Animal, vegetable, or mineral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mentalones
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mentalones

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these filamentous branching things on this frag? Hopefully it's clear in the video and pics. Are they hydroids? If so, how do I get rid of them? 20260506_141426(2).jpg 20260506_141426.jpg 20260506_141426(1).jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20260506_141426.mp4
    10 MB
They look kinda purplish and if that's the correct color and not an artifact of camera settings and lighting then I's say either sponge or maybe(!?) forminiferan. I would only try to remove algae myself but if it bothers you you could try using a syrenge with H2O2 and gently apply 1 or 2 or 3 ml to the base of the filiments. If that doesn't work a 2 minute dip in 6 parts aquarium water and 1 part H2O2 would be my 2nd approach.
 
If you can remove and dip in a hydrogen peroxid dilution I would.
Looks like it could by hydroids, or turf algae, even Byropsis.
Hopefully it's just an algae that a good hydrogen peroxide dip takes out.
 
If you can remove and dip in a hydrogen peroxid dilution I would.
Looks like it could by hydroids, or turf algae, even Byropsis.
Hopefully it's just an algae that a good hydrogen peroxide dip takes out.
Will hydrogen peroxide kill hydroids? Think I see fuzzy little heads on them. Will it bother the coral? Sorry. I wish my phone camera was better. I hope they aren't the Medusa type.
 
They look kinda purplish and if that's the correct color and not an artifact of camera settings and lighting then I's say either sponge or maybe(!?) forminiferan. I would only try to remove algae myself but if it bothers you you could try using a syrenge with H2O2 and gently apply 1 or 2 or 3 ml to the base of the filiments. If that doesn't work a 2 minute dip in 6 parts aquarium water and 1 part H2O2 would be my 2nd approach.
No, not an artifact. Thanks for the suggestion.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new