Another Kessil A360-E died on me!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I checked my tanks this evening one of my Kessil A360WE was out. To make sure it wasn't just the power supply I plugged it into another Kessil's power and the "dead" one just flashed and tripped the protective circuit of that power supply.
So another Kessil that shorted out.
It is by now the 4th or 5th and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth replacing it with another Kessil or rather switch to a different LED brand.
I like the Kessil light, but the fact that they can't be repaired and are always a total loss if something breaks is starting to get expensive...

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over what period of time? I have had kessils for about three years with no failures. I now have five total. Do you have a lot of surface agitation which might cause salt spray on your kessils? How far off the water are the mounted?

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I didn't track them by serial number so I don't know which lasted how long.
I still have 5 in operation over various tanks.
They are usually 7" to 10" above the water. There is some spray but that is to be expected.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My a350 is still going strong from 2012
my a360 from 2013/2014 has issues. I can no longer adjust the colour spectrum and it tends to blink when I turn it on.
a360we from 2015 still going strong.

I just got a a360x last week to replace the a360. IMO the most important thing about these lights is they must be taken apart and cleaned at least once a year. Unsure about the new 360x everyone says they don't need to be taken apart but I'm willing to bet in a year there will be dust caked on despite the redesign. Obviously my sample size is only a few lights but one problem out of 3 and it wasn't a problem for about 5 years is pretty good.

Last edited:

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several 360WE's going for over 4 years now with no issues. I took them apart every 6 months for a complete cleaning. I've attached some pictures of what it looked like before the first cleaning (about a year) and why I started cleaning every 6 months:

IMG_3384.jpg
IMG_3383.jpg

Chucki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that Kessil will offer new light at a discount if you have out of warranty lights that are not functioning. Can anyone verify?

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several 360WE's going for over 4 years now with no issues. I took them apart every 6 months for a complete cleaning. I've attached some pictures of what it looked like before the first cleaning (about a year) and why I started cleaning every 6 months:

IMG_3384.jpg
IMG_3383.jpg
Do you have a specific cleaning steps that you follow? Do you use rubbing alcohol for any part? Or is it basically get a can or air and blast every surface ?

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one just died! It was still good at noon but when I checked on my tanks 4 hours later it was out and doing the same shorting out like the others.

"Our lights have a normal life expectancy of 35,000 hours, about 5-7 years for most customers. There are many factors that can reduce the life expectancy of the light such as the environment (humidity, moisture, salt creep, and temperature) as well as the maintenance of the light. Regular cleaning and maintenance of the light are important and if not performed, it may affect the longevity of the light."

Well, these are lights for reef tanks so humidity, moisture, salt creep, and elevated temperatures are to be expected. (Let's not even talk about their horticulture lights with basically the same design that are meant to be operated in high moisture hothouses!)
On top of that, they are not designed to be serviceable without breaking seals and voiding warranty.

I will have to rethink if I replace them (well, don't have the money for that anyway) or rather switch to a cheaper and more robust light source, either Chinese LED boxes or T5...

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 works, but electricity bill is going to be a bit higher, also it produce a lot of heat during operation. Now is summer time, so you need to run these AC harder which also mean more electric cost.

Chinese LED some might work, check BRS review on some of the Chinese LED before you buy one.

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3384.jpg
IMG_3383.jpg
Haven't clean my for years, can't believe it is that dusty inside.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 works, but electricity bill is going to be a bit higher, also it produce a lot of heat during operation. Now is summer time, so you need to run these AC harder which also mean more electric cost.

Chinese LED some might work, check BRS review on some of the Chinese LED before you buy one.
I have 4 DYsunY and kind of like them. More importantly, my corals and anemones like them. They are a pain to program but the programs that are preset are actually not too bad. I'm thinking to get a few more of those for now. 4 pannels cost less than 1.5 of the Kessils and so far they haven't given me any grief. More importantly, since they use discrete standard LEDs they can be repaired if one burns out.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a kessil so bad but all these reports of them not lasting is starting to get old

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of mine go out this week. Same symptoms. Plug it in and it flashes and trips the power supply. I'm not interested in getting a replacement at this point. I am also looking for more affordable options for an led for my 4' frag tank.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish they would return emails because the won't answer the phone. Have a faulty unit and have heard nothing from them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back