Anenome help

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before dinos and my fish dying I had 2 blenny, 2 clown, 2 firefish lots of coral. I always have my hands in the tank and try to take out leftover food. When my tank crashed there were so many dead detritus worms so that may be a factor as well
so you had dinos and a tank crash that killed everything... how is that not supporting my statement?

again, i am not saying it is impossible with basic equipment, just more work.

(not trying to pick a fight here.. really.. just trying to support that there are various ways to keep a tank going, many work, but some are definitely preferred).

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you had dinos and a tank crash that killed everything... how is that not supporting my statement?

again, i am not saying it is impossible with basic equipment, just more work.

(not trying to pick a fight here.. really.. just trying to support that there are various ways to keep a tank going, many work, but some are definitely preferred).
Dinos were from switching to a new filter and accidentally leaving the filter off while I had them and suffocating everything. Nothing to do with cannister vs sump lol

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos were from switching to a new filter and accidentally leaving the filter off while I had them and suffocating everything. Nothing to do with cannister vs sump lol
Your not trying to support different methods you're placing one method above others and stating a cannister filter is more work. Thats the debate right now.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank was only set up for 4 days, and the ammonia is coming up, I am not sure how you can keep any animal in it until it cycle.
You need to bring all the animal back to the LFS or board them at some other tanks. They should not have sell you the animals even before your tank cycle. The ammonia, and nitrite will kill everything in short order.
Why is the nitrate 40? I guess most of the water was from an old and dirty tank. That will not help your tank to cycle any faster.
You need much more light in order to keep the anemones, and you need the tank to be cycled before you even think about add the animals.

Your start is so messed up that I am not sure what you can do. I am really sorry that the LFS sell the animals to you. If you have to, I guess you can add some ammonia lock chemical daily, don't feed the animals at all, and do huge water change daily. If you have to do huge water change 90%+ of the water daily to get rid of the ammonia, you just use tap water and de-chlorinated it prior to use.

I think all the animals in your tank are as good as dead if you are unable to put them in another cycled tank.

You need help keep your tank crash and burn, wipe out everything.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is an emergency stop gap.. not a good method of control.

i am sorry - i feel bad. i think you read the wrong books and got the wrong info on this hobby... this forum is a great place to start, but you are starting from a really bad (tough) point.
Yea, i knew i was going to make some mistakes, but I didn’t think I’d have loss of life so early. Between bad

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, i knew i was going to make some mistakes, but I didn’t think I’d have loss of life so early. Between bad
As many of the people joining this forum have stated, yes, i made a critical error(s). Being new to the saltwater community and marine care i was expecting to make a mistake here and there. However, i was unfortunately guided in the wrong direction by the LFS that sold me the aquatic life and the equipment that went along with it. ( i.e. lighting parameters, hosting anenomes etc...)

But what i am attempting to do is save the anenome. I have received a lot of good advice from several of you, and i thank you for it. I will not accept the idea that everything in the tank will die in the coming days if there is something i can do about it.

I will be switching from tap water supply to RODI. I am going to begin daily water changes @ 5gal per day. I will continue to test the water parameters 3x per day.

I am lowering the feeding to 1x per day to help control the ammonia level. Nitrites are still reading 0. Nitrates are holding between 30 & 40 ppm.

I am aiming to create a reef tank in the future, but understand that i am a long way off. At that time i will switch to a sump system and add the protein skimmer. That however is not my immediate concern, but i digress.

I understand that without pictures it is difficult to make an accurate judgement call on the anenome. I will post an update in the next few minutes and hopefully include a pic with where I’m currentyt at with the anenome. Ther have been major changes in its behavior. Hopefully i can put the pic in and see what you all think, or if anyone has had a similar experience.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of the people joining this forum have stated, yes, i made a critical error(s). Being new to the saltwater community and marine care i was expecting to make a mistake here and there. However, i was unfortunately guided in the wrong direction by the LFS that sold me the aquatic life and the equipment that went along with it. ( i.e. lighting parameters, hosting anenomes etc...)

But what i am attempting to do is save the anenome. I have received a lot of good advice from several of you, and i thank you for it. I will not accept the idea that everything in the tank will die in the coming days if there is something i can do about it.

I will be switching from tap water supply to RODI. I am going to begin daily water changes @ 5gal per day. I will continue to test the water parameters 3x per day.

I am lowering the feeding to 1x per day to help control the ammonia level. Nitrites are still reading 0. Nitrates are holding between 30 & 40 ppm.

I am aiming to create a reef tank in the future, but understand that i am a long way off. At that time i will switch to a sump system and add the protein skimmer. That however is not my immediate concern, but i digress.

I understand that without pictures it is difficult to make an accurate judgement call on the anenome. I will post an update in the next few minutes and hopefully include a pic with where I’m currentyt at with the anenome. Ther have been major changes in its behavior. Hopefully i can put the pic in and see what you all think, or if anyone has had a similar experience.

dont get too frustrated here.. we all have been where you are. the issue is that some things are not reversible (or easily reversible).. if the anemone is too far gone, i dont know anyone here that could help you save it.. many animals dont show signs of distress until its too late (with what we know about marine life).. the fish are much easier to maintain.. if they havent shown any issues, then water changes to keep ammonia (primary) and nitrates (secondary) down until the tank is actually cycled is possible - just requires work. - again this assumes you're not using tap water - b/c there are all sorts of toxins in there that you are not testing for (toxic to marine life not humans).

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck! We all hope everything pulls through. Keep us updated on progress!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one killer is going to be the ammonia then the nitrite. That will kill your tank, no exception

if you cannot take care of this problem you may as well as just flush all the animals down to toilet and start over.
5 gal is 10% of your water is not going to help. You need to remove 80%+ of the ammonia daily. Meaning 80%+ of the water need to be change. You need to add ammolock or ammoquel. I am not sure of the spelling here but these are chemical that can chemically detoxifying ammonia.
Once you can handle the ammonia, then you can go to treat the animals for sickness and infection that come with stress and fill damage due to ammonia exposure. Sorry but even I who have keep marine aquarium for 40+ years can deal with what you are in right now effectively.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one killer is going to be the ammonia then the nitrite. That will kill your tank, no exception

if you cannot take care of this problem you may as well as just flush all the animals down to toilet and start over.
5 gal is 10% of your water is not going to help. You need to remove 80%+ of the ammonia daily. Meaning 80%+ of the water need to be change. You need to add ammolock or ammoquel. I am not sure of the spelling here but these are chemical that can chemically detoxifying ammonia.
Once you can handle the ammonia, then you can go to treat the animals for sickness and infection that come with stress and fill damage due to ammonia exposure. Sorry but even I who have keep marine aquarium for 40+ years can deal with what you are in right now effectively.
i sort of agree.. a 10-20% change a day.. will keep the tank in check.. (not monthly or weekly... daily). i would do agree a large change to reduce and then daily changes would be an even better approach.

now.. how he is showing ammonia and nitrate, but no nitrite is a bit confusing.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anenome :

It has since moved from the spot it picked when i first added it to the tank. Roughly 5hrs ago it tipped over and stayed on its side. I knew it was either moving or beginning to fail. The white discharge i saw was minor, not long stringy or large amounts and it only happened once, just prior to tipping over.

At this stage ( hopefully the pic uploaded and you can see what I’m talking about) the anenome is attempting to hide under a dry rock that was added the day before adding the anenome. The dry rocl does have a large arc that has been used as hiding places for basically everything else in the tank up to this point.

Note : all other aqua life is showing no signs of distress or sickness.

Now i am slightly confused. I turned the light system on max to give it as much light as i could, (peak lighting @ 65 par @ 12” according to the specs in the manual). It seems to me that now the anenome is attempting to hide in the “cave” to escape the light. I know it was suggested earlier that my light was insufficient, and anenomes need around 200+ par to survive and stay healthy. I did a light amount of reading on the idea, and found articles stating the same thing. Between 150-200 par.

I don’t want to stop the anenome from doing what it thinks will save it, i have read that if i pick it up and place it again it may respond, or it may not and attempt to go back to what it was doing.

I don’t want to add stress on it, so I’m all ears to hear what you guys think.

Attachments

• DF531354-4EBB-4CA1-A71E-65DE1B500712.jpeg
    DF531354-4EBB-4CA1-A71E-65DE1B500712.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 48

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anenome :

It has since moved from the spot it picked when i first added it to the tank. Roughly 5hrs ago it tipped over and stayed on its side. I knew it was either moving or beginning to fail. The white discharge i saw was minor, not long stringy or large amounts and it only happened once, just prior to tipping over.

At this stage ( hopefully the pic uploaded and you can see what I’m talking about) the anenome is attempting to hide under a dry rock that was added the day before adding the anenome. The dry rocl does have a large arc that has been used as hiding places for basically everything else in the tank up to this point.

Note : all other aqua life is showing no signs of distress or sickness.

Now i am slightly confused. I turned the light system on max to give it as much light as i could, (peak lighting @ 65 par @ 12” according to the specs in the manual). It seems to me that now the anenome is attempting to hide in the “cave” to escape the light. I know it was suggested earlier that my light was insufficient, and anenomes need around 200+ par to survive and stay healthy. I did a light amount of reading on the idea, and found articles stating the same thing. Between 150-200 par.

I don’t want to stop the anenome from doing what it thinks will save it, i have read that if i pick it up and place it again it may respond, or it may not and attempt to go back to what it was doing.

I don’t want to add stress on it, so I’m all ears to hear what you guys think.
How is the flow in your tank? Maybe shut off powerheads until it attaches and cut the lights. Hoping its something that simple

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i sort of agree.. a 10-20% change a day.. will keep the tank in check.. (not monthly or weekly... daily). i would do agree a large change to reduce and then daily changes would be an even better approach.

now.. how he is showing ammonia and nitrate, but no nitrite is a bit confusing.

the nitrite and nitrate confused me at first also. But then i tested my tap, which is the base water supply i used to fill the tank 5 days ago. It came out showing 20 ppm.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow in your tank? Maybe shut off powerheads until it attaches and cut the lights. Hoping its something that simple
I also add an airstone anytime I have problems haha just incase.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I closed 1 power head, and dimmed the lighting to about 40%. As soon as i did that the anenome released its footing, and began trying to fit under a rock formation. Now this creature for 2 days has been at full bloom, with a disc size roughly around 7”, with the tentacles ranging from 1.5” to about 6.5”.... it is not a small creature lol.... which has me very concerned about its new attempt to fit into this area

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a pic of the nems mouth?

otherwise - just do your water changes keep the ammonia down with water changes (remember to let the new water mix for several hours) and dont stress... you have created more work by adding all these guys too early.. but with effort, it is just more work.. not an impossible task.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back