Another stocking thread (80 gallon)

niklas.baastrup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

So i recently sold some of my more agressive fish and are looking for a calmer tank with smaller fish and inverts

At the moment i have the following 4 fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (arround 2 inches), Pseudochromis fridmani (arround 2 inches), Stonogobiops yasha and a Nemateleotris decora. I plan on keeping the remaining 4 fish

So this is what i plan on adding besides the residents.

1x Serranocirrhitus latus
1x Plectranthias inermis
1x Liopropoma Swalesi
1x Ecsenius stigmatura
1x Pterosynchiropus splendidus - T.B
1x Koumansetta hectori
2-3x Ptereleotris evides
1x Gobiodon atrangulatus
and maybe
1x Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis

Is this to heavy stocked, and do you guys think this will make a good fit?

Cheers?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

So i recently sold some of my more agressive fish and are looking for a calmer tank with smaller fish and inverts

At the moment i have the following 4 fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (arround 2 inches), Pseudochromis fridmani (arround 2 inches), Stonogobiops yasha and a Nemateleotris decora. I plan on keeping the remaining 4 fish

1x Plectranthias inermis
1x Liopropoma Swalesi
1x Ecsenius stigmatura
1x Koumansetta hectori
2-3x Ptereleotris evides
1x Gobiodon atrangulatus
and maybe

Cheers?
Wish I could help but I don't know the Latin names of all the fish.

Bump for you though.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say something real quick, 14 fish is too much for an 80 gallon
Waaay too much
Based on what? Nutrient export is key. I've had 13 fish in my 80 gallon system not too long ago, without skimmer and relying only on my refugium with caulerpa. No issues at all. Gave a couple away and will be adding a few more in the near future, which will get me to a total of 10 fish.

As long as you're not putting highly agressive fish together in a small tank, you can get away with a whole lot more fish than what's usual recommended.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what? Nutrient export is key. I've had 13 fish in my 80 gallon system not too long ago, without skimmer and relying only on my refugium with caulerpa. No issues at all. Gave a couple away and will be adding a few more in the near future, which will get me to a total of 10 fish.

As long as you're not putting highly agressive fish together in a small tank, you can get away with a whole lot more fish than what's usual recommended.
IMHO, 4’x2’ tanks should be the minimum size tank to house 10+ fish. 80g to me is just irresponsible and unless water changes are happening weekly it’s just going to rack up the cost of replacing coral (If it’s not a FOWLR). The other thing is 10+ fish is alright IF the tank is a FOWLR and not got coral, with coral in the tank they need room to grow and make small/medium sized colonies so that limits to about 8 fish max if they all stay around 4” and aren’t active. Wrasse take that from 8 fish to 4 if you have 2 wrasse IMHO. I wouldn’t have a wrasse in a tank with 8 other fish and only about 3’ of room to swim because of how active these guys are.
Hi

1x Plectranthias inermis
1x Liopropoma Swalesi
1x Ecsenius stigmatura
1x Koumansetta hectori
2-3x Ptereleotris evides
1x Gobiodon atrangulatus
and maybe

Cheers?
I think to me, C. rhomboidalis and maybe 1 or 2 other fish at a push but not much more than that. If the route was the 2 fish route then I would say the Clown goby (G. atrangulatus) because it sticks to the small size and will get along with the yasha whereas the Hectors goby (K. hectori) probably won’t play nice since they have similar territories, and The basslet (L. swalsesi) since these are completely different to the fish already in there.

As for a reply to the above comment, it’s only too much work if you aren’t dedicated to the tank. I have a 4’ tank and a 18” cube that are both classed as overstocked but I do water changes once a week and they still don’t spike. Yes there is room for error but again that’s only if you don’t know what you’re doing or if you aren’t dedicated to a tank, if you aren’t dedicated to it then maybe the hobby isn’t for you since our fish and coral will most likely need help when something looks wrong.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, 4’x2’ tanks should be the minimum size tank to house 10+ fish. 80g to me is just irresponsible and unless water changes are happening weekly it’s just going to rack up the cost of replacing coral (If it’s not a FOWLR). The other thing is 10+ fish is alright IF the tank is a FOWLR and not got coral, with coral in the tank they need room to grow and make small/medium sized colonies so that limits to about 8 fish max if they all stay around 4” and aren’t active. Wrasse take that from 8 fish to 4 if you have 2 wrasse IMHO. I wouldn’t have a wrasse in a tank with 8 other fish and only about 3’ of room to swim because of how active these guys are.
Why would you need to replace corals with a "heavy" stocking? Again, with sufficient nutrient export you won't face any problems. I never do any water changes. My nutrients are on the higher side (~ 0.1 phosphates ~ 20 nitrates) because I feed A LOT. Corals are growing just fine, even sps. Perhaps I can't grow acros, but I don't care about them. With a skimmer I could probably lower them easily (apart from less feedings), but I don't need to.

Most of the corals I do have won't fill the entire water column when they grow bigger and when those that can, I still have plenty of both swim room and hiding places. Saying you can only have a FOWLR with a "heavily" stocked tank is way too easy imo. You need to think about the rock scape you're creating and what corals you'll be getting. I think 8 or 10 smaller fish (4" or less) in such a tank are much happier than a bunch of huge tangs in a 6 foot tank jammed with sps colonies.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. My way of fish keeping isn't to everyone's taste and that's fine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the corals I do have won't fill the entire water column when they grow bigger and when those that can, I still have plenty of both swim room and hiding places. Saying you can only have a FOWLR with a "heavily" stocked tank is way too easy imo. You need to think about the rock scape you're creating and what corals you'll be getting. I think 8 or 10 smaller fish (4" or less) in such a tank are much happier than a bunch of huge tangs in a 6 foot tank jammed with sps colonies.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. My way of fish keeping isn't to everyone's taste and that's fine.
I agree with this, but I don’t feed “a lot” in my tank (although, frozen is pecked at for a few hours after feeding). I feed 5 cubes of frozen but that gets split so about a quarter gets thrown into my nano that’s over stocked (3 wrasse, 2 gobies and a Blenny - 2 wrasse will be swapped into the 4’ tank when they get big enough). I agree with good nutrient export you can have a nice tank with a bunch of colonies however, I find that active fish would do better in either a tank with not so much of a heavy stocking of fish or a tank with maybe 4-5 other fish and the rest for coral placement depending on species (Tangs are one fish I wouldn’t dream of in an over stocked coral system, they both need swim room and swimming into coral and other fish would just cause stress IMO).

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of fish in my 80g and do a water change every 3 months. I use a good size fuge and skimmer.

80g tanks are 4x2 foot? At least mine is. Same footprint as a 120g but shorter.

I would list the common names with the Latin to make it easier.

The dotty may not play nice with the basslet.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of fish in my 80g and do a water change every 3 months. I use a good size fuge and skimmer.

80g tanks are 4x2 foot? At least mine is. Same footprint as a 120g but shorter.

I would list the common names with the Latin to make it easier.

The dotty may not play nice with the basslet.
Now I know the base dimensions, to me that wouldn’t be too bad and it could be doable - I keep thinking an 80g tank is 3’x1.5’x1.5’ and not 4x2, The cons of gallons is we don’t go by that in Britain or even most of the world, we do litres (1’ of tank = 100 litres usually)

Back