Any ideas on this, is it a Homewrecker?

U

User1

View Badges
It is bad karma to sell something with lineage that does not have it. If you can trace it back to Jason Fox, then cool. Otherwise, just give it your own name.

I agree with the bad karma bit. I disagree with the name thing though. Not that it matters.

Reason for replying at all is this is exactly why naming a coral other than the scientific name without any form of proof is stupid. Not directed at you just calling out why a thread like this shows why it is wrong.

Hobbyists should really start standing together on this. Ora is doing it and it is about time others did too. I'd go so far as to say these high ticket items should carry a DNA tag on the certificate. Price alone should mandate it otherwise people are just guessing.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names will always be around. Nobody just wants to try and figure out American Made 2 Door Sedan or Chinese Made 460cc Golf Driver... Chevrolet Chevelle or Callaway Big Bertha identify something. It is necessary for most things.

If Reef Raft, for example, wants to have RR in front of all of the stuff that they import, then I am all for it since it drives people to their stores and they will keep importing. If everything was just Blue & Purple A. Aculeus and nobody knew that RR had the fire, then why would they bother? If they do the work, then they can have their names in front of it.

What is the incentive to order boxes and boxes of corals searching for the one grail if you cannot get rewarded for it? I love the new hot stuff, so I am all for whatever it takes to get into the hobby.

I have two issues:
  1. Knockoffs - enough said, right?
  2. Renaming other people stuff. Cherry Bomb was a rename. Unfortunately, too many people do this. I was at a show once when a VERY prominent coral vendor bought a nice piece from another VERY prominent vendor and was discussing what they were going to name it and getting help from the crowd. Disappointing.
Edit: if you ever buy a piece from me, I have the lineage for everything that I bought that I offer a name - otherwise I list generically. PM from Steve Tyree with email and receipt that has been saved for 15+ years. Bounce Mushroom from WWC Booth with a receipt. Colorado Sunbursts from Ki, Gonzo and a recent one from a member here that I got lineage on. More of this stuff needs to happen instead of taking people's words. Even with a trusted trader, I will sometimes ask just so that I know and I have NEVER had anybody who "gets it" get mad about this. A lot of lineage falls down here...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the coral in the OP, just call it Joe's Homewrecker and just be clear that it is a lookalike and possibly the same coral, but it did not come from Jason Fox lineage. People will buy it this way and everybody will feel good about what is going on.

U

User1

View Badges
Names will always be around. Nobody just wants to try and figure out American Made 2 Door Sedan or Chinese Made 460cc Golf Driver... Chevrolet Chevelle or Callaway Big Bertha identify something. It is necessary for most things.

If Reef Raft, for example, wants to have RR in front of all of the stuff that they import, then I am all for it since it drives people to their stores and they will keep importing. If everything was just Blue & Purple A. Aculeus and nobody knew that RR had the fire, then why would they bother? If they do the work, then they can have their names in front of it.

What is the incentive to order boxes and boxes of corals searching for the one grail if you cannot get rewarded for it? I love the new hot stuff, so I am all for whatever it takes to get into the hobby.

I have two issues:
  1. Knockoffs - enough said, right?
  2. Renaming other people stuff. Cherry Bomb was a rename. Unfortunately, too many people do this. I was at a show once when a VERY prominent coral vendor bought a nice piece from another VERY prominent vendor and was discussing what they were going to name it and getting help from the crowd. Disappointing.
Edit: if you ever buy a piece from me, I have the lineage for everything that I bought that I offer a name - otherwise I list generically. PM from Steve Tyree with email and receipt that has been saved for 15+ years. Bounce Mushroom from WWC Booth with a receipt. Colorado Sunbursts from Ki, Gonzo and a recent one from a member here that I got lineage on. More of this stuff needs to happen instead of taking people's words. Even with a trusted trader, I will sometimes ask just so that I know and I have NEVER had anybody who "gets it" get mad about this. A lot of lineage falls down here...

Again, my comments are not directed at you. Just how I feel or my view.

I hear lineage my mind goes to AKC and papers as an example. Pretty self explanatory. I can go buy a German Shepherd anywhere but if I'm looking for something specific or paying a premium I better have proof. AKC registration is that.

To me implementing this would solve a lot of these problems. But again this is just my opinion. The prices and names have been going on for a while now but it isn't something I play in. Glad you do offer the information.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t care about lineage as much as I do the actual frag appearance and the sellers talent/experience. I’m after very strong corals as my tank is small and the potential for a mishap is higher.

I can tell a WD acro when I see one. :)

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought too. Sorry if I’m being a buzz kill at least it is gorgeous
PPT? That thing is no where near resembling a PPT. If you guys have PPT that looks like that, then get ready to jack up the prices. OP has a tenuis, PPT is not even the same species.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely is a JF Homewrecker or at least the same color morph. It looks a lot like mine. Just because you can't trace it back to whoever named it that doesn't mean it isn't the same exact species. Jason Fox picked this acro up in Indonesia.

Someone could have very well collected it before Jason Fox did. Jason Fox just made it famous with heavy blue LEDs and it just happened to be during the time when acros were understood and easier to keep. If anything it was perfect timing. This coral is just a green acro with pink corallites under daylight spectrum. Remember, the ocean is vast.

Could it be from Jason Fox? Probably not. Could it be the same exact species and color morph as the Homewrecker? Definitely.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not a PPT. Corallite structure is VERY different.
paletta pink tip is a different species.
PPT? That thing is no where near resembling a PPT. If you guys have PPT that looks like that, then get ready to jack up the prices. OP has a tenuis, PPT is not even the same species.

Kind of hard to tell exactly with a picture on a phone screen, that is why I said maybe. I still don't think it is a HW. Would you purchase a frag of this as a HW at normal HW prices? Color in the picture resembles a PPT, couldn't tell the species on a small screen.

So, what do y'all think it is?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to tell exactly with a picture on a phone screen, that is why I said maybe. I still don't think it is a HW. Would you purchase a frag of this as a HW at normal HW prices? Color in the picture resembles a PPT, couldn't tell the species on a small screen.

If not a HW with lineage, then it’s at least an unknown lookalike. It’s not like anything else that I’ve seen; it really does look like a HW.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

its a tenuis that looks almost identical to a HW.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back