Any experience with Biota's CAPTIVE coral beauties?

How reef-safe is your CAPTIVE-BRED coral beauty angel?

• I have had a captive-bred coral beauty and it killed or seriously damaged a coral colony

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to gauge the reef-safeness of captive coral beauties. Since they are tank born and raised, they will never have seen a coral before nor known it as food. Biota says they won't pick at corals unless they are poorly fed. I love what they are doing over there but I don't buy it :D. If you've had one of the CAPTIVE-BRED coral beauties, answer the poll with your experience. Don't answer if you have a wild one, as the 50/50 nature of those is well known and documented by now. If you have seen it go at your corals, did you notice any patterns? I know most of these "with caution" fishes seem to prefer LPS when they do decide to munch on coral usually, but maybe it is different with captive ones.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're right. Once they figure it out - and that it tastes good they will eat it. Not all small angels eat coral. Not all large angels eat coral. I suppose feeding more would 'help'. Having an angel in a reef tank - depending on which corals - is IMHO a risk whether captive bred or wild

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Biota coral beauty. Had him since he was between quarter size and half dollar size. Model citizen, although I can't get him to eat nori from a nori clip (he'll happily steal it out of the claws of my ruby mithrax crab tho :rolleyes:)

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super curious about this as well. I'm also curious if anyone has kept a captive bred coral beauty with another dwarf angelfish, and if so, what was the tank size and species of your other angel(s)?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps its genetic memory. These creatures instinctively know what their food sources are. Not unlike how creatures can “know” brightly colored species like nudis are dangerous. They don’t have to take a bite to know. Or how a myriad of creatures know how to navigate to spawning grounds despite not ever having been there. Or how humans know fire burns with out putting their hands into it. Okay, maybe not all of us! LOL. And probably not all creatures “know” what they should know or maybe they don’t need to if there are easier sources of food and no competition. That might explain the reduced aggression people observe for some “aggressive “ species or “reef safe with caution.”

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my coral beauty for over 5 years and has been a model citizen too apart from attempting to bully my coris wrasse who is so fast he swims away and returns in to battle mode and leaves again so fast the coral beauty is like er OK I'll leave it but forgets and tries again in the future, as for eating corals, never and I have blastomussa lps, zoanthids and sps no harm done

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back