Another tank stock list

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm counting down the days until my 180g arrives(I believe late March or early April). It will be a rimless 60x30x24 made by Crystal Dynamics. I'll be upgrading from a standard aqueon 48x12x20 "$1 a gallon special" 55g. I'll start a build thread once I've gotten some progress pics from Zoya and Trent. Awesome people by the way.

I was given some pretty bad advice early in my fish keeping career. I haven't set foot in that(or any) LFS in several months. As such, I think I'm pretty overstocked in the 55. That said..

My current fish are
young male c. exquisitus
female c. cf. lunatus
2 blue-green chromis
sailfin blenny
diamond goby
scooter dragonette
kole tang
true percula clown
wheeler's goby with randall's pistol shrimp

inverts
1 serpent and 1 brittle star
1 large and 2 medium btas
1 huge lta
a couple frags and a rock overrun by a"freebie" paly frag

I'm planning on adding most/all of the following fish, depending on how much I'd be pushing my bio load. My sump will be a triton 44 with a curve 7 skimmer . Keep in mind I have 0 idea stocking a tank this size and would love some input.

must haves- should this also be the order added? anthias-flashers-fairies?
5-6 dispar anthias
p. mccoskeri and/or p. carpenteri
p. attenuatus
p. bellae
c. rhomboidalis
c. lubbocki
c. bathyphilus
c. rubrimarginatus OR c. lineatus. I personally think both are equally beautiful
c. laboutei

worth noting?
I have a fluval evo 13.5 with a pair of black/white ocellaris clowns. My plan was to buy a biocube, transfer the perc(from 55) and the LTA to the cube, and move the occellaris clowns to the 180 with the large orange bta. I'll likely just give the rose btas away. In doing so I'll also be able to move the chromis and/or dragonette to the cube as well if need be. I'll still setup a refugium in the cube but the dragonette does eagerly accept frozen, pellets, and more or less anything else I feed him.

I'd appreciate some thoughts/critiques. Is this too many fish?

Thank you!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my non-expert opinion, not too many fish for a 180. I'm planning at least that many for my 220. As far as fish compatibility, I have most of the same on my stocking list and it was approved by the local wrasse experts. The exception is the bathyphilus, wasn't on my list. Have you read through the wrasse compatibility chart?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, the dimensions on the new tank are awesome. If I ever h ad the funds for a new tank those would be the dimensions.

The new stock is fine, though I would flip flop the order of the lubbocki and bathyphilus.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my non-expert opinion, not too many fish for a 180. I'm planning at least that many for my 220. As far as fish compatibility, I have most of the same on my stocking list and it was approved by the local wrasse experts. The exception is the bathyphilus, wasn't on my list. Have you read through the wrasse compatibility chart?

I'll definitely be following your build then! I honestly can't tell you how many times I've gone over the chart and evolved's publication.

First, the dimensions on the new tank are awesome. If I ever h ad the funds for a new tank those would be the dimensions.

The new stock is fine, though I would flip flop the order of the lubbocki and bathyphilus.

Thank you! I'm very excited about this tank. I think I'll have some great aquascaping options.

Do you think adding either a h. chrysus and/or h. melanarus would be pushing it? I definitely don't want anyone outcompeting the dragonette

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely be following your build then! I honestly can't tell you how many times I've gone over the chart and evolved's publication.

Thank you! I'm very excited about this tank. I think I'll have some great aquascaping options.

Do you think adding either a h. chrysus and/or h. melanarus would be pushing it? I definitely don't want anyone outcompeting the dragonette
Either of those will definitely eat pods, but in a tank that size shouldn't outcompete the mandarin.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back