OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiousity, is your LFS a petco or petsmart? that could be the root of your advice issues.. unless you get really lucky, most likely just a store employee with basic knowledge.

just stick to what you're doing. get good clean rodi to mix with the salt.. keep your ammonia under control with water changes until your tank bacteria matures.. (that will take about a month). the water changes will also take care of your nitrate issue. whether you can save the guys you have now is a bit of determination and luck.. ammonia will burn the fishes gills and cause other issues - whether they are too far gone or not is a bit of the luck portion.. clowns are pretty hardy (as far as fish go). the nem is a crap shoot.. those guys can be tricky on a good day.

i also wouldnt stress too much about testing other parameters at this time.. as log as you're doing your water changes with RODI (with a TDS of ZERO) - testing with your current kit is all you need. (when that runs out, i would suggest looking for a better set of tests).

phosphates and such will be taken care of with your water changes at this point.. and the guys you have aren't very finicky to phosphates - you would need to test for that if you get into more difficult corals.
No, LFS is the only private owned saltwater supplier around me, unless i travel 45 mins west on the island lol... which i may have to do now.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There got to be a lot of LFS in NYC? If not Long Island.
There are several, but I’ve only found 3 near me. I live out in Suffolk county on LI so things get a little few and far between the further east on the island you go. After today I’m going to to another shop that’s still pretty close. See what they are about. If what they say lines up with the advice I’ve received here on this forum, then i know I’m in the right spot.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions for online supplies?
2 biggies are bulk reef supply and marine depot. there are several others.. again look around.. some are better for certain things.. there are also good places to buy fish/inverts.. but that can be a gamble if you don't shop the right places..

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote the protocol on Anemone treatment with Cipro. You need to get your tank stable first. The anemone is not doing well because of the cycling tank. You may want to bring the anemone our to a small hospital tank to keep the water condition good. You need a whole new set of mini equipment for this however. PH, Heater, light, and daily water change.
Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum
agreed! medication is not the issue (or the resolution).. the inhabitants are being poisoned (ammonia).

and also agree - removing the nem from the fish is advised if it is starting to die because it will poison and foul the water for the fish (killing them).

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote the protocol on Anemone treatment with Cipro. You need to get your tank stable first. The anemone is not doing well because of the cycling tank. You may want to bring the anemone our to a small hospital tank to keep the water condition good. You need a whole new set of mini equipment for this however. PH, Heater, light, and daily water change.
Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum
I will defer to your direction on this but i have an idea. If you think it will work, and give the animal chance i willl set it up tomorrow. If you say no go, don’t even try, then i will heed the advice.

If, i set up a new tank, (i think i have a 25, and i believe a 46 gallon tank) and put live substrate( approx 3” deep), 1 live rock, heater, small light fixture (150+ par), and mix the water and add the bio filter additive, all my parameters will be zero until the bio filter kicks in and then anenome begins to respond.... i do an 80%-90% water change daily, while adding the cipro treatment... do i have a shot at saving the animal?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, LFS is the only private owned saltwater supplier around me, unless i travel 45 mins west on the island lol... which i may have to do now.
TRAVEL! Or online.... because this line concerns me quite a bit 'I asked the guys at the store if i should testing for anything else and they said no. All I would ever need to test for would be those items'. They are totally unknowing, or simply looking for your money. Get them OUT of your life stat....

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your whole post. I’m sorry you got poor advice in the beginning. But now you’re here. If I was you, I think the best course forward is this:

1) take all your media out of your Eheim and run it empty. Nothing inside. Take out all the filtration media. Run it empty. Filtration media inside will set you up for future problems. Use it to only circulate water. You have it, just use it, only empty.

2) find a local that will sell you 30 pounds of VERY ESTABLISHED live rock from a tank that’s been up and running for years, that’s in good condition. There is bacteria colonies, shallow and deep, in the rock that is critical. Takes time to establish, and that’s why I’d look for an established tank to buy rock from. This will DRASTICALLY cut your cycle time. THIS, will be your best chance at a fast cycle. If nothing else is done, this will be the best chance at stabilizing.

3) a skimmer is critical. Get a HOB (hang on back) if you don’t have a sump. A skimmer pulls out crap from the water that will break down, get it out before it has a chance to add to the levels. Skim wet at first. Skimming wet gets out the stuff that breaks down fast.

4) RO is required. Do daily water changes to keep ammonia low.

IMO, 82 isn’t a bad temp. It just accelerates things. My water I keep 1.026-1.027 I find 1.027 is best for my anemones, gone as high as 1.029 (and that’s not good either) but my rock is over a decade old, some maybe 2 decades. Aged rock is the secret. I can get away with a lot of mistakes because of old aged rock.

Next, your light is way too low for anemone, but they can live with low light a while, they will die fast with ammonia. Light can get tackled after water quality is figured out. Fish pee, an ammonia addition, everyday. Cut your feeding way down. Everything you add to the tank has to get broken down, and adds to the ammonia everyday.

I would look for aged rock, #1 on my list of what can I do to help. #2 is wet skim. In the mean time, daily water changes will be a must. Best of luck.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the effort in treating with Cipro isn’t going to help. “Sometimes the juice ain’t worth the squeeze”. Water quality is the issue, (Along with too low lighting) such a young tank, you got to find aged rock to buy you time. Find a local and try getting HEALTHY, aged rock. Best bang for the buck.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the anemone out and keep him in a hospital tank with no rock or sand. He will be fine with light and no feeding for weeks like that and will not put out any ammonia without feeding. You will need heater and PH for circulation and need a divider to keep the anemone from get to the PH. You can get a cheap day light LED bulb and cheat clip on socket to give the anemone some light.
You can also do similar to keep the fish. You will need to check ammonia and change the water as needed to keep ammonia down.
Nothing except some very hardy invertebrates will live through cycle. You much have your tank cycle first before you can keep animal living in it. Establish LR and establish sand will quickly cycle your tank

What you are going through, most of us never go through. I never have to cycle a tank and trying to keep sensitive animal alive through it, even when I first start keeping marine aquarium. Certainly never in the last 40+ years.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will defer to your direction on this but i have an idea. If you think it will work, and give the animal chance i willl set it up tomorrow. If you say no go, don’t even try, then i will heed the advice.

If, i set up a new tank, (i think i have a 25, and i believe a 46 gallon tank) and put live substrate( approx 3” deep), 1 live rock, heater, small light fixture (150+ par), and mix the water and add the bio filter additive, all my parameters will be zero until the bio filter kicks in and then anenome begins to respond.... i do an 80%-90% water change daily, while adding the cipro treatment... do i have a shot at saving the animal?
As we have not heard ,and the sheer odds involved, I am assuming this Nem went to tentacle heaven? If not and you have pulled off the comeback of all time, then indeed masterful work....

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we have not heard ,and the sheer odds involved, I am assuming this Nem went to tentacle heaven? If not and you have pulled off the comeback of all time, then indeed masterful work...
To be totally honest, i got so wrapped up in the aquarium, i was dealing with several other issues that came up with it i totally forgot to update you guys on it...

I’m very happy to say that the Nem did survive. Both of them actually, the one in question thru a bunch more reading and research i believe is an H. Crispa.

The foot has healed nicely since getting injured, and the water PMs have been stable for a little over 2 weeks. Except for the nitrates, these are a little high. I had a diatom bloom, and a green algae bloom about 3 weeks ago, i read that is a good sign of the tank beginning to mature. Upped my CUC to include a trail mix of snails.

The 2 fire clowns it bonded with are taking very good care of it. The Nem has been moving around the tank, its almost a daily routine to see where it’ll end up lol, but i think its found a spot that it likes. Footed right beside one of the larger LR that was added to the tank.

It was a lot of work, but by using pretty much everything offered in this thread plus a little luck, the save was a success. Needless to say, it’ll be a while before i add anymore Nems to any setups, lol.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be totally honest, i got so wrapped up in the aquarium, i was dealing with several other issues that came up with it i totally forgot to update you guys on it...

I’m very happy to say that the Nem did survive. Both of them actually, the one in question thru a bunch more reading and research i believe is an H. Crispa.

The foot has healed nicely since getting injured, and the water PMs have been stable for a little over 2 weeks. Except for the nitrates, these are a little high. I had a diatom bloom, and a green algae bloom about 3 weeks ago, i read that is a good sign of the tank beginning to mature. Upped my CUC to include a trail mix of snails.

The 2 fire clowns it bonded with are taking very good care of it. The Nem has been moving around the tank, its almost a daily routine to see where it’ll end up lol, but i think its found a spot that it likes. Footed right beside one of the larger LR that was added to the tank.

It was a lot of work, but by using pretty much everything offered in this thread plus a little luck, the save was a success. Needless to say, it’ll be a while before i add anymore Nems to any setups, lol.
Wow! You seriously defied the odds there...awesome news.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You seriously defied the odds there...awesome news.
Couldn’t have done it without all the help received from this thread. By putting together a theory and plan using all the advice given here, the save was nothing short of a miracle lol.... but the credit goes to all that posted... you guys played a key role in helping throughout the process.

Back