Anenome help

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anenome Help

Hello, i am new to the saltwater community and i believe i may have made a crucial error. Decided i was going to start up a saltwater reef tank, did my reading, knew i had to take it seriously.

Setup : 55g tank ; eheim 600 classic @ 264gph ; 200w heater ; (2) Koralia power heads @ 565gph (placed left side rear 2” below water surface and right side front 3.5” below water surface.) each power head pointing across length of tank ; CoraLife Seascape L.E.D. Lighting @ Avg output 12” 65 par peak (42 avg)

Habitat : crushed coral substrate, (1) large live rock, several dry rock placed in tank.

Livestock : (2) Fire/Cinnamon Clowns (1 medium size female, 1 small male) ; Green Wolf Eel ; (2) Hermit Crabs ; (2) Anenomes

Tank parameters : as of 8am 1/26/21
PH - 8.2
AMMONIA - .75 (spiked from .15 previous day)
NITRITE - 0PPM
NITRATE - 40 PPM
SALINITY - 1.024
TEMP - 82 DEGREES (F)

Right now the clowns and the blenny are fine, no signs of stress or struggle. Crabs as well.

However, this i believe is my crucial error, the Anenomes. The first is a Long tentacle anenome. A beautiful purple tentacle, red footed Macrodactyla. When fully bloomed tentacles are about 4”-6”, disc is 5” in diameter (est). The Anenome has taken hold in the substrate since its first day and has bonded with both clowns. Has taken food and goes thru its deflating cycle at night, coming back to full bloom in the morning. I have noticed that its mouth, is now open consistently and i have noticed a white-ish discharge coming from it. I don’t want to lose it, so any advice on how to save it, please. It would be much appreciated.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anenome Help

Hello, i am new to the saltwater community and i believe i may have made a crucial error. Decided i was going to start up a saltwater reef tank, did my reading, knew i had to take it seriously.

Setup : 55g tank ; eheim 600 classic @ 264gph ; 200w heater ; (2) Koralia power heads @ 565gph (placed left side rear 2” below water surface and right side front 3.5” below water surface.) each power head pointing across length of tank ; CoraLife Seascape L.E.D. Lighting @ Avg output 12” 65 par peak (42 avg)

Habitat : crushed coral substrate, (1) large live rock, several dry rock placed in tank.

Livestock : (2) Fire/Cinnamon Clowns (1 medium size female, 1 small male) ; Green Wolf Eel ; (2) Hermit Crabs ; (2) Anenomes

Tank parameters : as of 8am 1/26/21
PH - 8.2
AMMONIA - .75 (spiked from .15 previous day)
NITRITE - 0PPM
NITRATE - 40 PPM
SALINITY - 1.024
TEMP - 82 DEGREES (F)

Right now the clowns and the blenny are fine, no signs of stress or struggle. Crabs as well.

However, this i believe is my crucial error, the Anenomes. The first is a Long tentacle anenome. A beautiful purple tentacle, red footed Macrodactyla. When fully bloomed tentacles are about 4”-6”, disc is 5” in diameter (est). The Anenome has taken hold in the substrate since its first day and has bonded with both clowns. Has taken food and goes thru its deflating cycle at night, coming back to full bloom in the morning. I have noticed that its mouth, is now open consistently and i have noticed a white-ish discharge coming from it. I don’t want to lose it, so any advice on how to save it, please. It would be much appreciated.
40 ppm is on the high end for nitrates.... good thing is it has managed to plant itself in the substrate. What and how often have you been feeding it? How long has the tank been up and running?

My long tent, will occasionally have some discharge usually after feeding once a week a small piece of scallop or shrimp....
A pic would help...
82 is on the high end for temp, in saying that, I keep mine 81-82 without issue.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a bit low shoot for 1.025 to 1.026. Temp I like 78-80. Ammonia is elevated I'd do 5g water changes once daily until it goes down. How long has the tank been set up?

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 ppm is on the high end for nitrates.... good thing is it has managed to plant itself in the substrate. What and how often have you been feeding it? How long has the tank been up and running?

My long tent, will occasionally have some discharge usually after feeding once a week a small piece of scallop or shrimp....
A pic would help...
82 is on the high end for temp, in saying that, I keep mine 81-82 without issue.

Tank has been up and running for 4 days. The initial setup was dry substrate and 1 lg live rock and 1 large dry rock.

Feeding has been with the routine fish feeding. Ive seen the anenome grab the food with its tentacles. I haven’t been intentionally feeding with a tube directly above it.

I did add another live rock (10lbs) today to try and assist the bio filter. Also using stability additive over the course of the next several days to also assist in the building of the bio filter.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a bit low shoot for 1.025 to 1.026. Temp I like 78-80. Ammonia is elevated I'd do 5g water changes once daily until it goes down. How long has the tank been set up?
Tank has been up and running for 4 days. The initial setup was dry substrate and 1 lg live rock and 1 large dry rock.

Feeding has been with the routine fish feeding. Ive seen the anenome grab the food with its tentacles. I haven’t been intentionally feeding with a tube directly above it.

I did add another live rock (10lbs) today to try and assist the bio filter. Also using stability additive over the course of the next several days to also assist in the building of the bio filter.

I brought the temp down to 79-80 degrees as well.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oooh this is VERY early for the Nem! Things are going all sorts of crazy right now, and will for a while. Especially with the live and dry rock combo... hate to say it but imo it will be a small miracle if this Nem makes it...
So anyway the tank is at 4 days old period, ie: just starting its cycle? If so the other inhabitants listed are in some serious jeopardy as well imo....if the cycle has been going for a considerable period longer, well then we have some hope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh this is VERY early for the Nem! Things are going all sorts of crazy right now, and will for a while. Especially with the live and dry rock combo... hate to say it but imo it will be a small miracle if this Nem makes it...
That’s what i thought as well, i had done a lot of reading prior to buying the livestock, and in most cases all material recommended to wait for the tank to cycle. But when i was in the fish store the guy said this particular species was “hardy” and would do well as long as i kept parameters to certain levels. Ive been testing twice a day and literally staring at the tank endlessly.

I bought the second live rock with the idea that my hands are tied with what i can do to support the animal. I’m willing to try anything to save it but don’t want to put more stress on the tank, knowing that will only assist in further harming it.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going through all sorts of changes in this early stage. Let is stabilize for a bit. Your nems would've appreciated that.

Best not to rush
I didn’t want to rush it, but was told this species was “hardy” by the fish store associate. As long as i kept the tank parameters in check.

If there anything i can do to help the anenome, I’m willing to do it. I’m trying to jumpstart the bio filter in hopes that it could add some support.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do water changes until you bring down those nitrates.
Do you have the right light to keep an anemone?
What are you feeding the anemone?

2. If you can, return the anemone back to the LFS. Once, you get your tank stabilized, buy it back or purchase another.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what i thought as well, i had done a lot of reading prior to buying the livestock, and in most cases all material recommended to wait for the tank to cycle. But when i was in the fish store the guy said this particular species was “hardy” and would do well as long as i kept parameters to certain levels. Ive been testing twice a day and literally staring at the tank endlessly.

I bought the second live rock with the idea that my hands are tied with what i can do to support the animal. I’m willing to try anything to save it but don’t want to put more stress on the tank, knowing that will only assist in further harming it.
That dude at the fish store oughta be arrested...
As @Specific Ocean mentioned, follow this advise. Return the Nem if possible, water changes... I honestly worry about the other inhabitants as well. Too early for them imo.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do water changes until you bring down those nitrates.
Do you have the right light to keep an anemone?
What are you feeding the anemone?

2. If you can, return the anemone back to the LFS. Once, you get your tank stabilized, buy it back or purchase another.
I’m planning on getting about 20 gal of RODI tomorrow morning and doing a 10gal water change tomorrow and then 2 days after.

The light I’m using is the CoraLife Seascape 54”. The specs say : Avg output @12” (42 avg PAR & 65 peak PAR)

As far as feeding, I’m not using the direct method of using a tube to directly feed it. As i routinely feed the fish ( defrosted mysis, brine, & Krill cubes) the anenome will “grab” the food as it floats by. Being as it bonded with the 2 clowns, i read that they also help feed their host.

Returning the anenome is not an option. I spoke with the LFS where i purchased everything, and they do not accept livestock returns. So i am determined to save it, support it, whatever i can do. Any advice is appreciated.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dude at the fish store oughta be arrested...
As @Specific Ocean mentioned, follow this advise. Return the Nem if possible, water changes... I honestly worry about the other inhabitants as well. Too early for them imo.
The other inhabitants seem to be fine, I’ve read numerous articles, forums and such on what to watch for in regards to stress, or struggling aqua life. I am very aware that my expertise level is basically 0 at this stage so i will defer to all experienced reef aquarists suggestions.

As i replied to @Specific Ocean, returning any of the inhabitants is not possible. So my only option is to attempt to support the marine life as best as i can. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone above seems to have given you good advice (except your LFS).. the nem is likely hardy, maybe very hardy... for a nem. that doesn't mean you can drop it in a new tank (uncycled).

you're best bet is to lighten your feeding, do 5-10 gallon water changes every 24 hours or so and hope for the best.

your tank is a little too warm, salinity isn't bad but could be a little higher.. nitrates are high, but aren't really the issue yet .. other than you have high nitrates on day 4 which is really weird. you will need a better light. Nems are need lots of light..

again right now your only real hope is lots of water changes to keep the ammonia in check!! also.. don't use freshly made saltwater in your changes.,.make it 24 hours + ahead of time.. otherwise you'll just compound your issues.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment do you suggest? I will look tomorrow when i go for the RODI
the light wont kill your nem quickly.. you have time there.. the ammonia in your tank will kill everything if not kept in check until your bacteria settles in.. light feeding and water changes are what you need.. what kind of filtration do you have?

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone above seems to have given you good advice (except your LFS).. the nem is likely hardy, maybe very hardy... for a nem. that doesn't mean you can drop it in a new tank (uncycled).

you're best bet is to lighten your feeding, do 5-10 gallon water changes every 24 hours or so and hope for the best.

your tank is a little too warm, salinity isn't bad but could be a little higher.. nitrates are high, but aren't really the issue yet .. other than you have high nitrates on day 4 which is really weird. you will need a better light. Nems are need lots of light..

again right now your only real hope is lots of water changes to keep the ammonia in check!! also.. don't use freshly made saltwater in your changes.,.make it 24 hours + ahead of time.. otherwise you'll just compound your issues.

Your advice is greatly appreciated, so far everyone has suggested a 5-10 gal water change. So that is on the docket to set up immediately. I will get the water ready tomorrow morning and change the water every 24 hrs @ 5 gal per change.

I will drop the feeding routine down from 3x per day to 1x per day, to assist with lowering the ammonia level.

The nitrate issue is with the base water I’m using (tap water). Will switch completely to RODI.

What salinity level do you recommend. 1.025+ ?

I lowered the temp, 79-80 degrees F.

Any suggestions on a light system to purchase? Someone did say that anenomes require 200+ par. The lfs said that the CoraLife seascape would be more than sufficient, but at this stage I’m looking for a new supplier. So far their knowledge regarding anenomes has been sub par, and will likely cost me the inhabitants life unfortunately. I will do what i can to support the creature. Hoping it will be enough.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the light wont kill your nem quickly.. you have time there.. the ammonia in your tank will kill everything if not kept in check until your bacteria settles in.. light feeding and water changes are what you need.. what kind of filtration do you have?
Filtration is Eheim 600 @ 264 g/hr.... basically turns my tank over 5x in an hr.

Back