Angry Upgrade 120 to 230 Peninsula!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lining up a ~$1000 fish order. It will include 4 fish. Should I tell you guys the fish or let you suffer a little bit? :rolleyes:

Pfff.. you can tell all you want.
Without pictures of the fish in your tank, we won't believe you.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday afternoon(ish) Update: Stop what you're doing and pay attention to me :rolleyes:

So above you will see my battle with dino's video update. I am calling this battle won. So what did I do?
  • Dosed Microbacter7
  • Dosed Vibrant
  • Dosed Phytoplankton
  • Dosed Cocopods
  • Performed a UV sterilizer vacuuming (my patented design ;))
  • Ran the UV sterilizer 24/7 after vacuuming
  • Let the tank run dirtier (leaving filter pads in, feeding heavy)
  • Stopped dosing NOPOX
Those are all steps I took. None helped more drastically than the UV vacuuming and leaving the UV on 24/7.

After I took that video I really noticed how great the tank is doing now. The water quality looks much more crisp and corals look much happier. For those that don't want to watch the whole thing, I would suggest watching the first minute, then jump to around minute 16-17 when I show the tank after the battle. Also catch the last 30 seconds to see a drastic transformation of my wall hammer. I don't have pictures of this or I would post it for those who don't care to watch the video. Sorry.

Anyways... Saturdays water tests:
Alk: 7.8
NO3: 4
PO4: 50ppb/.153ppm

All parameters looking good. Need to keep an eye on alkalinity.. especially since coralline algae is now beginning to take off. I've noticed little dots on several parts of the rock work and now noticing it on the gyres. This is a very encouraging sign! I would expect to see a jump in alkalinity consumption in the next 2 weeks as it begins to take over the scape. Looking forward to seeing purple rock.

Below are a few pictures for your enjoyment.
20190316_120425.jpg
20190310_144113.jpg
20190201_202049.jpg
20190318_143917.jpg
20190316_145105.jpg
20190316_144840.jpg
IMG_9376.jpg
20190314_154110.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so glad you beat the dinos! The corals look very happy. Love the kitty and also the tator tot collage lol [emoji13]
I forgot a major note in my battle. I stopped dosing NoPox! I edited it. Thanks for your advice :) Glad you enjoyed the tators :rolleyes:

Thought she was going to jump on my tank ;Nailbiting

U

User1

View Badges
Here is the official update on my battle with dinos! I think I've had success beating it and I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things :rolleyes:

Nice update. I was reading what you did to battle dinos (marine reef, not prehistoric ;) ) and then watched the video after. Pretty neat process although sorry you had to deal with it. I've recently had a pretty bad outbreak of dinos and/or green hair algae after about year for some odd reason. I mean I expected it sooner but the tank didn't want to play that way I guess. Anyway NoPox is interesting stuff and did what it was supposed to by lowering nitrate and phosphates. At least when I used it. I like it but not something I wanted to continue to use.

Vibrant, on the other hand, kicked started the algae clearing within 12 hours after the first dose. As hard has that is to believe I had some pretty visible wavy hair algae on a side of the tank and that was the first area cleared. It is really clearing up my rocks and I can see a visible difference after the 3rd dose. I just started last week but dosing twice a week for now to see just what it does both visibly and also water parameters (checking those tomorrow). So far I really like this product but need to understand if it is just a band aid for me and if I need to do other things.

I did not try a UV system though since I always read it was hit or miss has a general reef tool. I hadn't considered it. I wonder if it is doing something to the algae spoors or whatever is in the water column as it passes though? One thing I was told either way during an out break is to run carbon to catch whatever the die off is I guess. So I do have a cup of carbon in the tank while I dose vibrant.

In any case nice update, tank looks nice. Also like the stand - pretty.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update. I was reading what you did to battle dinos (marine reef, not prehistoric ;) ) and then watched the video after. Pretty neat process although sorry you had to deal with it. I've recently had a pretty bad outbreak of dinos and/or green hair algae after about year for some odd reason. I mean I expected it sooner but the tank didn't want to play that way I guess. Anyway NoPox is interesting stuff and did what it was supposed to by lowering nitrate and phosphates. At least when I used it. I like it but not something I wanted to continue to use.

Vibrant, on the other hand, kicked started the algae clearing within 12 hours after the first dose. As hard has that is to believe I had some pretty visible wavy hair algae on a side of the tank and that was the first area cleared. It is really clearing up my rocks and I can see a visible difference after the 3rd dose. I just started last week but dosing twice a week for now to see just what it does both visibly and also water parameters (checking those tomorrow). So far I really like this product but need to understand if it is just a band aid for me and if I need to do other things.

I did not try a UV system though since I always read it was hit or miss has a general reef tool. I hadn't considered it. I wonder if it is doing something to the algae spoors or whatever is in the water column as it passes though? One thing I was told either way during an out break is to run carbon to catch whatever the die off is I guess. So I do have a cup of carbon in the tank while I dose vibrant.

In any case nice update, tank looks nice. Also like the stand - pretty.
I was actually solely responsible for the destruction of the prehistoric Dino's as well! I have no regrets :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear about your latest battle as well. Hard to say though if Vibrant is a band-aid or not. I like to dose my system with bacteria bi-weekly. Vibrant I believe is just another form of bacteria in a bottle. Something like that at least... So if I had to guess I would say you are helping win the battle with re-balancing your systems biology. But I'm just an Owl and have no idea :p

I ran carbon the entire time during my treatment. I stopped using ROX carbon and moved to the larger grains because I was reading stuff about ROX potentially being rough on acros. I hope it all clears up for you asap!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see you stopped dosing NO-POX. now take that bottle, and destroy it and never dose it again :)

continue with foods like pods and phyto and diverse bacteria and you will have much better results. and of course feeding you fish well, running UV. i think you will do nicely

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back