Anna's Waterbox 220.6 Build Thread

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My name is Anna (Ah-na, like the Frozen princess) and I'm a long time lurker, but first time poster! I started reefing during COVID with a 50 gallon SCA cube. I've been bitten by the bug and currently have a Waterbox 220.6 shipping as we speak! I'm super excited to document my progress in my very first build thread! I'll be focusing on making it a mixed reef. Happy to take any feedback along the way!

Here's what I've plan to run (either enroute now or stolen from my old tank):

Tank: Waterbox 220.6 w/white cabinet
Return Pump: Neptune COR-20
Pumps: 2 VorTech MP40mQD
Lights: 3 Radion XR15 G6 Blue LED (might add one more down the line if I find these don't cover as well as I'd like)
Heater: 800w THH Deluxe Aquarium Heater Bundle - Finnex
ATO: Neptune
Testing: Neptune APEX/Trident
Lid: Clearview custom

I plan to kick off the cycle with the Dr. Tim's fishless cycle as I'm hesitant to bring a ton over from the old tank (battling some hair algae right now). I will spend this weekend working on the aquascape!

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It begins…
9DABA5C2-3327-4843-B31B-4D9133F081EF.jpeg

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is a virtue, right? I'm notorious for lacking said patience, but have been waiting for my tank to be delivered. Tracking said last Thursday and when it didn't show, I got on the phone with FedEx. After talking to several people, I was told it was in Florida, Georgia, or LA. As in they just don't really know where it is. How do you "lose" a 6 foot, thousand pound package?! Tracking seems to have updated now to something closer to home, so hopefully the tank gets delivered tomorrow. On the positive side, it's given me more time to play with my aquascape. More pictures to come later today.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I see you took the plunge!!
All I can say a 6 foot tank is an animal all on its own good luck!
p.s rock scape is looking good!!
7FF30A78-83A6-4BB4-AF33-650978A45DF7.gif

Newjimky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My name is Anna (Ah-na, like the Frozen princess) and I'm a long time lurker, but first time poster! I started reefing during COVID with a 50 gallon SCA cube. I've been bitten by the bug and currently have a Waterbox 220.6 shipping as we speak! I'm super excited to document my progress in my very first build thread! I'll be focusing on making it a mixed reef. Happy to take any feedback along the way!

Here's what I've plan to run (either enroute now or stolen from my old tank):

Tank: Waterbox 220.6 w/white cabinet
Return Pump: Neptune COR-20
Pumps: 2 VorTech MP40mQD
Lights: 3 Radion XR15 G6 Blue LED (might add one more down the line if I find these don't cover as well as I'd like)
Heater: 800w THH Deluxe Aquarium Heater Bundle - Finnex
ATO: Neptune
Testing: Neptune APEX/Trident
Lid: Clearview custom

I plan to kick off the cycle with the Dr. Tim's fishless cycle as I'm hesitant to bring a ton over from the old tank (battling some hair algae right now). I will spend this weekend working on the aquascape!
Congratulations bet it’s gonna turn out awesome

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after much heaving (and six grown adults), the tank is in! Holy cow, this sucker is not light! I did take the obligatory "me sitting in my tank" picture:

IMG_5431.JPG

I am super impressed with the Waterbox setup - it was SO easy to put the plumbing together and to get everything hooked up... without a million trips to the hardware store or glue everywhere. Here's the plumbing and sump setup (yes, I fixed the kink in the return line).

1656249021427.jpeg

Then came moving the aquascape, which is where I wish I would have done it a bit differently. I created my scape on my kitchen table and didn't want to glue it until I had everything in the tank... which led to a bit of frustration once I tried to move things over and recreate it in the tank. I'm a short girl (all of 5'1"), so gluing and moving rocks around on a ladder added a layer of difficulty. That said, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - I may add a little more height to the structure on the left down the road.

1656249240180.jpeg

Then it was time for sand and water. I bought a python system thinking it would make the adding of water much easier, but I think I need to read up some more on it... since I don't have my RODI/saltwater hooked up to any kind of spigot, I'm not sure how that part of it works (totally see the benefit to the water change part). I might need to do something with my mixing station out the garage, which at present is just two 32 gallon Brute cans. Needless to say, I got a decent workout with the buckets that day!
1656249273855.jpeg

Finally, setting up the lights (they were just on for the picture - leaving off for the cycle) and pumps. I am still playing around with the gate valve as I get some noise and am learning the MP40s - those suckers move a lot of water!
1656249402126.jpeg

I am 100% happy with my Waterbox and super excited for this build! I haven't moved over the Apex yet (it's still running on my 50 gallon SCA which is where my fish and coral are now) or my carbon reactor. I'm (im)patiently waiting for the cycle to complete so I can move my first set of fish over!

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220.6 has technically been up for a year but due to having to wait for apex pieces, etc it’s only been populated for 6 months. Looking forward to seeing how yours is coming along.

Newjimky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after much heaving (and six grown adults), the tank is in! Holy cow, this sucker is not light! I did take the obligatory "me sitting in my tank" picture:

IMG_5431.JPG

I am super impressed with the Waterbox setup - it was SO easy to put the plumbing together and to get everything hooked up... without a million trips to the hardware store or glue everywhere. Here's the plumbing and sump setup (yes, I fixed the kink in the return line).

1656249021427.jpeg

Then came moving the aquascape, which is where I wish I would have done it a bit differently. I created my scape on my kitchen table and didn't want to glue it until I had everything in the tank... which led to a bit of frustration once I tried to move things over and recreate it in the tank. I'm a short girl (all of 5'1"), so gluing and moving rocks around on a ladder added a layer of difficulty. That said, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - I may add a little more height to the structure on the left down the road.

1656249240180.jpeg

Then it was time for sand and water. I bought a python system thinking it would make the adding of water much easier, but I think I need to read up some more on it... since I don't have my RODI/saltwater hooked up to any kind of spigot, I'm not sure how that part of it works (totally see the benefit to the water change part). I might need to do something with my mixing station out the garage, which at present is just two 32 gallon Brute cans. Needless to say, I got a decent workout with the buckets that day!
1656249273855.jpeg

Finally, setting up the lights (they were just on for the picture - leaving off for the cycle) and pumps. I am still playing around with the gate valve as I get some noise and am learning the MP40s - those suckers move a lot of water!
1656249402126.jpeg

I am 100% happy with my Waterbox and super excited for this build! I haven't moved over the Apex yet (it's still running on my 50 gallon SCA which is where my fish and coral are now) or my carbon reactor. I'm (im)patiently waiting for the cycle to complete so I can move my first set of fish over!
Any updates

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5431.JPG

1656249021427.jpeg

1656249240180.jpeg

1656249273855.jpeg

1656249402126.jpeg

Tank looks good, wondering if there are any updates on your tank!

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, it really has been forever! The 220.6 is running great! We're now stocked with a bunch of coral, a sailfin tang, blue hippo tang, 6 chromis, a fire fish, two clowns, a flame hawk, two cardinals, a watchman goby and his pistol, a lawnmower blenny and a whole host of clean up crew. Life is good!

Newjimky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, it really has been forever! The 220.6 is running great! We're now stocked with a bunch of coral, a sailfin tang, blue hippo tang, 6 chromis, a fire fish, two clowns, a flame hawk, two cardinals, a watchman goby and his pistol, a lawnmower blenny and a whole host of clean up crew. Life is good!

Really looking nice

Back