Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from the weekend.

Here's what I did:
  1. Performed another 25g water change on the system
  2. Dosed 16 caps of microbacter7 on Friday (double recommended dose)
  3. Dosed 20ml of vibrant on Saturday
  4. Sunday tested water parameters
    1. Alk - 8.0
    2. Calc - 440
    3. Mag - 1240
    4. NO3 - 0
    5. PO4 - 0
  5. Removed the wooden airblock I used for bubbling scrubbing - it had some kind of black growth on it and didn't want that in my tank. Trashed it.
  6. Cleaned ATO container - didn't seem that dirty but why not right?
I find it extremely interesting that my NO3 and PO4 have hit 0. I dosed NoPox at 1ml on Friday but not again since. Another reason I find it interesting is because my skimmer has essentially been offline for over a week. Since the chemiclean treatment it hasn't been fully back to normal. Late Sunday evening it all of a sudden started acting better though...

I'm not sure why exactly... but my water has never looked more crisp. Unsure if it is from anything that I've done recently or just the fact the nano bubbles from the skimmer finally stopped but I was blown away by the water clarity.

Dino's have not shown any improvements or signs of worsening. Will follow the path I'm currently on and hook up the UV on Tuesday. Late night for me tonight and won't get home in time to do anything :(

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AngryOwl I saw your Youtube video on your water station. I may have missed it but what type of pump do you use to filter your saltwater with your sediment filter? I was wondering how much head pressure it takes to push through the sediment filter?

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AngryOwl I saw your Youtube video on your water station. I may have missed it but what type of pump do you use to filter your saltwater with your sediment filter? I was wondering how much head pressure it takes to push through the sediment filter?
Thanks for watching :)it's just a little mj1200. Works good and that filter gets pretty dang dirty after a few mixes. You can get the reactor with the mj1200 at brs.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across your thread. Great progress so far. I hate to revisit a post from so long ago, but when they decided to replace the tank, why didn't they just custom make a ghost weir with the holes slightly closer top edge?
I didn't think about that but it may have worked. I think the concern was over the water line. They told me if they redid the box the water line would show under the trim. No problem revisiting old posts :) Thanks for reading through!

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday morning updates! Take a break from your boring job, hide in the bathroom and read my thread ;Hilarious

Tested the tank parameters Saturday.
Alk: 8.2
NO3: 0 :mad:
PO4: 42ppb or .12ppm

No Nitrates has me a little confused but PO4 shot up over this week. I've been feeding slightly more. An observation I've seen is my corals are looking a little happier as PO4 has increased. Now imagine if I can get these guys some NO3... I ordered some so I can begin dosing.

The fight against dinos continuous but I am seeing positive signs I think. The UV is up and running now and I did what I'm calling a UV Sterilizer Sand Vacuuming. More to come on this later. I've also dosed vibrant a few more times. Really hoping this trend continues!!

Not much else is happening with the tank right now. I'm just waiting to see how this dino situation ends before adding more stuff. Thinking some new fish are in the forecast though!

Some recent videos for your torture... I mean entertainment :rolleyes:

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated picture of the sand bed. 2 weeks ago vs now.
20190213_162614.jpg
now.
image-20190304_182232.jpg

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed doing a Monday update... so now you get a Tuesday update. Lucky you!

First things first.... I'm curious... how many of you are actively following this thread? Leave a like on this post if you're actively following along! And thanks if you are :)

Saturday's tests:
NO3 - .75ppm
PO4 - 27ppb or .083ppm

With the limited nitrates in the tank I decided to buy some Potassium Nitrate and mix that up for good measure to have on hand. Super cheap stuff anyways. Mixed it at 50g/500ml and dosed 4ml on Saturday night. Sunday afternoon the tank tested at 1.5ppm. I was out yesterday and couldn't test so I will need to test again today. I believe the small nitrate rise is due to a couple of things over the past week.
- Didn't change the filter pad for a week, let it stay in there filthy.
- Didn't do my weekly 25g (10%ish) waterchange
- Fed super heavy

So it makes sense to see a very small rise.... I just want to clear up something though... I'm not 'chasing' any particular number. It's becoming apparent the tank is running 'clean' on it's own in relationship to nitrates. I'm also going very slow with any dosing because I still need to see where things really end up at. So do not worry! If I was chasing a number it would be 4ppm btw so I never have to use the PITA red sea high range test :rolleyes:

Let's see.... what else....

I ordered and just received some Live Rock Enhance made by Reefbrite. I ordered it from melevsreef.com and Marc has had nothing but positive things to say about it. I figured I'd throw some in the tank because I'm just curious to see what happens and report back to him (and I guess all of you :rolleyes:).

Anyways... don't think there is anything else going on right now... still waiting on the sourcing of the stone for the stand and a few financial things to clear up before I add some new fish!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1... a little late to the party but definitely following. I was still amazed by the Whole Peeled Tomato tin in the video. LOL

Great Tunze hack. These cleaning magnets require some good finger muscle to clean a whole tank at once. But they are the best

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1... a little late to the party but definitely following. I was still amazed by the Whole Peeled Tomato tin in the video. LOL

Great Tunze hack. These cleaning magnets require some good finger muscle to clean a whole tank at once. But they are the best
;Hilarious You never know when I'm going to crack that can open! I appreciate you following along and enjoying the build!

Overall I do like the tunze better than the old flipper I had, I just don't understand the design for the outside grip they went with. If they made it a bit wider it would help out a ton.... but now that I have the handle its awesome :)

Thank you to everyone who is following along on the build actively or hiding in the shadows. You have many options where to fly so thank you for choosing AngryOwl :rolleyes:

Sneak peak... I'm going to change my YouTube name to incorporate AngryOwl :) Just waiting on an intro/logo redesign and then I'll make the official switch.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone who is following along on the build actively or hiding in the shadows. You have many options where to fly so thank you for choosing AngryOwl :rolleyes:

Nice. Do you serve free peanuts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back