Any Plans to Test Salt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have test result from before the water changes with TMP and after and other than boron I did not add anything new to my tank. I didn't test the salt by it's self though so I'm in for $20 if you get another person to help out as well that should make the test pretty affordable.

Thanks Keithcorals, I will take you up on your offer to help supplement the cost for a fresh TMP water analysis. Brand new 200 gallon bucket, not opened yet, I will shake up the bucket as best I can to help with settling or separation of components. I am also going to run my own tests for Ca (Sea Chem), Mg (Red Sea Pro), AK (Hanna checker), PO4 (Hanna checker), No3 (Red Sea pro) so I can compare my test kits vs. Triton. Anyone else want to chip in $10-$20 bucks and I will send off the test next week?

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of testing 7 salts fresh samples with ro I have some back weighting on few more. Tested. Esv and red sea blue bucket , instant ocean, tropic marin regular, tropic marin pro reef and ddh20. I have also senr double blind samples to make sure triton machine reads them exactly same. Its all comming. So far results are very interesting.

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just logged on to Triton web site to get my ID# and there is a message that there will be no water testing from Dec 19th through Jan 2nd, so I will have to wait until Jan 2nd to send out the TMP water sample. Even if I send it on Monday to Triton US, it won't get to Germany before the 19th, so I believe it's best to wait until Jan 2nd to send in the freshly made sample.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of testing 7 salts fresh samples with ro I have some back weighting on few more. Tested. Esv and red sea blue bucket , instant ocean, tropic marin regular, tropic marin pro reef and ddh20. I have also senr double blind samples to make sure triton machine reads them exactly same. Its all comming. So far results are very interesting.

That sounds amazing I'm very interested to see the results especially the results of the double blind test comparison. How soon do you expect to have all the results and are you going to post them here?

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith. I have already got a few back. And results pretty surprising. If you want to call me before I post no problem. 9172091125

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spent about an hour on phone with one and only bob stark. Starting to get comfortable as being one of lead non chemistry guys and the icp testing and where both faullts and consistency come in. The manufacturers who tweak product to get their results better will have better market share!!!! This truto platform will be a big equalizer maybe not yet but it's starting.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow this info will be great! Looking forward to seeing the results. Do you plan on posting the results here?

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i will post them here in time. Hw maeinemix i have not seen at retail and dont think enough us interest. Reef crystals i think is just like io with more stuff thats not needed. And im not bothering with extra garbage kent oceanic etc unbalanced salt mixes. Inchoose these to test because of balance nature. We all know the calcium alk and magnesium levels in salts. What will be more important is the interpretation. Like. Is it better to have a salt high in lithium and bromine or a salt high in maganeese. And lot of that depends on the liight intensity and what type of corals I also am trying to see why triton likes pro reef so much so well see how that test comes back ex the fact it has had consistency problems esp with alkalinity. All to come.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subbed =).. Interested to see what comes of the different top tier salt mixes. I've got a triton kit ready to go and I was planning on comparing the results to the AWT results I got back a few weeks ago but failed to grab the sample at the same time so I'm holding off.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been some issues with awt. The go to lab that competes with triton is apparently in ca and I wish I could remember the name.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt studies have been done previously. This is a huge opportunity. ICP test data is in the hobbiest hands and we are trying to use the data to adjust our water chemistry. Not knowing the chemistry of what we are adjusting with makes the job more costly and difficult.

Proposal:

- A third party well respected reef scientist run the test
- Triton waive or reduce the testing fees for this study

I would nominate Randy if he were willing to do the job. It is allot to ask though.

How about it Triton US and @Randy Holmes-Farley?

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt studies have been done previously. This is a huge opportunity. ICP test data is in the hobbiest hands and we are trying to use the data to adjust our water chemistry. Not knowing the chemistry of what we are adjusting with makes the job more costly and difficult.

Proposal:

I would nominate Randy if he were willing to do the job. It is allot to ask though.

How about it Triton US and @Randy Holmes-Farley?

I don't think tritonUS would touch this with a 10 ft pole....neither would I if I was personally in their shoes.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton doesn't want to start fights with other companies by testing and releasing results, or starting fights among hobbiests and I can see why. They do give a general recommendation based off their testing without saying results and they recommend tropic marin pro reef in Europe. I don't think they have said what American salt they recommend yet.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Proposal:

How about it @Triton US and @Randy Holmes-Farley?
-
I guess the proposal was not well understood.

The proposal was to have someone like Randy do the study, not Triton. Triton would provide ICP testing like they do for everyone today.

The third party would publish the results.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-
I guess the proposal was not well understood.

The proposal was to have someone like Randy do the study, not Triton. Triton would provide ICP testing like they do for everyone today.

The third party would publish the results.

It was the part where triton would waive, or cut fees. That would make them a part of it in the eyes of many, and perhaps eyes of the law as far as litigation is concerned. It's stupid, but it is how things are done today...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, somehow I missed that, sorry. I am all about Randy buying 200g salt mixes, prepping the entire batch at once and send for testing! Of course he should test 10 brands or so and test a least 3 lots of each. :bigsmile:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%

Back