Another leak on a large tank

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220g reef tank sprung a leak this morning while I was on the way to work. Rushed home drained water, moved around some rocks and equipment. And now I need to know what to do next.

A couple people in my area say they can help me reseal. I imagine it would require draining out tank fully pulling off old silicone and maybe even glass panel to reseal it properly. If I go this route I'll probably spend a couple hundred bucks. But can I trust this?

Alternative would be to find ANOTHER used tank to replace this one, and pray this doesn't happen again.

Here's the backstory, last year while I was on vacation my 90G started leaking similarly to this one, and I had to replace the tank. Which is how I ended up with this 220. Got it used from some local guy on OfferUp. 1 year later same thing, this time with a larger tank, and more livestock.

Suggestions??

Located in SFL if anyone knows anyone selling a tank this size.

Screenshot_20230721-074615.png IMG-20230721-WA0004.jpeg

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what he said
But maybe its time for a upgrade get a 350!!!
No but in all seriousness, I hope your tank gets fixed and all your livestock does well. Sending prayers.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what he said
But maybe its time for a upgrade get a 350!!!
No but in all seriousness, I hope your tank gets fixed and all your livestock does well. Sending prayers.
Thank you so much!

If you reseal, tape off seam area and either sand blast or etch the glass.

I will definitely ask about this if I decide to reseal. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 220g reef tank sprung a leak this morning while I was on the way to work. Rushed home drained water, moved around some rocks and equipment. And now I need to know what to do next.

A couple people in my area say they can help me reseal. I imagine it would require draining out tank fully pulling off old silicone and maybe even glass panel to reseal it properly. If I go this route I'll probably spend a couple hundred bucks. But can I trust this?

Alternative would be to find ANOTHER used tank to replace this one, and pray this doesn't happen again.

Here's the backstory, last year while I was on vacation my 90G started leaking similarly to this one, and I had to replace the tank. Which is how I ended up with this 220. Got it used from some local guy on OfferUp. 1 year later same thing, this time with a larger tank, and more livestock.

Suggestions??

Located in SFL if anyone knows anyone selling a tank this size.

Screenshot_20230721-074615.png IMG-20230721-WA0004.jpeg
Having sealed so many tanks successfully, If you wish to repair yourself, message me and I will give you easy instructions. Tank looks to be worth salvaging and DO NOT sandblast the glass unless you want a crystal effect

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently finished updating our home. Windows, flooring, kitchen (cabinets, appliances, sink, countertops) and the guest bathroom made clean and tidy
image.jpg

I think we hit the drain pipe in the wall. I always thought that the tank would leak, and so I got acrylic to remove seam risks. I think that you should try acrylic because days are short and water damage is not allowed to be verbed on our family site.

Insurance only covers materials and labor and the lost time is on you. Hth.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so for the sake of saving money, stress to my livestock, and time.

How do you guys feel about this?

I lower my water level some more, maybe 6 inches below the hole. I clean out the area really well with a blade, carefully without removing the existing silicone. Maybe get REAL close up to the existing bead on the inside of the tank. Then, clean with alcohol and place a thick bead of silicone from 3-4 inches below the hole up. Let dry for atleast 24-36 hours, depending on the health of livestock.

This should hold water for at least buy me some time to save up for a replacement?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I lower my water level some more, maybe 6 inches below the hole. I clean out the area really well with a blade, carefully without removing the existing silicone. Maybe get REAL close up to the existing bead on the inside of the tank. Then, clean with alcohol and place a thick bead of silicone from 3-4 inches below the hole up. Let dry for atleast 24-36 hours, depending on the health of livestock.

This should hold water for at least buy me some time to save up for a replacement?

If you were even considering doing that I would put two cargo straps around the tank. I would consider yourself lucky that it is leaking before just blowing out as it is.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were even considering doing that I would put two cargo straps around the tank. I would consider yourself lucky that it is leaking before just blowing out as it is.
This has gone through the back of my head as well.

Having family walking around the house I absolutely cannot have a blowout happen. And pray something like that never does happen.

Reading your post is making me want to just call a LFS and get rid of it all.

Since day 1 of bringing this tank home and filling it, I've been scared the stand was not strong enough to support this huge tank, ANOTHER thing thats always lingered in the back of my head... and another reason I'd want to replace this ASAP..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I would not recommend overlap or meeting two seams. While it may work, I realize you want to keep livestock in the tank however the proper and effective way is to replace the seam from top to bottom. Doing it this way you propose may pose risk of leak again at the joint where old and new meet.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend overlap or meeting two seams. While it may work, I realize you want to keep livestock in the tank however the proper and effective way is to replace the seam from top to bottom. Doing it this way you propose may pose risk of leak again at the joint where old and new meet.
I only need it to hold out for a couple more months. Until I am a bit more prepared for a upgrade / transfer.

I guess there's only one way to find out. I think I'm going to take this route. I will post results by sunday or monday morning.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Suggestions??

I wonder why you are having seam leaks on different size tanks.

Is everything level? No spaces between the tanks and stand? I feel that these leaks may be stress related.

Tanks can be disassembled, cleaned and resealed. But the bigger the tank, the bigger the job. I would choose to reseal my leaking tank over buying a used one and not knowing what you are getting.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the theory, etching or sand blasting the seams can provide *slightly more reliable bond , silicone brands vary greatly in strength , contractor home Depot stuff is garbage in box this size , go acrylic with thick panels

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water didn't hold with adding sealant over the existing seal.

I'm going to be most likely replacing this tank today. I found a local guy selling a 220 for $400 I'm hoping to pass by and take it today after work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back