another 6025 nanostream problem

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my pumps was chattering really bad today, so i took it apart and the shaft dropped right out

the shaft was completely rusted, and broken. there is still a small piece of shaft left in the motor housing.

broken%20shaft%20zoom.JPG

this really sucks, b/c this is my 2nd pair of 6025 pumps. the last pair i had the shaft detached from the motor housing, and they replaced them free of charge.

but seriously, this is getting ridiculous. talk about a great design and CHEAP engineering to try and save a buck for maximum profit.

i doubt these shafts are even stainless.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that sucks. Who makes these things? Do you think they will give you another? Could you request a refund?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that sucks. Who makes these things? Do you think they will give you another? Could you request a refund?

tunze makes them, and their customer service is GREAT.

i got my last set replaced free of charge, and i'm sure they will replace these free of charge also.

lots of people are having problems with these pumps, its just crazy.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 year warranty on these so if they dont fix the problem they will losse there butss to warrantys

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same exact problem happened to me.

Honestly, the nano-stream is a great product in concept, but their seems to have been some shoddy design/build choices made.

Of course their customer service is great, still I bet the failure rate on these things is pretty high.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Both of my 6025's have broken clips on the back.

yeah, i've broken those tiny little tabs that lock into the magnet (broken 3 sets of those), AND i've broken the actual clip that fits around the pump itself (2 of those).

all have been replaced.....but there gets to be a point where even though the customer service is great.....these problems are really getting on my nerves.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i've broken those tiny little tabs that lock into the magnet (broken 3 sets of those), AND i've broken the actual clip that fits around the pump itself (2 of those).

all have been replaced.....but there gets to be a point where even though the customer service is great.....these problems are really getting on my nerves.
I dont like the clips either. I ended up super glueing mine.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued mine, and surfn they will need to be replaced. Tell him you want the new ones sent out and you'll send yours in so there is not that much down time. I have seen him do it before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued mine, and surfn they will need to be replaced. Tell him you want the new ones sent out and you'll send yours in so there is not that much down time. I have seen him do it before.

yeah, he already sent me a "new" set of clips that should be fine. they've been working so far.

here is the response i got from him today:

These pumps had a stainless steel shaft from China and the quality control was poor, we stopped using these and now use a shaft from Germany. I don't think it will happen again.
Give me your address again and I will send 2 motors.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it looks as though i'll be getting 2 new ones.......he didnt say anything to me about sending my old ones back.

in the past, he's always said to send the old ones back first, then he'll send the new ones.

so, given i might be able to keep the old ones, what should i do with them? mod them in some way? i'll have to figure out how to get that piece of shaft out of the one thats broken though.

the other one is ok good shape, but i'm sure its doomed to suffer the same failure.

any suggestions?

SteveV

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also gone through replacing the clips twice, and the whole motor once for both of my 6025s.

I say find a new shaft somehow and mod the thing. I did the mod on mine, and it easily doubles the output!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust eh? Ouch. That can't be good and I didn't realize these things could/should rust.

they shouldnt rust, but they bought their stainless steal shafts from china, which is notorious for having cheap steal due to impurities, the impurities and bad quality control is what lead to rusted shafts.....

UPDATE.......just recieved my new motors in the mail today. but they are just the motor half......so i'll have to switch the covers, and impellers out.

so if anyone wants 2 motor halfs to a full pump, one has a broken shaft, the other is still in working order.......i'll prob end up selling them for a couple bucks.

btw......these new motors have a slightly shorter shaft, and the shaft now has a metal washer on it. funny how they didnt think of these things before they put it into production...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back