Another QT question

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a new 90 gallon tank and I am also setting up a quarantine for new fish. I don’t have any established media to help the QT tank for the new arrivals. I’m not sure on the correct path for this.

I was going to use One and Only with a hang on the back filter, put some media in a bag for surface area for the bacteria to grow on and add my first fish( clowns).

How would you guys start a new QT tank without an established tank to lend you some media and beneficial bacteria?

Thanks everyone.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a new 90 gallon tank and I am also setting up a quarantine for new fish. I don’t have any established media to help the QT tank for the new arrivals. I’m not sure on the correct path for this.

I was going to use One and Only with a hang on the back filter, put some media in a bag for surface area for the bacteria to grow on and add my first fish( clowns).

How would you guys start a new QT tank without an established tank to lend you some media and beneficial bacteria?

Thanks everyone.
I would use biospira poured into a sponge filter and hang on back filter. One and only probably good too. Use an ammonia badge and keep an eye on it.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar approach. Foam in HOB and some starter. I’ve used Fritz when starting my DT and One and Only in my QT. When I do water changes from DT I use it for water changes in my QT.

I use ammonia badge as well

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One and Only is a great product but expensive. I think @Humblefish did some experiments on different bacteria in a bottle products last year? and found many of them worked equally well to cycle a tank and did so in similar time frames. I'll let him speak to the results of his experiments if he's around. Don't forget to feed the bacteria once added! :)

I swear by Marine Pure blocks, chunks, or balls when setting up, cycling, and keeping a tank cycled. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the expense IMO. They are great for either the QT or MD. In the QT they do not soak up soak up the copper and they clean up well after treatments. In the MD, I use one large block in my 180 gal., and recently even after adding chemicals that disrupted the cycle, there were so many bacteria in the block that the cycle bounced right back within a few days. I add MicroBactor7 to get my cycle going when needed, but like I said, there are many products out there that do a good job. :)

For the QT, lights or no lights, either is fine. New fish don't like bright lights anyway. You'll need a heater, thermometer, the HOB filter, Marine Pure or another media to grow the bacteria out, and an ammonia badge. Bacteria in a bottle will speed things up, but it's not necessary. You can cycle a tank without it. Finally, you'll need a huge bucket of patience while you feed the tank and let it cycle. :)

Welcome back to the hobby!

OP
OP
Shiggknight

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add the clowns in with the bacteria they will provide the ammonia for the bacteria.
I think I will get a 8x8x1 marinepure block for the QT Tank. I also found one and only for only like 4$ treats 20 gallons so I just bought a bunch of small bottles.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add the clowns in with the bacteria they will provide the ammonia for the bacteria.
I think I will get a 8x8x1 marinepure block for the QT Tank. I also found one and only for only like 4$ treats 20 gallons so I just bought a bunch of small bottles.

Wow! $4.00! I'd check the expiration date on the bottles. They may be expired at that price. I pay quadruple that price at my LFS for a small bottle. If the bacteria in the bottle are still viable, you found yourself a real steal!

You probably won't need such a large block of Marine Pure for the QT tank, but more can't hurt. I use about three Marine Pure balls for my QTs. One of my QTs does have a cut piece about a 4" x 4" size, but both the balls and the chunk work equally well for me.

I can't speak to cycling a tank with live fish. I know some people still use that practice, but I and many others here prefer doing fishless cycles. I simply use Marine Pure blocks, Microbacter7, and if I really want to jump start a tank, I add pure ammonia as food (some people frown on this practice as well). If you google fishless tank cycle, you'll come up with several different practices that work just as well as using fish without jeopardizing fish health. :)

Good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back