Another Check Valve on return line thread

780blaster

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
15
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of planning out the plumbing for my first tank. Initially, I was gung-ho on having a check valve on the return line then started reading threads that they all fail etc etc. So that got me second guessing this decision. Ultimately, the sump will be able to handle a "power off event" but my logic for the check valve was more a convenience thing. If I intentionally turn off the pump for whatever reason, it might (unless it fails) prevent back flow which would be nice. Again, if it fails, it's not a big deal but I just thought this might be nice.

Is there any downside to having a check valve in this case? it's connected by union so can be easily removed / cleaned whenever. My plumbing plan is attached for reference
 

Attachments

It will reduce flow and most have parts that will rust (the spring and/or flapper hinge).

In some cases they can water hammer and damage plumbing, but that is rare.
 
A manual valve is more reliable but you have to remember to open it up when you’re finished working.
 
It will reduce flow and most have parts that will rust (the spring and/or flapper hinge).

In some cases they can water hammer and damage plumbing, but that is rare.
So just leave it out maybe? I still have a ball valve on the return line I could close
 
I have one system that has one. It's a WB and came with plumbing. I would never instal one if I were doing the plumbing. The only advantage I see is when they work you don't get a rush of air blowing out when the pump is turned back on. When they don't seal completely then that benifit is lost.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new