Another Aussie SPS tank

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever worried that you have too much light? Are you dimming the T5s or LEDs? Have you ever had any issues with you LPS responding negatively to such much light?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Revhtree :)

Grabbed some pics during a water change last night. I've been recently doing 30% twice a week, I'm definitely a fan of large water changes as long as the new water has identical Alk/Ca etc.

Wow!! These are awesome!! We need an update! :D :D

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your earlier pics, you seem to slowly get rid of your sand to almost a bare bottom, but now have sand all over again. Why did you start to reduce your sand and then now build it back up again? Did you have problems with it?

I ask, because I started off with sand, but have gradually syphoned it away around the front edges of the tank to get rid of constant diatoms, dirt and cyano.

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it was pushed backwards from the gyre. Could have added more sand at that point.

OP
OP
Char lie

Char lie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of replies, heres a quick video:

I will try do a proper update soon and answer all questions etc.
Battling a bad infestation of AEFW at the moment, seem to be winning but only time will tell. You can see in this pic the amount of eggs they have laid:

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been treating with? i just used flatwormRX with some good success.

OP
OP
Char lie

Char lie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever worried that you have too much light? Are you dimming the T5s or LEDs? Have you ever had any issues with you LPS responding negatively to such much light?
The T5s run at 100% (non-dimmable) and the LEDs run at 80% max (at 100% colour in Kessil terms lol). Obviously this makes LPS placement hard and a lot of med-low light LPS probably wouldn't do too well in the tank. The large stags love the light though and a few shadowed areas are being produced now they are getting large so I may have to add another spotlight or two if the Acropora start to struggle in those areas.

speechless

Amazing colors and one of the most impressive tanks I have seen in awhile. :)

Wow!! These are awesome!! We need an update! :D :D

ITS REALLY REALLY W^_^W........... NICE BUDDY.....

Stunning! That is art! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous reef!

Charlie, what kind of camera did you use to shoot that video on youtube?
Just my phone, a Samsung s7 edge :)

Sweet looking tank, it's great to know wait simple ingredients you can have such success.

In your earlier pics, you seem to slowly get rid of your sand to almost a bare bottom, but now have sand all over again. Why did you start to reduce your sand and then now build it back up again? Did you have problems with it?

I ask, because I started off with sand, but have gradually syphoned it away around the front edges of the tank to get rid of constant diatoms, dirt and cyano.

Looks like it was pushed backwards from the gyre. Could have added more sand at that point.

I used a 1mm substrate to start with which just kept getting pushed towards the back of the tank. I have now added a 3mm substrate to the tank which doesn't move in the flow although it grows a lot of coralline algae and turns the substrate pink. I might remove it soon due to this as pink sand doesn't look too nice in my opinion.

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, I just spent about an hour reading through this thread. Good luck with the AEFW, I would love to know how you are fighting them in case it ever happens to me. Thank you!

b3ja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of replies, heres a quick video:

I will try do a proper update soon and answer all questions etc.
Battling a bad infestation of AEFW at the moment, seem to be winning but only time will tell. You can see in this pic the amount of eggs they have laid:

Someting itchy on my head seeing thoose egg..

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s run at 100% (non-dimmable) and the LEDs run at 80% max (at 100% colour in Kessil terms lol). Obviously this makes LPS placement hard and a lot of med-low light LPS probably wouldn't do too well in the tank. The large stags love the light though and a few shadowed areas are being produced now they are getting large so I may have to add another spotlight or two if the Acropora start to struggle in those areas.

Just my phone, a Samsung s7 edge :)

I used a 1mm substrate to start with which just kept getting pushed towards the back of the tank. I have now added a 3mm substrate to the tank which doesn't move in the flow although it grows a lot of coralline algae and turns the substrate pink. I might remove it soon due to this as pink sand doesn't look too nice in my opinion.
Will you just go bare bottom then?

OP
OP
Char lie

Char lie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread. I've been following you on instagram. Amazing tank!

Thanks, updates are a lot quicker and easier on Instagram haha

Amazing tank, I just spent about an hour reading through this thread. Good luck with the AEFW, I would love to know how you are fighting them in case it ever happens to me. Thank you!
My H.melanarus is definitely picking at the corals a bit so he must be pecking off flatworms. I'm also currently using some RO tubing on a large syringe to blast them out of the tight crevices in the colonies branches where the melanarus can't get to. I'll probably never get rid of them but this process seems to be helping for now.

Someting itchy on my head seeing thoose egg..

I know, one of the worst infestations in AEFW eggs I've seen :(

Will you just go bare bottom then?
Probably, I don't mind the look of no substrate. Definitely makes it easy to get more flow in the tank...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back