Another Goni won’t extend thread

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Goni for 2.5 months. It opened and extended the first day. See first pic. Sorry it’s so blue. Second pic is today and how it’s looked every day since then. The first location was very low flow and high par. After a month I moved it to higher flow area with lower par. Another month and I moved it to its current spot with a little more flow…I’d say medium and lower light. I get that they can all be different so I need to find the sweet spot. People have had luck with low flow low light and the opposite. Nobody really can answer that for me. But how long do you give it before you try a new place? I’ve obviously been doing a month then try again. There’s a balance somewhere between giving it time and not wasting time. It doesn’t seem so unhappy. I think it’s actually grown a tiny bit. No loss of color.
salinity 1.025
Nitrate 2-3
Pho’s .05
Cal 450
Mag 1400
Temp 78.5-79.0
Tank is 8 months old. Live rock and sand. Plenty of lps growing great. Even a few sps doing really well so the tank is capable IMO. Thanks for your time and opinions.
4FA16296-8B2F-46C9-B842-D71ACDDFBB74.png
63703877-97C2-42C3-9CB2-4197D6EF5D5B.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 of them. First, sometimes they just do not do well (though yours looks like the type that would do well). Second, each time you move a coral, you can change how it behaves - and it can take a couple/several weeks to adjust in my experience. Third, It looks like yours has definitely grown, and really (to me) looks fine. I would tend to leave it - and the thing to watch for would be that its getting smaller every day or if you start to see the skeleton. If you look at my build thread, you can see where mine are - they are in relatively higher flow, and moderate light. I would say the higher the light, the more flow. Also you can try to get some goniopora food - but I tend to let mine just eat food from the fish, as compared to target feeding. Sorry to be so long - I think the coral looks healthy.

Edit - one thing I found helpful with them is random flow - so that the polyps are flowing one direction - then another. I have seen less 'extension' with unidirectional flow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. My gut does tell me to leave it be. It seems happy. Just not extended. Still looks nice tho.
Some tend to have shorter polyps - I have one whose polyps are never longer than 1/4 inch - they are more of an encrusting type.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back