Another controller versus

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally coming back around in the hobby and need a controller to simplify things (basic things and avoid tons of individual timers). I'm open to everyone's opinions but don't want this to be a bashing conversation. When I started looking at controllers, my initial look was ability to control via a app. While looking through my android app store, I noticed the most popular controllers (neptune and digital aquatic) hadn't updated in years. Regardless, the updates are one thing but the reviews are low as well. This led me to looking back at reef angel and today looking at ghl. I've owned a reef angel previously (2013) and using the wizard wasn't hard and it pretty much handled all that I needed. Below is a list of what I intend to control off the start but may explore other additions later.

Items needed to be controlled:
Brs dosers x 2
Skimmer pumps x 2
Heaters x 2
Ato (aqua lifter)
Probes (salinity, temp, pH)
Actinic supplement lights (I run MH so using some reef bites or whatever I purchase)
Return pump

Future items on my list include adding 2 more dosers (carbon source and mag), skimmer waste locker, possibly conductivity and oxygen probes

I appreciate all your help and look forward to getting back in the swing of things

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I've very happy with Apex Fusion. It's quite responsive, often even faster than the local connection in my own home, which is hard to imagine. It works with just about any new or even oldish web browser; I haven't updated Firefox in years and Fusion still works perfectly on my PC; ditto using Safari on my iPhone 6S running iOS 9. There's also a dedicated iOS Fusion app, which works great but which you don't need at all (I didn't even know it existed until I'd been using Fusion in browsers for several months.)

An Apex could easily handle all those devices you describe (and the 2016 comes with a conductivity probe.) :)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex app is a mobile version of the Apex fusion website. Or you can use the apex html built in interface.

GHL has the cloud service for remote access. It is a layer menu approach a bit different then fusion but does get the job done.

The GCC app is an app that can be used locally with direct access to the P4 device I use this the most when I am home.

You then can also if you wish use the HTML inteface on the GHL P4 device also.

GHL thou still requires a PC for firmware updates and for certain functions to be programmed by using the GCC desktop software as they are still converting the desktop software over to the app and html interfaces.

Everything listed on your list can easily be done within the GHL device.

On my thread you can see example of the apex and the GHL interfaces and how each do certain tasks.

Last edited:

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reef keeper and it was okay, but they really don't keep up with the software. then I spilled a few gallons of water on it and decided to get an Apex.

The apex is worlds better that the reefkeeper. it can do almost anything you can think of. I run the following on my apex

Return pump
ATO (pump and 2 floats in the sump and one in the reserve container in the basement so it texts me when it's almost empty)
3 dosers
skimmer
fuge light
stand light (turns on when I open the door, best thing ever)
3 vortech pumps
2 radions
heaters

Then there's the failsafes:
if my heaters on for a long time it texts me, same with my ATO
if temp is to low or high (ph too)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, been doing some more research and have taken off ghl off my top 2 list and replaced it with the reef angel star.

Pretty sure I'll make my mind up by the end of the weekend. As of right now, leaning on the reef angel star. For $400 I can get a 2 year warranty, pH probe, 3 temp probes, 8 controllable outlets, 2 float switches, probe bracket and a touch screen. I also have their cloud service and app.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, and may be nothing, I wouldn't put much stock in the touch screen. I find myself rarely looking at my Apex display, and my head unit is mounted out of sight from my tank. A touch screen would do me no good.

Also, I don't know what your level of code experience is, but I think the Apex is much better suited to those with less than expert coding experience, myself included. Some of these Reef Angel examples I'm looking at remind me of C++ class in college.

Note to be fair, I'm an admitted Apex junkie, but I fully stand behind their products and customer service. But this legit makes me uncomfortable:

if (hour()>=22 || hour()<8)
{
// Sleep mode - slow things down
ReefAngel.DCPump.SetMode( ReefCrest,40,10 );
}
else if (hour()>=8 && hour()<22){
ReefAngel.DCPump.SetMode( ReefCrest,50,10 );

U

User1

View Badges
There are pros and cons of any controller one chooses but one thing I'd strongly urge you to do is look at:

1. Entry price
2. Price after additional component purchase
3. Growth
4. Comfort or ease of programming and code

GHL and Apex - maybe others of similar closed systems, I consider off the shelf and closed ecosystems. ReefAngel I consider open source ecosystems. Close systems are typically prettier commercial units that try and make it easier to use for the buyer / end user. Prettier UIs, boxes electronics are housed in, packaged with a set product suite, etc. You get the idea but my point here is the starting price or entry point. In some cases we are talking 800 US dollars. On the other hand open sourced products like the ReefAngel or similar Arduino products are not so pretty in package but comes with similar controller options but at a reduced / cheaper entry point - 300 - 350 US dollars. The key here, which leads to the second item on my list above, is the final cost if we start matching entry point capabilities. Probes or dimming options may not be included, or PWM may be different than what your LED's need and a converter is necessary, etc.

I have used pre-apex Neptunes with X10's back in the day, then switched over to ReefAngel, and now back to Neptune and their Apex. I like the Reefangel a lot but it requires coding skills that some may not have. If that isn't a big deal then it works, and works well. On the other hand if you like cleaner and easier to use UI with auto generated code based on sliders, Apex and GHL may be the better choice. My point is you need to decide a few things what you are willing to invest in to answer the question. I will say I had to order a few additional components with my ReefAngel over the years which brought it inline with the Apex price towards the end has I added more modules such as PWM dimming expansion and wireless. I think the new Star model addresses some of this although the Apex offers more probes by default. With the Apex I had to order a PWM converter which I didn't need on the RA - so it works both ways...

To @jml1149 point above, yes. There is coding that needs to be done and my current RA is a lot of lines. But....it is managing tides, sunrise, sunset, storms, clouds, random flows, feeding, temp control, and other stuff - you get the idea. Apex it is easier to some degree but if one has the skill it is a moot point. Fire up an editor, pull up last version of code, and write a few lines, upload. That is really it - no different than a few mouse clicks and pushing it to fusion. Just depends on what one is comfortable with :) Which gets back to #4 line item above :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back