angler/scorpian fish....

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really interested in getting a angler fish or any of the related species similar. I have a 50 gallon aquarium. Could i get some reccomendations on which types would be best and simple care guide.

Thanks

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few different species of anglers. Do you have a certain one in mind? Care differences come about with different species.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like clown gobies the most. They stay relatively small though so maybe you could get him a tank buddy :p

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few different species of anglers. Do you have a certain one in mind? Care differences come about with different species.
nope, probably a species that doesnt get too large

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Lionfish lair is getting at, is they are species tanks. They eat other fish, anhtjing they think will fit...even other anglers.

Now if you had access to sargasm algae a sargasm angler would be cool. They live in the algae itself.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a 50 gallon tank and wasn't planning on any other fish, I would put a big ole commerson in there. Those things get crazy awesome big.

Just always keep this in mind.....

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a 50 gallon tank and wasn't planning on any other fish, I would put a big ole commerson in there. Those things get crazy awesome big.

Just always keep this in mind.....

OMG!
That appeared to be a Tang (?)in the last footage!! Every day I see something that has me rethinking my stocking plans:rolleyes:
How does the Weedy Scorpion fish go with Lionfish ie Fuzzy Dwarf?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Rhinopias frondosa? Their mouths are huge.

The videos are always a shocker. You hear lions/scorps grouped with anglers as being fish that can take down something their own size and bigger.... but no, no they can't..... not like that, they can't. There's only a handful of aquarium fish that could do anything close to that.

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thats the one! LFS mentioned as far as Scorpian fish they can get the Rhinopias frondosa or the Leaf Scorpian.
What was the fish in the first footage ie the one doing the devouring, not the one being lunch?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 painted anglers, they would get big enough to eat the yellow tank. Like the video they will eat something that is the same size as they are. A wartskin angler stays small, maybe about 4" full grown. Depending on the size of your yellow tang which by rights should be in a bigger tank. I think the eel would be safe, can't be 100% but I don't think the angler would be interested. Primarily anglers are best suited to a species tank and kept alone. The first one I had was 15 years ago and foolishly let it eat a fish close to it's own size, the angler died, we now know that's not a good idea. I kept my 2nd one just shy of 2 years, can't explain what happened to him.

IMG_20140708_210426.jpg

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest something from the ogcocephalus genus as a cool critter (and timid angler) to have, but I really don't think that a 50 gallon could fit most of the species in the genus.

This angler is particularly cool because it scuttles around like a crab.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back