Any aggression issues between this algae eating trio?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, for my 183-gallon tank, 6 foot by 2.3 foot by 1.8 foot I want to get a very robust algae eating trio that will hopefully lessen the work I have to do when cleaning algae. I want to have a Fox Face (Preferably One Spot for its smaller size), Yellow Tang, and a Yellow Eye Kole Tang. I wonder if this trio, since they all fill the same biological niche, will have too much competition for food as they’re all algae grazers. I don’t want competition to lead to aggression. Also, I am worried whether I can have a Yellow and a Yellow Eye Kole together without aggression issues. They will be introduced at the same time and both will be 3”-4” long. The Fox Face will be established before them in “Phase One” of my stocking plan, but I’m worried about my Yellow Tang picking on it. Should I be concerned?

Also, will these three fish get along with a Marine Betta (it will go before the Foxface), pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma, YWG, Pajama Cardinals, and a Flame Angel?

Thanks. If there’s anything I have to watch out for by all means let me know. Among these three algae eating fish will any of them struggle with adjusting to captive fare / be difficult to keep overall?

I will be preparing:

-Hikari Mega Marine Algae

-Hikari Seaweed Extreme

-Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp

-Hikari Algae Wafers

-Nori strips (feed once every other day)

-Ocean Nutrition Formula-2 Flakes

-Ocean Nutrition Formula-2 Pellets

-Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes

-Julian Sprung’s Sea Veggies

-First Bite Veggie Pellets

-First Bite Veggie Flakes

As my whole selection of herbivore foods.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you give them all of these vegetarian food in you list - they will not eat your produced algae. IMO - you must adapt your feeding of external food to their feeding of the internal produced food. First let the eat internal produced food, second let them eat internal produced food, third - let them eat internal produced food, forth - complete with small amount of external vegan food if needed.

Sincerely Lasse

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all three for many years with no issues. Although, the "no spot" version. :) They will pick your algae and keep things clean if you do not feed them "too" well.

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will these three fish get along with a Marine Betta (it will go before the Foxface), pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma, YWG, Pajama Cardinals, and a Flame Angel?
Please correct me if I'm wrong (because I may be) but shouldn't the marine betta go in last? I know they can get territorial, and cause issues with fish added later. Just my 2¢

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow is the most aggressive of those three, but I think in a 180G you should be OK. They are all good grazers -- especially my one spot. But nobody can touch the work put in by my orange shoulder tang.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, my yellow savaged a foxface I got at the same time, I had to rehome it within 2 days.

Ive had my betta longer than both of them, and its caused no issues at all. They seem to pick their spot in the tank and don't really leave it except to eat.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know. I’m definitely going to try this combo. Hopefully they’ll all contribute to giving my tank the best possible water quality.

Is it difficult to get the Yellow Eye Kole Tang on prepared foods though? Heard they’re not keen on nori but do you guys have trouble keeping them successfully when it comes to getting them adjusted to captive fare?

Also what are the requirements when it comes to tank maturity for the Foxface, Yellow Tang, and Kole Tang respectively? Do any of them struggle, or can any of them thrive in a new tank?

Thanks guys. Foxface definitely going in before the Tangs.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the tank on the mature side before adding them. So, algae growth (not out of control though), lots foods on rocks and in water column.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back