Any one have kitty problems?

C_LYNN1827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be on odd question but does anyone have any advice or tricks to keep a naughty kitty off of their tanks?

I have a very curious/naughty kitty that has about broke the "temporary" lid on my 24gal tank. (no fish in there yet, its still cycling). eventually i'll be getting a better lid/lighting for it but not as of yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if kitty is your wife, when my wife gets out of hand i usually take away her allowance and she steps back in line.

if kitty is a cat you might put a pressure pad there that turns on a vaccum cleaner.. whenever i want to get the cat to go away i vaccume and he runs.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more reason why not to have a cat...
seriously, did it get wet? was it a calamity for the cat? if so it hopefully learned and will not di it aghain

My wife's cat get into everything but only once (that I know of) did it get wet with a tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be on odd question but does anyone have any advice or tricks to keep a naughty kitty off of their tanks?

I have a very curious/naughty kitty that has about broke the "temporary" lid on my 24gal tank. (no fish in there yet, its still cycling). eventually i'll be getting a better lid/lighting for it but not as of yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
Is the cat jumping onto the tank from the ground or from a piece of furniture? If it's the latter, you can try to deter him from getting on that piece by laying aluminum foil on it -- cats don't like the sound it makes when they step on it. Or double stick tape. You could also try some citrus spray to keep the kitty away as they don't like the smell. If it's jumping up from the floor, you could try some similar tactics to prevent him from getting too close to the tank.
Hope this helps... I have curious kitties too ;)

Edit: if you have an actual hood type lid (with lights attached underneath), you could put foil or double sided tape on that... The tape will definitely teach him the lesson, but could also backfire if he ends up spazzing and taking the lid with him when he gets stuck, lol

OP
OP
C_LYNN1827

C_LYNN1827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if kitty is your wife, when my wife gets out of hand i usually take away her allowance and she steps back in line.

if kitty is a cat you might put a pressure pad there that turns on a vaccum cleaner.. whenever i want to get the cat to go away i vaccume and he runs.
HAHA definitely a cat....the vacuum unfortunately does not scare him

OP
OP
C_LYNN1827

C_LYNN1827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more reason why not to have a cat...
seriously, did it get wet? was it a calamity for the cat? if so it hopefully learned and will not di it aghain

My wife's cat get into everything but only once (that I know of) did it get wet with a tank
My cat is not so smart......he's taken a swim twice in our RODI tubs we mix the salt in. so he's pretty dumb lol

OP
OP
C_LYNN1827

C_LYNN1827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cat jumping onto the tank from the ground or from a piece of furniture? If it's the latter, you can try to deter him from getting on that piece by laying aluminum foil on it -- cats don't like the sound it makes when they step on it. Or double stick tape. You could also try some citrus spray to keep the kitty away as they don't like the smell. If it's jumping up from the floor, you could try some similar tactics to prevent him from getting too close to the tank.
Hope this helps... I have curious kitties too ;)

Edit: if you have an actual hood type lid (with lights attached underneath), you could put foil or double sided tape on that... The tape will definitely teach him the lesson, but could also backfire if he ends up spazzing and taking the lid with him when he gets stuck, lol
I'll try the citrus thank you! i've tried the aluminum foil with our fridge and he still jumps on the water dispenser to get on the fridge. He usually uses the counter to get to this tank. We have a 200 gal in our basement he's only tried to jump on once so far that we're aware of.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true. Our LMC is a menace. I’m legit terrified to do tank maintenance when it gets full grown.
My regular ol' percula is a nightmare. Her and her boyfriend have been mated and laying eggs in the display for ~6 years and I have to ward her off with a dobe sponge everytime my hands go in the water. My daughter/wife often have to use the claw grabber with the sponge on it to defend me while I work because she'll draw blood if they don't. This is on a large system too. She just hunts me down. Clownfish... Vicious creatures.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that cats are pretty much harmless to tanks, but that's not always the case.

Many years ago I had an especially curious pair of youthful siblings that I left alone one day and came back home to all the fish missing.

The cat I have now is very curious but doesn't mess with the tank. Loves to watch but stays out of it.

I think it's pretty common for cats to be around aquariums without issue. Hopefully yours is the same after the initial curiosity.

OP
OP
C_LYNN1827

C_LYNN1827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cat jumped onto my tank 1 time. It got pancaked ....... don't ask.

Never did it again and it still loves me.
I wish my cat was smart like that lol he's taken a swim twice in the mixed saltwater bins (we have lids on them at all times now) so he don't learn quickly haha

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use these mats called “scat mats” for our dogs. It may work for the cats to keep them away. My wife hates them because she is always shocking herself. But it’s just like a strong static shock. More startling than anything.

PetSafe ScatMat Indoor Pet Training Mat, 7 Adjustable Modes, Protect Your Furniture, Training Tool for Dogs & Cats, 5 Sizes Available, LCD Screen, Battery-Operated, Pet Proof Your Home, Deterrent Mat

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ours sits on my predator tank but its got heavy duty lids so its not an issue.
maybe get a thick acryilic lid and just let him up there or mount a light that keeps him away

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back