OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos I took last night, I tried playing with all kinds of settings and got 1 good money shot. Honing in my skills. Also these pictures will serve as memorial pictures when the corals pass on :rolleyes:

20190123_184151.jpg
20190123_184424.jpg
20190123_184359.jpg
20190123_183723.jpg
20190123_183857.jpg
20190123_184436.jpg
20190123_183813.jpg
20190123_184052.jpg
20190123_184025.jpg
20190123_184128.jpg
20190123_183615.jpg
20190123_184111.jpg
20190123_183702.jpg

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received an Alert from my Apex stating there was no 'heartbeat'... what the means is that apex fusion is not detecting the apex. This could happen for a range of reasons (i.e. internet outage, power outage, cat ate the wire, system set on fire, tank collapsed, etc...).

I got home about an hour after the alarm triggered and the power was out. It was strange because 90% of the circuits on the breaker were tripped.... Fridge didn't trip though. Anyways everything was okay once I restored power... my skimmer though has been going crazy since. Not sure why, very foamy.

Other observations.... I tested PO4 and it is down to 0 now. Didn't expect that. Here is the progression of my PO4 level:
1/15: 85ppb = .261ppm
1/19: 20ppb = .061ppm
1/24: 0ppb = 0ppm :rolleyes:

That seems like a pretty quick drop to me and I never intended to drop them to 0. I've only been dosing 4mL of NOPOX daily. Which is half of a half dose. Algae has been taking off as the tank goes through the ugly stage. I think I'm just going to keep doing what I am currently doing and see if anything changes. I may drop the NOPOX dosing to 3mL and so on down until I see a balance.

Interested in anyone's experience with this.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the tank today:
Alk: 7.8
NO3: 0
PO4: 0

Going to see how long things stay at 0 and back off the nopox dosing slightly. I have no intentions of staying at 0.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received an Alert from my Apex stating there was no 'heartbeat'... what the means is that apex fusion is not detecting the apex. This could happen for a range of reasons (i.e. internet outage, power outage, cat ate the wire, system set on fire, tank collapsed, etc...).

I got home about an hour after the alarm triggered and the power was out. It was strange because 90% of the circuits on the breaker were tripped.... Fridge didn't trip though. Anyways everything was okay once I restored power... my skimmer though has been going crazy since. Not sure why, very foamy.

Other observations.... I tested PO4 and it is down to 0 now. Didn't expect that. Here is the progression of my PO4 level:
1/15: 85ppb = .261ppm
1/19: 20ppb = .061ppm
1/24: 0ppb = 0ppm :rolleyes:

That seems like a pretty quick drop to me and I never intended to drop them to 0. I've only been dosing 4mL of NOPOX daily. Which is half of a half dose. Algae has been taking off as the tank goes through the ugly stage. I think I'm just going to keep doing what I am currently doing and see if anything changes. I may drop the NOPOX dosing to 3mL and so on down until I see a balance.

Interested in anyone's experience with this.

It is strange to see PO4 to drop so suddenly after starting Nopox.
It usually takes some time as NO3 is the first to lower and PO4 to follow.

Would it not be that the algae are consuming all the PO4 as you mention these are taking off?

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is strange to see PO4 to drop so suddenly after starting Nopox.
It usually takes some time as NO3 is the first to lower and PO4 to follow.

Would it not be that the algae are consuming all the PO4 as you mention these are taking off?
I agree, it seems very strange to me. From what I've read NoPox will typically bring down NO3 much quicker in comparison to PO4. I would guess the algae helped it along?

Either way, I'll just have to stay the course and hope the algae doesn't overtake the corals lol... at this point what is bothering me more than the algae is the water clarity... It just refuses to clear up :mad:

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still really cloudy, glass has been pretty dirty as well and the skimmer is constantly overflowing daily. I suspect something happened within the tank during the small power outage. Not sure what it was and it was only an hour... but ever since then the skimmer has been going crazy. I'm also suspicious of the NOPOX dosing I've been adding. So I'm cutting this back in half to 2mL per day and I'll see over this week how everything reacts.

I did a 30g waterchange on Sunday and I'll do another later tonight just to help things along. Alkalinity is holding at 7.8 and the SPS corals are looking good still. I added my corals from the 120 and they are still getting adjusted. It is obvious though that this tank is set up to be an SPS tank. I will have to be very picky and careful about LPS or softie placement.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop dosing nopox as it’s probably just feeding the bacterial bloom and may have even caused it in the first place. I don’t think it’s the best idea to dose things like that in a brand new tank. It needs to find its own equilibrium. Also you don’t want 0 no3/po4.
I’m glad sps are doing good for you so far the pictures look great!

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop dosing nopox as it’s probably just feeding the bacterial bloom and may have even caused it in the first place. I don’t think it’s the best idea to dose things like that in a brand new tank. It needs to find its own equilibrium. Also you don’t want 0 no3/po4.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're absolutely correct. Last night i reduced the dosage to 2mL and today when I got home I noticed some positive changes. I'll ween down my dosage and keep an eye on the nutrients because you're correct I don't want them at 0. Eventually I will dose them if I ever need to...

Going to do another water change right now. While I do that... enjoy this picture of my skimmer ;)

20190129_153239.jpg

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased 50 hermit crabs from reefcleaners that are arriving today to combat the algae issues you see in post #243 .... and since I've made that purchase the problem (algae) has slowly improved ;Shifty So I might need to give some of these guys away after they get to work ;Hilarious

Carbon reactor is running the correct way now. I've also noticed something interesting as well. In a previous post I mentioned my PH peaking to 8.31... well it has not returned to that level since and the high is now around 8. Interesting to see because I believe this may indicate some type of maturity happening in the biological processes of the tank.

What do you guys want to see next on the build? Should we add more fish next or more corals? Maybe wrapping the stand? Let me know your thoughts because I could go a few different directions here. I'd like to get two small tangs, Naso and a Chevron or Lieutenant tang. My wife really wants a powder blue and so do I but I don't feel like dealing with their little man syndrome aggression issues. We have enough of that in our household already :rolleyes: Then after the tangs I want to wrap the stand to make it look more complete. Kind of a working my way from the outside in approach.

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i saw on the forums here nopox didn't reduce phosphates?

Tank is coming along nicely

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see the stand finished, I think it will look really nice with stone to match the fireplace. I'm also curious to see what you do for the doors.
Can we see a full tank shot? I understand if you want to hold off until the algae recedes a little more, though. Also, how are the 4 clowns all doing together? It would be pretty cool if they all just accepted each other long term.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see the stand finished, I think it will look really nice with stone to match the fireplace. I'm also curious to see what you do for the doors.
Can we see a full tank shot? I understand if you want to hold off until the algae recedes a little more, though. Also, how are the 4 clowns all doing together? It would be pretty cool if they all just accepted each other long term.

No worries I'm not trying to hide anything!
20190131_164901.jpg
20190131_164841.jpg
20190131_164940.jpg
20190131_164917.jpg
20190131_164958.jpg
20190131_165027.jpg
20190131_165019.jpg
20190131_164836.jpg
20190131_164822.jpg

I think I'll focus on finishing the stand next. The clowns are actually doing great, they hang out together, totally unexpected.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased 50 hermit crabs from reefcleaners that are arriving today to combat the algae issues you see in post #243 .... and since I've made that purchase the problem (algae) has slowly improved ;Shifty So I might need to give some of these guys away after they get to work ;Hilarious

Carbon reactor is running the correct way now. I've also noticed something interesting as well. In a previous post I mentioned my PH peaking to 8.31... well it has not returned to that level since and the high is now around 8. Interesting to see because I believe this may indicate some type of maturity happening in the biological processes of the tank.

What do you guys want to see next on the build? Should we add more fish next or more corals? Maybe wrapping the stand? Let me know your thoughts because I could go a few different directions here. I'd like to get two small tangs, Naso and a Chevron or Lieutenant tang. My wife really wants a powder blue and so do I but I don't feel like dealing with their little man syndrome aggression issues. We have enough of that in our household already :rolleyes: Then after the tangs I want to wrap the stand to make it look more complete. Kind of a working my way from the outside in approach.

I for one would love to see a few tangs in there! Naso and chevron sound great. I wonder if you’re wife would settle for a powder brown they’re supposed to be a lot less aggressive than the powder blue but I’m sure it varies from individual to individual.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would love to see a few tangs in there! Naso and chevron sound great. I wonder if you’re wife would settle for a powder brown they’re supposed to be a lot less aggressive than the powder blue but I’m sure it varies from individual to individual.
She said she likes the achilles tang which I would love as well. I'll need to double check if they're compatible. Not sure if I'd do all 3. I'm just thinking about space... I already have a pretty big foxface and my trigger will get big as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back