Angry Upgrade 120 to 230 Peninsula!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemiclean in the past and will not ever again.
It removes most of the bacteria from the tank and will create an imbalance from which corals can suffer.
In my tank it took several months before things went back to more or less stable.

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also used chemiclean in a reef tank twice with no issues. The cyano didn't come back either time, although it's only been 3 weeks since the last time I used it. I've heard that if the cyano is really bad the die off can cause the dissolve oxygen levels to drop in the tank so it's best to keep the skimmer running with the cup off. This let's the skimmer put oxygen back in the water without actually skimming the chemiclean out.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemiclean in the past and will not ever again.
It removes most of the bacteria from the tank and will create an imbalance from which corals can suffer.
In my tank it took several months before things went back to more or less stable.
I've also used chemiclean in a reef tank twice with no issues. The cyano didn't come back either time, although it's only been 3 weeks since the last time I used it. I've heard that if the cyano is really bad the die off can cause the dissolve oxygen levels to drop in the tank so it's best to keep the skimmer running with the cup off. This let's the skimmer put oxygen back in the water without actually skimming the chemiclean out.

Interesting Janci, I was considering adding in additional bacteria. I dose prodibio - bio digest every 2 weeks.

Kaxt, that is exactly what I've been reading and how I would run it. My feeling is I would like to target this bacteria in the tank and kill it - thus preventing it's return.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few shots of what I'm dealing with.

20190213_162634.jpg
20190213_162623.jpg
20190213_162654.jpg
20190213_162602.jpg
20190213_162614.jpg

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think, it is just normal dry rock uglies. don't encourage it, clean it manually. but don't resort to chemicals to get rid of it. I am thinking only age will
I can definitely clean it manually. I've blown out the sand and rocks a few times. I'm just really bothered it's covering the corals :mad:

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used chemi clean personally but my dad used it on his bio cube (it had tons of cyano for 6 months+) and chemi clean completely wiped it out. It was kinda crazy how well it worked. BUT it is a softy only tank so I couldn’t tell you how it might affect sps. Also, are you still dosing nopox? If so, I’d say this is another sign to stop using it

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used chemi clean personally but my dad used it on his bio cube (it had tons of cyano for 6 months+) and chemi clean completely wiped it out. It was kinda crazy how well it worked. BUT it is a softy only tank so I couldn’t tell you how it might affect sps. Also, are you still dosing nopox? If so, I’d say this is another sign to stop using it
You're going to shame me until I stop dosing the nopox ;Hilarious Still dosing 2ml. If I stop dosing the nopox I let the cyano win!

The real reason I don't want to stop is because I will lose that method of nutrient control. If I stopped it may go away but nutrients could also rise... but I will consider it after trying some other methods. :)

How long have you had it with this algae?
About a week. Noticed it slowly starting last Saturday.

This happened before but it did cover corals. I did nothing and it slowly went away on its on. A good week and a half of a nice tank and then this ;Hilarious

The real lesson here is never look at your tank and think "this is going great" :rolleyes:

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a recap of what I did. I got home from my work trip on Saturday and the tank looked much better than the pictures I posted above. After passing out for the rest of the day I got to work on Sunday taking care of these issues. First thing was to test the water parameters to see what was going on.

Water Parameters:
2/17:
NO3 - 1.5ppm
PO4 - 38ppb/.117ppm
Alk - 7.6
2/9:
NO3 - 0ppm
PO4 - 4ppb/.012ppm

What I see here is a somewhat drastic drop, especially in PO4. The only thing I added to the tank was 1 vial of prodibio biodigest on the 9th. So maybe that bacteria finally kicked in? Either way this nutrient drop is why I'm thinking I started to see things turning back around for the better.

But I still needed to take some action. Got out the python and started getting to work vacuuming the sandbed. This also allowed for a 40g waterchange which will help with the lower alk and decreased salinity levels. If you remember, my skimmer was going crazy for a while... as a result the salinity fell to 1.024. Remember to keep any eye on this if your skimmer is going nuts and you are emptying it often.

After the water change I added some chemiclean. I removed the skimmer cup and opened the skimmer air intake wide open... also turned on my air pump that I use for bubble scrubbing. Almost 24 hours in and everything is doing fine. We will see what happens moving forward.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a video update on the tank after my trip. Will do a write up tomorrow!

I always give myself about a month to try and fix it. Typically that fails and I go to Chemiclean lol. Followed the instructions and boom all fixed!

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home and things didn't look any better. Clearly not cyano. Was wishful thinking I suppose. So I vacuumed the sand once again and did a 40g water change. Threw in some fresh carbon as well. Also flooded the garage a little bit, about 10g... oops...

Plan of attack is not anything drastic. I ordered some vibrant and I want to give that a shot. Elisa continues to shame me for using NoPox so I reduced my dosage to 1ml and will ween off by the weekend depending on how things look. I'll also order some other bacteria's in attempt to restore balance. Lastly, someone was kind enough to offer me a UV sterilizer that they had just sitting around never used.

Luckily none of the clean up crew or fish seem impacted. Corals are definitely mad but hanging in there.

Side note...

Yesterday I opened the screen top just enough to scoop out some water to de-thaw some food. As I'm scooping the water my freaking midas blenny jumps out of the tank, scared the heck out of me, and goes onto the floor. Scooped him up immediate before any of the predators in the house noticed and he was fine. Didn't seem damaged and immediate ate when I fed. Amazing considering he fell about 6 feet. If I fell the equivalent distance for a human you'd figure I'd break something.

Video Records:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back