Any help navigating the different types of Gyre pumps?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm looking to order a gyre / crossflow style pump for my new build. I'm a bit confused by all the different models. Which ones do you guys recommend? I'm currently looking at the Maxspect 4K Gyres and thinking that 2 of those might be plenty of flow. However, I'm also noticing the XF series and not sure which I should be looking at. Thoughts?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy, avoid them all.
They are maintenence nightmares.
Get a strong pump and put it in the corner. Gyre flow complete.
Zero maintenence.
Thank you Tunze.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a maxspect 4k and love it super easy to clean and never had a problem with it

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two 1st series maxspect jump gyres. Pretty much considered the hardest to maintain from what I read and I have zero issues with them personally, but from what I have read the latest series fx gyres are considered to be much easier to disassemble and maintain. I also run some of the jebao scp gyres and personally prefer them(but never tried the maxspect xf series.

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering purchasing gyres soon and wanted to get some updated feedback from folks that have gyres… What do y’all recommend? Was thinking of the new Maxspect “Cloud” versions, or Jebao gyres perhaps.

WunderWagen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had dual Maxspect XF330 Gyres in my XL525 vertically mounted in each corner with good results for 1.5 years. Only had to clean them once every few months, although did have a small snail incursion every once in a while I had to remove. LOL

Just upgraded this week to the new XF330 Gyre Cloud Edition units, nice improvement with the upgraded dual section cages and adjustable diverters allowing more flow control. The Cloud app is nice as well with all of the functions to easily control everything from the phone along with the various random flow patterns you can use. Hoping these units are as trouble free as my last ones.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XF350s were on sale for 130 or so pump only a week or two ago. Not sure if they still are? I bought 3 and a hydros wave engine v2. Install was super simple. I still have to play with them a bit and try the different schedules but so far I love the change. The 3 xf350s replaced 3 Tunze 6105s and a jebao 280 or something. The large jebao Gyre.

I'm currently running them on SPS during the day and LPS during the night. Max at 80%, 100% they moved a crazy amount of water but do make an audible hum. It's only been a few days but I've noticed a bit more PE on some sps that are up higher due to less direct flow.

I'm sure as things really start to fill in I'll work the tunze in to pick up dead spots but for now my flow is higher overall with just the xf350s. I was running the 6105s at 100% on the longest pulse I could with the basic tunze controller, dead silent no matter the % ran at. I was able to ditch the Jebao that fought the tunzes on my viewing pane which was a huge plus for me.

I went XF due to the price point being cheaper with the sale than 4k and previous experience with my XF150 running with no replacement parts for 4+ years before selling them.

Their downside is cleaning, specifically in a tank that has a lot of algae growth. They lose output fast when dirty. My tunzes could go longer, but still lost output. After cleaning I'd be around 60% but by the time I cleaned them they'd be 100%.

EDIT: Another downside is they don't come with secondary cages and impellers for cleaning. My xf150 did. I was trying to figure out if the 4k still do. Not a fan of the orange impellers, so I'd imagine they've gotta come with a black set. The goal is to try to make pumps less noticeable, not sure why orange?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back