Any large ish fish for a 40b

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am kind of depressed right now because my other pj cardinal died ( first died in my tank move ) it is just because it was never eating and would seem to adjust to my tank, now I only have a clownfish ( and a cuc, but only clownfish as far as fish goes ) the current tank is a terribly done 20 gallon, but I am upgrading to a 40b in the next couple months, just saving my pennies so I can do it correctly this time. I will not be adding anything more to this system, asit simply cannot support much life, however I want some ideas for what to put in the 40b.

I don't want many fish in the 40, like 5 max, and I already have a couple that I really want, but I want a centerpiece fish, and am not sure what that would be. The dream is a flame angel, or some sort of pygmy tang, but I know both those may have problems in a 40, here is what my current stocking list is:

a pair of clownfish ( already have one )

bam IK so exquisite. what centerpiece fish could go with a pair of clowns? ( also am open to other fish I should add )

CUC will be 5 red legged hermits and a candy cane shrimp. ( no snails I hate snails don't even ask why, algae scrubbers work just as well as snails also )

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long is that breeder in inches?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only stick to small fish in a 40B. Maybe a pygmy angel like a Flameback, Cherub?

How come the second PJ Cardinal never ate? :( that’s pretty rare as I hardly ever see complaints about PJ Cardinals here.

I’d do:

Clownfish pair

Flameback / Cherub Angel

Shrimp / Goby pair

Royal Gramma or Swissguard Basslet or Yellow Assessor

Smaller blenny or wrasse of some kind

For a total of 6 fish.

If you don’t want to pair the Clown (I would always prefer a pair as long as it’s not the more aggressive species) then free up a 6th fish slot for the Wrasse if you get a Blenny, or Vice versa.

If I had to list the species that people complain the most about regarding diseases and other stuff:

1. Tangs (usually Powder Blue, Powder Brown, Blue Hippo)

2. Clowns (most likely just proportionate considering how pretty much everyone has a pair, and many LFS I assume don’t separate wild stock from Captive Bred stock)

3. Damsels (usually the more aggressive varieties)

But when it comes to damsels you could get a more peaceful species like a Yellowtail Blue, Azure, Talbot’s, Starcki’s, Rolland’s, Neon, Andaman etc.

Nice colors and would go well with a pygmy Angel. I think any of the blue varieties mentioned here would go beautifully with a Cherub or Flameback.

Maybe:

1 Clown
1 damsel
1 pygmy angel
1 basslet
1 small wrasse / Blenny (Bicolor, Tail Spot, some of the smaller Fang Blennies?)
1 goby and shrimp pair

(?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only stick to small fish in a 40B. Maybe a pygmy angel like a Flameback, Cherub?

How come the second PJ Cardinal never ate? :( that’s pretty rare as I hardly ever see complaints about PJ Cardinals here.

I’d do:

Clownfish pair

Flameback / Cherub Angel

Shrimp / Goby pair

Royal Gramma or Swissguard Basslet or Yellow Assessor

Smaller blenny or wrasse of some kind

For a total of 6 fish.

If you don’t want to pair the Clown (I would always prefer a pair as long as it’s not the more aggressive species) then free up a 6th fish slot for the Wrasse if you get a Blenny, or Vice versa.

If I had to list the species that people complain the most about regarding diseases and other stuff:

1. Tangs (usually Powder Blue, Powder Brown, Blue Hippo)

2. Clowns (most likely just proportionate considering how pretty much everyone has a pair, and many LFS I assume don’t separate wild stock from Captive Bred stock)

3. Damsels (usually the more aggressive varieties)

But when it comes to damsels you could get a more peaceful species like a Yellowtail Blue, Azure, Talbot’s, Starcki’s, Rolland’s, Neon, Andaman etc.

Nice colors and would go well with a pygmy Angel. I think any of the blue varieties mentioned here would go beautifully with a Cherub or Flameback.

Maybe:

1 Clown
1 damsel
1 pygmy angel
1 basslet
1 small wrasse / Blenny (Bicolor, Tail Spot, some of the smaller Fang Blennies?)
1 goby and shrimp pair

(?)
So sounds like I can have quite the amount of small fish, just not quite suited for larger fish :)

I definitely want a pair of clowns, and some sort of Pygmy angle sounds like a great centerpiece fish! I would have to do some looking at the other fish listed, but thanks for the help!

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely look into getting a wrasse. It will bring a lot of personality to you tank. Maybe a Blue Spotted Jawfish... a dwarf angle.. a few shrimp... 2 or 3 firefish

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back