Any Advice??

Stormlantern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to saltwater but I've kept up two freshwater tanks for a few months and I've been trying to do some research. Everything fresh is doing well, but I have an 82 gal hex tank with a sump that I got on Cragislist. I wanted to keep some fish my parents had given me alive, but they didn't know what was what and gave me brackish fish in a saltwater tank (a mud moray and a green spot puffer, along with some actual freshwater fish) So to keep them alive I rushed into purchasing this tank I found and I've been trying to set it up just right. I've had it for a little over a month right now, and so far I've been enjoying my adventure into marine aquaria. A few days ago, I returned my puffer since the eel tried twice to eat him. So now I'm looking for advice. I have a big, tall tank with a few dry rocks and an eel. I added some chaeto algae and copepods to refugium in the sump.
Here's a few things I was wondering about:
How necessary is an RO system? Right now I'm doing tap water with conditioner in buckets for water changes.
Are there water testing tips I need to know? My current system is just checking all the parameters in the API marine test kit.
My filtration system is really outdated as best I can tell. It came with the tank, so I was just hoping to make it work. Not sure if the skimmer is properly functioning though, and the only real filtration is a bunch of bio balls with a coarse cut to fit filter over them. I'll try and include some pics
Where should I go as far as stocking? I'd like to keep the eel, but at this point I might return him too and try and get a fresh start. Although that does kinda feel like I'm letting him down.. oh well.
And I was wondering about the difficulty jump from fowlr to reef. Is it worth messing with coral?

Sorry to just dump all that. If you have an answer to any of these questions, let me know!

here's the light I have on rn, fluval aquasky for marine and fresh

image1.jpeg

Here's the whole tank setup
image2.jpeg
the sump
image3.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
tenor (7).gif
#WelcometoR2R
An RO/DI system is vital to a successful reef tank IMO. Tap water, while its dechlorinated, contains to many heavy metals that corals don't like including copper. It can also contain ammonia and nitrates and phosphates, which the point of water changes is to remove those elements o_O
Using it for FOWLR only is fine as fish can handle it, but if you want to do reef you'll have to likely toss your rock and get new as heavy metals are absorbed by your rock and sand and then slowly leech out over time.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! If you can afford a RO/DI set up I would purchase it, is it necessary, no, will it save you headaches and money in the long run, yes. Fish only or Reef, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't know much about API test kits, I like Red Sea test kits when a Hanna checker isn't available, Red Sea and Salifert would be the 2 test kits I would recommend.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't see saltwater tanks run with bio-balls anymore. I would ditch that and just keep the skimmer and refugium. See some recommended fish for your tanks water volume and stock it with 1 or two fish.... also definitely get some more live rock in there. I dont know how many pounds you have but it doesn't look enough. They generally say 1lb a gallon but I've also successfully done .5lbs a gallon with no issues.

I would also ditch the aPI test kits. I recommend Hannah and Red Sea...

Get some more live rock, a couple powerheads for good flow, and just let your tank do it's thing for a little while and get nice and mature...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif

I agree about the RO/DI. I do think it's a necessity if you want to do SPS coral. I also agree with you about your filtration. I would slowly remove the bioballs and maybe replace with a combination of rock/rubble and macroalgae of choice. Some more rock in the DT would also be good to provide both more filtration and more habitat for fish/inverts/coral!

OP
OP
Stormlantern

Stormlantern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for so many replies so fast! Wow
Well, I'm looking at how to improve things. RO DI seems like a good choice. I also might get another light since I only have the one LED for now.
Some more questions:
Does the skimmer look like it's working ok? it seems really on the budget end of things. It does bubble up and overflow, but the box on top just fills with clear water with the bubbles on that. If I get a really good fuge going do I need a skimmer?
If I get a new test kit, what are the important parameters to include?
I kinda want something on those rocks (not sure what yet, still on the fence with coral), so would I need to clean out the whole system with new rock, sand, water, etc and re-cycle the whole thing?
Also if anyone has experience with mud morays in a marine/reef tank. They're listed as brackish and I seem to get conflicting answers

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the questions you're asking can be easily found by doing some basic research :) - don't get me wrong we are happy to help...

You do not NEED a skimmer. But it does help.... search skimming wet and skimming dry... that will give you some more insight to determine if your skimmer is working properly.

You dont need to re/cycle the whole thing... did you start a cycle already? How old is your tank?

You can put some soft corals like mushrooms if you'd like. Your questions are geared more towards us telling you what to do rather than just giving advice.... :/

There's lots of threads on this forum for beginners and ALL your answers will be found there, i promise :)

regarding your question about the eel in saltwater.... I know younger fish are acclimated much easier to saltwater from brackish water and they will survive... however, adult or more mature fish it's hard to get them acclimated. My brother was able to acclimate his small figure 8 puffer from brackish to saltwater...

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for so many replies so fast! Wow
Well, I'm looking at how to improve things. RO DI seems like a good choice. I also might get another light since I only have the one LED for now.
Some more questions:
Does the skimmer look like it's working ok? it seems really on the budget end of things. It does bubble up and overflow, but the box on top just fills with clear water with the bubbles on that. If I get a really good fuge going do I need a skimmer?
If I get a new test kit, what are the important parameters to include?
I kinda want something on those rocks (not sure what yet, still on the fence with coral), so would I need to clean out the whole system with new rock, sand, water, etc and re-cycle the whole thing?
Also if anyone has experience with mud morays in a marine/reef tank. They're listed as brackish and I seem to get conflicting answers
A great test kit to start off with is the Red Sea Marine care test kit, its gives you test for ph, nitrates, nitrites, alk, and ammonia.

Again, if you can afford it, not sure on your financial status, I would start fresh on rock and sand, less possible issues down the road and it gives you a fresh start.

Last edited:

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! You just came to the right place, Reef2Reef. A lot of friends giving good advice.

dori.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back