Another tank drilling question:)

Patis55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched some vids and read a few threads and drilling it looks pretty easy.
Couple questions i do have though and we are talking a Aqueon 40B non tempered.
Here is the over flow i have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251987115641?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Im putting it in the middle of the tank. There are no directions on the mounting of it.
Is it mounted against the top rim or should it be mounted a little lower?
The two overflows are 1in. Should they be mounted at the same hight or one a little higher then the other?
Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched some vids and read a few threads and drilling it looks pretty easy.
Couple questions i do have though and we are talking a Aqueon 40B non tempered.
Here is the over flow i have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251987115641?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Im putting it in the middle of the tank. There are no directions on the mounting of it.
Is it mounted against the top rim or should it be mounted a little lower?
The two overflows are 1in. Should they be mounted at the same hight or one a little higher then the other?
Thanks!
The height you mount it will determine water level. Water level in your tank will be at the bottom of the teeth when clean. So how high to mount it is your personal preference.

I'm not a fan of this design since it doesn't give you a good way to do a quiet drain system. For a lack of better options I would put them both at the same height toward the bottom and use a 90 degree fitting inside the overflow to get one a little higher if one will fit.

OP
OP
Patis55

Patis55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have also mentioned i was planing on using two 90 degree fittings also. 1 pointing up and 1 pointing down.
The one pointing down would be the main siphon and the one pointing up would be the emergency overflow. Herbie overflow setup i guess its called.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have also mentioned i was planing on using two 90 degree fittings also. 1 pointing up and 1 pointing down.
The one pointing down would be the main siphon and the one pointing up would be the emergency overflow. Herbie overflow setup i guess its called.
You can try to make a Herbie style work but it will be a challenge with the 5" height. If you want to go this route you will probably want the emergency overflow drilled low and the main siphon drilled high. Just keep them fairly close to the same height so don't offset them by too much.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would install this above the plastic trim. Like others said, your water level will settle a little above the bottom of the teeth. Be very careful drilling 40bs. They are VERY thin. I recommend not drilling them at all since you are going to drill at the center which has the most deflection. They have a 1/4" deflection in the glass when full. Go over the back overflow for this tank and when you upgrade to a bigger tank, drill then.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back