Anthias question

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I have 6 different anthias species, all females, will one of them turn into a male?

I think (guess) not, but this ignitus girl is getting pretty big and bright colored.

I'm not going to research on it, lets see what a shortcut can bring.

tempImagepmg3Y6.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I have 6 different anthias species, all females, will one of them turn into a male?

I think (guess) not, but this ignitus girl is getting pretty big and bright colored.

I'm not going to research on it, lets see what a shortcut can bring.

tempImagepmg3Y6.png
I believe so (I don’t really focus on anthias personally however I do have some experience with the common species).

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the red saddled do with the others?

I've been looking to add one to my tank too.
I also only have a few different female anthias. Randall and Carberryi, wanted to add a red saddle to the mix too.

Tankstop has them in stock right now and I've had one in my cart for over week, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

thoughts on them?

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the red saddled do with the others?

I've been looking to add one to my tank too.
I also only have a few different female anthias. Randall and Carberryi, wanted to add a red saddle to the mix too.

Tankstop has them in stock right now and I've had one in my cart for over week, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

thoughts on them?
She's my latest addition. Shes a champ, super active and peaceful, fit right in, well received by the other females. Got a strong specimen. Eats a lot and looks great. I got her small 2". She is yellow, pink, purple, white and red. Beautiful. I was waiting for one for years, luckily they recently flooded the market but are almost sold out.

From the info you gave I would say that perhaps the Carberryi could be an issue due to its semi-agressive nature and the fact that its already well established in the tank when the red-saddled is introduced. Being a shoaling fish, she will try to be part of the group and if someone "local" doesnt accept her it will be a problem.

I never had a Carberryi, so I don't know from experience, I personally would avoid mixing with semi-agressive species to help them acclimate faster and start eating to increase the chance of success, specially with the smaller, peaceful species.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to know if one of them is going to become a male and dominate the group of females, because then it switches from an all female group to a harem, which in turn has requirements that my tank is not able to meet (size).

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to know if one of them is going to become a male and dominate the group of females, because then it switches from an all female group to a harem, which in turn has requirements that my tank is not able to meet (size).
I don't think they will form a harem if they are all different species, but I'm not 100% on that.

She's my latest addition. Shes a champ, super active and peaceful, fit right in, well received by the other females. Got a strong specimen. Eats a lot and looks great. I got her small 2". She is yellow, pink, purple, white and red. Beautiful. I was waiting for one for years, luckily they recently flooded the market but are almost sold out.

From the info you gave I would say that perhaps the Carberryi could be an issue due to its semi-agressive nature and the fact that its already well established in the tank when the red-saddled is introduced. Being a shoaling fish, she will try to be part of the group and if someone "local" doesnt accept her it will be a problem.

I never had a Carberryi, so I don't know from experience, I personally would avoid mixing with semi-agressive species to help them acclimate faster and start eating to increase the chance of success, specially with the smaller, peaceful species.

Thanks. I think it will be fine. My Randall is actually a bit smaller than the Carberryi, but yet the Carberryi acts submissive to the smaller Randall. Saying that, they hang out together 95% of the time and get along fine. Not much aggression at all. only at feeding times, will the randall knock the carberryi off food, but other than that, they school together and share the same rock structure at night.

I was looking to add a red saddle and possibly a dispar and/or ignitus too.

thinking if I get those and QT them together, and then add them together, I'll have a good chance of them eventually meshing.

thanks for the feedback!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back