Any help and recommendation?

SyssyHUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)

I am new in this hobby and struggling with light setup. My aquarium size is 120x40x50.

I had a giesmann T5 8x39W which was getting my aquarium crazy so I swapped to LED. I have now a noname DIY saltwater LED light fixture from a guy who made some already and he had good growth of coralls and reviews around us.
But somehow the Colors doesn’t seem great like it’s too dark I think.
The LED light now is 100W there are Color’s in it like dark blue,UV,purple,1 orange,1 red LEDs.

I know I suppose to get at least one more of 100W of this light,but not sure if I cannot find something better in this price range $150 in Europe :)
I have a green big mushroom in the middle,one anenome,some zoas,small mushroom,GSP,glove polyps.
I checked Galactica lux meter with IPhone and it shows just 15k lux.
what do you think ? I am attaching some pictures of my aquarium currently. And some pics of the light,during the production.

Thank you

68C7284A-93AE-4BE3-8E4F-FDF705DDA9D3.jpeg0C928849-79B8-408C-A7C7-B4D8690A9A53.jpeg63A42147-9015-42DD-857F-A1F70514A716.jpegA60D53A6-F4A7-4D13-9443-876148380A9C.jpeg809B8C3C-976E-4197-B571-8A63DB9749C1.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What went wrong with the T-5 lights? You had a really nice fixture. I use T-5’s and was curious what went wrong for you?

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know from experience, but from everything I have read, those Giesemann fixtures are supposed to be top of the line for T5's. When you say "getting your aquarium crazy" can you be a little more descriptive as to what you mean by that ?
Because honestly, at the most, you may have just needed new bulbs, and possibly a different color pattern.
My honest opinion, would be to go back to the T5's if you still have that fixture. I am in no way against LED's, but to compare the 2, I would say the T5's would probably come out on top.

But then again, I may be way off here. If I am, someone will surely come along and straighten me out.

Adam

OP
OP
SyssyHUN

SyssyHUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What went wrong with the T-5 lights? You had a really nice fixture. I use T-5’s and was curious what went wrong for you?
As I couldn’t hang it, it was too close to everything ,and because of it the sides of the aquarium was dark , and the coralls were not doing good at all :(

OP
OP
SyssyHUN

SyssyHUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know from experience, but from everything I have read, those Giesemann fixtures are supposed to be top of the line for T5's. When you say "getting your aquarium crazy" can you be a little more descriptive as to what you mean by that ?
Because honestly, at the most, you may have just needed new bulbs, and possibly a different color pattern.
My honest opinion, would be to go back to the T5's if you still have that fixture. I am in no way against LED's, but to compare the 2, I would say the T5's would probably come out on top.

But then again, I may be way off here. If I am, someone will surely come along and straighten me out.

Adam
it was warming up the aquarium crazy the cooling was not working on it . I had :2xactinic 3xblue plus 1x purple plus 2xcoral plus . Time schedule was 10hours with 2 xactinic,2xBlue plus. 2 hours in the middle day the 2x coral plus . 4hours 1xblue plus 1xpurple plus.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I couldn’t hang it, it was too close to everything ,and because of it the sides of the aquarium was dark , and the coralls were not doing good at all :(
There’s different ways to mount light fixtures. I hung mine from the ceiling and was able to adjust the height. There are also ways to wall mount them by putting up brackets then hanging up the brackets. There are brackets which attach to the sides of the tank to set the fixture on. I’m with everyone else. It sounds like the T-5’s would be much better as long as you can get them mounted properly. You won’t have any dark space on the sides and the par will be lower with them hung. Mine are about 8” above the water line and that works great. Good luck!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was warming up the aquarium crazy the cooling was not working on it . I had :2xactinic 3xblue plus 1x purple plus 2xcoral plus . Time schedule was 10hours with 2 xactinic,2xBlue plus. 2 hours in the middle day the 2x coral plus . 4hours 1xblue plus 1xpurple plus.
Ps your bulb colors seem fine to me.

Because Yes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s different ways to mount light fixtures. I hung mine from the ceiling and was able to adjust the height. There are also ways to wall mount them by putting up brackets then hanging up the brackets. There are brackets which attach to the sides of the tank to set the fixture on. I’m with everyone else. It sounds like the T-5’s would be much better as long as you can get them mounted properly. You won’t have any dark space on the sides and the par will be lower with them hung. Mine are about 8” above the water line and that works great. Good luck!
Would u mind sharing some tank picture and your bulb combination + time schedule if possible ?

OP
OP
SyssyHUN

SyssyHUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your advices ,unfortunately,the light change came as we cannot hang anything from the ceiling. We are in a rent) I am gonna still thinking about how to figure out it ,as I didn’t’t even find any useful brackets here in hungary :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back