Any Maxima Clam Experts Here?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a beautiful maxima clam at my LFS (Never seen that type of coloration in real life). I looked at it overhead when i decided to purchase it.

At home it was kind of stressed longer than I am used to. It’s MUCH more sensitive to movement and will retract even by me walking up to my tank (which is taller than me btw). It is retracting from my reflection on the glass.

It took 2 days for it to extend 70% from how I saw it at the LFS. Still isn’t fully opened yet.

I notice the color is very pale in comparison to how I saw it at the store (and I am also looking at it from the top to make that assessment).

I have 7 other maxima clams in my tank and I haven’t seen this before. Can anyone confirm if maximas can go pale seemingly from a short trip?

I didn’t see any pest snails , and my current clams are vibrant in color.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take a daylight picture, not heavy blues. My smaller maxima will react to me walking near the tank, which is kinda normal if they “see” something. What lighting did the clam come from and did you acclimate it to your lighting?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing? IMO just give it time.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing of clams, but I can't wait for my little 2" orange shoulder (who is basically a yellow tang) to look like that beautiful fish in your profile pic. wowzers

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing of clams, but I can't wait for my little 2" orange shoulder (who is basically a yellow tang) to look like that beautiful fish in your profile pic. wowzers
My profile picture isn’t of my orange shoulder tang.

I have a yellow tang which I believe is suppressing the true adult colors of my orange shoulder. I so badly want to rehome the yellow because I just love the adult orange shoulder tangs…but I don’t have a trap and I will NOT risk my aquascape. I also think the yellow tang is cute, so it’s hard to make any decision besides for leaving well enough alone lol.

Here is my orange shoulder:

134BDED1-3D4C-47F5-BD19-E4C125C99D4A.jpeg
6C75A09C-84D0-434E-B128-5F7A8793596E.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a yellow tang which I believe is suppressing the true adult colors of my orange shoulder. I so badly want to rehome the yellow because I just love the adult orange shoulder tangs…but I don’t have a trap and I will NOT risk my aquascape. I also think the yellow tang is cute, so it’s hard to make any decision besides for leaving well enough alone lol.

So many fish! That's awesome! I love it, they all look so good!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a beautiful maxima clam at my LFS (Never seen that type of coloration in real life). I looked at it overhead when i decided to purchase it.

At home it was kind of stressed longer than I am used to. It’s MUCH more sensitive to movement and will retract even by me walking up to my tank (which is taller than me btw). It is retracting from my reflection on the glass.

It took 2 days for it to extend 70% from how I saw it at the LFS. Still isn’t fully opened yet.

I notice the color is very pale in comparison to how I saw it at the store (and I am also looking at it from the top to make that assessment).

I have 7 other maxima clams in my tank and I haven’t seen this before. Can anyone confirm if maximas can go pale seemingly from a short trip?

I didn’t see any pest snails , and my current clams are vibrant in color.

If you haven't you could try to email Dr. Mac over at Pacific East Aquaculture. While you didn't buy it from him you could just lay out what you are observing and see if he can suggest anything to look for. Worth a try.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what type of fish is your profile picture ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back