for a while. If that guy decides he's not happy there and let's go you're 5 seconds away from a complete disaster. Sadly this is a reality you will have for the rest of the time you own that Nem. At least move it away from the pump to give it a better chance.

Also if it was me I would get a pair of pantyhose to put over the powerhead for a few days/weeks until it looks like he's found a spot he likes. Sadly when you remove the pantyhose it will change flow some and he may move again because of it, but right now you KNOW he's trying to move so you should probably take some precautions to prevent a mess.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, is that a Long Tent Anemone? On second look it looks kind of like one, if that's the case try the base of the rock in the sand.

EDIT:
BTAs go on the rocks
LTAs go in the sand 90% of the time.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wife would probably be less happy about having to restart the entire tank because the Nem nuked it, rather then the dollar store pair of pantyhose.

P.S. You can use this excuse with success, just remember to leave out the part about where the pantyhose came from :p

OP
OP
justjes45

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha! Thanks all, it is an anemone- he is smothering a coral I glued to the back of the tank... I will cover the circulator and hope for the best- they really look too happy to mess with..
This anemone likes to circle the tank... This is the first time he has crawled on the back wall however...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back