Angel fish compatibility question?

SOAHC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice...

I have a 220g reef to be tank. Currently has 2 clowns 1 yellow wrasse & Fox face.

I'd like to add the following 3 dwarf angel fish.
Yellow angel, Singapore angel & Rusty angel.

I know they an go after corals an I don't care to much about it, all I plan on having is zoa's, poyl's, mushrooms, torch, hammers & frog spawn.

I'll get all 3 small size and introduce at the same time, what are the chances of them getting along? I trying to get the nicest angels possible.

Thank you I appreciate any input.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t do it. Would think trouble will come, how bad anyone’s guess. All three at same time if you do

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Singapore isn't a dwarf angel so it is probably fine with centropyge. mixing 2 dwarf angels is always a risk. some get away with it. some people it works for a while sometimes years before suddenly aggression breaks out. In a 220gal with heavy rock work it is probably worth a try, so long as you are willing to deal with the effort of removing a fish should it go south.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 220g may be enough for 2 Centropyge to coexist but we can’t say for sure. Maybe give it a try but if I were you I’d try to get an angel of the genus Genicanthus instead of a second Centropyge. That’s Lamarck’s, Spot Breast, Bellus, Watanabei, Red Sea Lyretail etc. Other than the Lamarck’s you could even go for a pair of the other species. Males may be harder to find and I’m not sure if with 2 females one would eventually transition so ask for more opinions.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Yellow angel and Rusty angel will work in your tank as long as there is sufficient places for the fish to get out of the line of site of each other. The yellow (I assume you at talking about C. heraldi) is quite a shy fish which I have found spends most of it's time in and out of the rockwork and is peaceful. The Rusty, again I have found, is braver but is also quite peaceful. You may see the odd handbags but there is unlikely to be any real aggression.

On the 2 occasions I have tried Singapore angels I have never got them to feed properly and they eventually wasted away, but that was a while ago and they may be more robust these days.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 centropyges (multicolor and potters) in a 4' 100g, but i wouldn't call it a success just yet as it has only been a few months together. the potters is dominant, but is a much more chill fish than my flame angel was.

my plan was to add the flame as well, but i recently did a lot of searching and could not find a single instance of someone keeping 3+ centropyges in a tank my size, so i decided against it. some people recommended each centropyge needing about 50g/2' of space, but like pcon mentioned it seems sometimes it does go south even after existing together peacefully for a long time. so it's still a risk, but i'd totally do it in a 220g

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people like to maximise the numbers of different species they can keep together, and I can understand it, but how about trying to make and keep a pair of a single species, I find it is fascinating watching the interactions between them and once they have bonded there is little aggression between them. @Orion has a harem of Cherub angels. I currently have a pair of lemonpeels (early days 2 months) and a pair of coral beauties (just over a year). If you fancy something larger your tank should support a pair of Regal angels. It isn't easy to do but very rewarding.

The Lemonpeels

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SOAHC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I will only do 2 dwarf Angel fish. I thinking coral beauty & Singapore angel fish. How do you all feel about those 2 in a 220g. I'd put them in at the same time and get them as small/young as possible.

blueface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Shepard’s and a flame back in my 220 now for 4+years no issues what so ever.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame back is a jerk to all new comers and can’t imagine it accepting any other small angels. He is with an emperor but he’s afraid of him for obvious reasons. If I were to get multiples it would be a trio of them though. @OrionN would know best.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Dwarf angels will not be nasty with each other unless you have 2 males, or too small of an area for them. If they are juveniles or females of the same species, they only fight to show dominant, and rarely cause any injury. With other species is another mater.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Singapore is already peaceful
As long as you provide enough hiding and space- I believe it’s a good risk

OP
OP
S

SOAHC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the info I needed up buying a small Coral beauty and a small Eibli angel. So far they danced for the last few days but other then that nothing serious an things are slowly improving.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back