Any Good Calcium Reactors?

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to start looking for a Calcium reactor, would like to know what are my options as far as reactor wise? I know there are many on the market but what do some of you suggest?

Thanks

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Korallin but it is kind of a pain compared to how the MTC sounds. If I didn't get such a good deal on mine I would have probably gone with MTC.

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is your tank.I am looking for one to and I am currently looking at 3 models 1st choice--cr510 2nd choice cr612 both by geo
3rd choice Bubble Magus C150 Calcium Reactors.
What woould you choose my tank is a 120 total water volume 150

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we-demanded-dastaco.jpg

DASTACO will be coming next month as a early stocking stuffer though.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Sir, I have a GEO618 running for three years with a Digital regulator from Aquariumplants.com.
A 8.8lb bag of Newborn media and KZ magnesium.
Set on one Co2 bubble every 4 sec with a 70ml effluence per min.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people are going to say the "best" is whichever one they chose to buy and only have experience with that one reactor.
Geo is going to be the most popular. It's a simple, effective reactor at a good price. I have a LifeReef which is basically the same with a few minor differences.
Personally, I don't like their pH probe placement, so just because of that I'd recommend the Geo over the LR.
But if you really want to know what the "best" is, you would be hard pressed to beat the Dastaco for features. But all those features and automation will cost ya!

If you don't need the extra features and automation of the Dastaco, the Geo or LR will handle any hobbyist tank just fine. They are both a simple and proven design that has been around for years.
A calcium reactor is super simple. All it requires is consistent flow through the media with a way to inject c02 to control the reactor's pH level.
I'd say that more important than the actual reactor is two things... 1) The regulator, and 2) the feed pump.
Most of the problems people have are with one or both of those, NOT the reactor itself.

For the reg, many choose to use the Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser. It's super simple to use and accurate. Good for those who don't want to DIY. The downside is the reg is a cheap/low quality single stage.
If you can follow simple instructions and have a little patience, you can DIY your own high quality dual stage reg by getting the parts off eBay. It's all detailed in this thread...
How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.
For about the same price, you will end up with a reg that will last you a lifetime and be ultra stable/accurate.
Not to mention beautiful.

For flow, most reactors come with a cheap Rio hobby pump or similar. Some people feed off their manifold but that's not a good idea at all for a CaRx.
The best way to go is to get a Cole-Parmer Masterflex peristaltic pump. Or any peristaltic pump that is made for continuous use, but the CP are hard to beat for quality, and they are rebuildable.
Again, eBay and some patience is your best bet. But you should be able to find a pump, head and tubing for around $200-300.
Here's the thread you'll want to check out. Most of the info you need is in the first few post, with links to all the minor parts you'll need.
Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Good luck! :)

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree that the GEO618 is pretty good as I have had mine for almost 5 years no issues at all. My original pump is still running as well.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dastaco is fantastic if you have lots of disposable income.
More like I like to get the best and not fiddle with it. [emoji3] I do t have one but it is on the list for the future. I don't mind spending money on quality equipment. I have been in the aquarium hobby since the age of 10 (now 62 dang I am old ) So it is an investment and my wife hates me fiddling with stuff on my tank when I can be paying attention to her. [emoji3]

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people are going to say the "best" is whichever one they chose to buy and only have experience with that one reactor.
Geo is going to be the most popular. It's a simple, effective reactor at a good price. I have a LifeReef which is basically the same with a few minor differences.
Personally, I don't like their pH probe placement, so just because of that I'd recommend the Geo over the LR.
But if you really want to know what the "best" is, you would be hard pressed to beat the Dastaco for features. But all those features and automation will cost ya!

If you don't need the extra features and automation of the Dastaco, the Geo or LR will handle any hobbyist tank just fine. They are both a simple and proven design that has been around for years.
A calcium reactor is super simple. All it requires is consistent flow through the media with a way to inject c02 to control the reactor's pH level.
I'd say that more important than the actual reactor is two things... 1) The regulator, and 2) the feed pump.
Most of the problems people have are with one or both of those, NOT the reactor itself.

For the reg, many choose to use the Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser. It's super simple to use and accurate. Good for those who don't want to DIY. The downside is the reg is a cheap/low quality single stage.
If you can follow simple instructions and have a little patience, you can DIY your own high quality dual stage reg by getting the parts off eBay. It's all detailed in this thread...
How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.
For about the same price, you will end up with a reg that will last you a lifetime and be ultra stable/accurate.
Not to mention beautiful.

For flow, most reactors come with a cheap Rio hobby pump or similar. Some people feed off their manifold but that's not a good idea at all for a CaRx.
The best way to go is to get a Cole-Parmer Masterflex peristaltic pump. Or any peristaltic pump that is made for continuous use, but the CP are hard to beat for quality, and they are rebuildable.
Again, eBay and some patience is your best bet. But you should be able to find a pump, head and tubing for around $200-300.
Here's the thread you'll want to check out. Most of the info you need is in the first few post, with links to all the minor parts you'll need.
Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Good luck! :)

Dude........... that was deep, you made me cry.
Uhm yeah no doubt the Dastaco.
It really depends of the size of your tank but for the money you get it's really a nice reactor.
Simple and easy, you just tell it what ALK # you want your tank to run at and BINGO!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back