Another Radion light question

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gen 5 XR 15 pros on my tank and have concluded they were not putting out the par numbers I thought they were. I was going off tested internet posts that showed par numbers at specific intensities in similar size tanks.

As such I have been slowly raising my intensity and the corals seem to be really loving it. I only have a phone app par checker which I'm sure is off quite a bit but one thing I found very confusing. My left light seems to be putting out way lower par then the right. Like 30 points lower. Is this unusual for 2 lights to be so far off? They are on the AB plus schedule. Visually I can't tell any spectrum or intensity differences. Is one light possibly older then the other and losing intensity now?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
telegraham on IG messed with that app and said it was inconsistent.

I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using it with the blue white option, the diffuser and are you calibrating it?
Not sure about what you are referencing. I use diffusers so expect some par loss. I use the AB plus setting so it is full spectrum mainly blue and uv. How do you calibrate them?

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure about what you are referencing. I use diffusers so expect some par loss. I use the AB plus setting so it is full spectrum mainly blue and uv. How do you calibrate them?

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread about this app if you type look up phototune app in here. But I agree with everyone else it definitely isn’t consistent enough to fully rely on. I would use it for a rough idea and then put it away you it will never be perfect.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread about this app if you type look up phototune app in here. But I agree with everyone else it definitely isn’t consistent enough to fully rely on. I would use it for a rough idea and then put it away you it will never be perfect.

Oh for sure I'm not giving it much for total accuracy.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for providing this. You probably solved my par discrepancy. Guess we should calibrate these things periodically.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have the xr15 gen 5 pro over my live rock only tank. I have the mq510 par meter as well ...I can do a check for you if you want. Or hit me up I can loan you my meter lol

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the xr15 gen 5 pro over my live rock only tank. I have the mq510 par meter as well ...I can do a check for you if you want. Or hit me up I can loan you my meter lol
Thanks for the offer. If you were in so cal I'd take you up on it. The funny thing about radion lights is the inconsistency in par numbers you find on internet searches. Some get 400 par at 70% but then someone posts they get 250 par at the same percentage. There are various par maps online and you would think it would be consistent with the lights.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been slowly increasing the intensity of my XR15 lights. I feel I totally misjudged their par capabilities based on par maps that iresesrched online and a lot of posts from people with the same lights. I am up to 85% schedule now and the corals are loving it. I have a mixed reef to there is always a challenge to balance light with SPS. LPS and softs. I am going to keep increasing to 90% and see what happens. I thought I had good coral response prior but the higher par has really made the tank come alive. I am hoping for 400 par at my water line with my phone app par checker. It is 350 now.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Photone is inaccurate. Finally we need to buy or rent a par meter

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed, I think it just gives you a very rough estimate of par.
If you set several layers of waterproofing, you'll get a number that deviates a lot

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back