Any reef safe dwarf angel for 75G

aj77757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im upgrading my tank from a 40g to a 75g and I have a mixed reef. My current fish are a solar fairy wrasse, moyers leopard wrasse, a carpenter wrasse, and two O. Clowns. I have a mix of leather, LPS, softies, and SPS corals. Are there any reef safe dwarf angels that I could add?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a chance and get one that won’t bother coral, but there isn’t a dwarf angel that isn’t listed as with caution for reef compatibility. It’s. 50/50 gamble.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dwarf angelfish is 100% reef safe, unfortunately. You could always try a dwarf angel, but keep a fish trap on hand and have a plan for it if it ever eats coral. A poll on another forum found that the most reef safe angelfish is the potter's angel, with only 2/26 eating coral. Of course, an angelfish will do what it wants to do, not what the statistics say. Instead of a dwarf angel, you could try a tomini tang for the behavior, or anthias for the color.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im upgrading my tank from a 40g to a 75g and I have a mixed reef. My current fish are a solar fairy wrasse, moyers leopard wrasse, a carpenter wrasse, and two O. Clowns. I have a mix of leather, LPS, softies, and SPS corals. Are there any reef safe dwarf angels that I could add?
What are the dimensions of the 75?
If it’s 4’x2’ as a floor space you may be able to have a small Genicanthus species - Semifasciatus and Melanospilos are more reef safe than some of the others.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the best fish keeper I have known:

None of the dwarf angels are reef safe long term with regard to all corals.
All dwarf angels are reef safe with the majority of corals if you feed them enough.

His statement has held true in my experience over the years with a variety of angels. I currently have a coral beauty in a 90 with the same 48x18 footprint of a 75. It was in a 40 breeder for 2 years with no issues killing coral. It does nip at a leptastrea though and I have had very minimal polyp extension in 3 years from that coral and very very slow growth from it.

None of the other corals have been affected yet

similar experiences with a flame, potters, and lemon peel angels in the past. They all had one or two corals they would nip but most were left alone.

I only feed mysis

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't have a tank without this guy. Mine is a perfect tank mate
20220124_165916.jpg

alan3402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the best fish keeper I have known:

None of the dwarf angels are reef safe long term with regard to all corals.
All dwarf angels are reef safe with the majority of corals if you feed them enough.

His statement has held true in my experience over the years with a variety of angels. I currently have a coral beauty in a 90 with the same 48x18 footprint of a 75. It was in a 40 breeder for 2 years with no issues killing coral. It does nip at a leptastrea though and I have had very minimal polyp extension in 3 years from that coral and very very slow growth from it.

None of the other corals have been affected yet

similar experiences with a flame, potters, and lemon peel angels in the past. They all had one or two corals they would nip but most were left alone.

I only feed mysis
This has been my experience as well with my Coral Beauty in a 40 g breeder. It picks at stuff, but with proper feeding, he hasn't done any damage to my corals.

For me it is worth the ocassional nip. The dwarf angels are energetic and constantly dart around the tank.

Also, IME, a healthy copepod (and other critters) helps my angel satisfy the grazing instinct;

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CB in my tank that does a lot of algae grazing but no coral damage. I feed thoroughly each day.

ReefDude716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty angel fish, safer then the flame angel

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch Austin Lefevre's macna presentation on benthic feeders. It will answer most of your questions.
I watched another video where it was stated something along the lines of.. "in college i got so hungry i ate a can of food that had been in my cupboard since before i moved in 4 years earlier". Basically, if fish are hungry they will find things to eat

OP
OP
A

aj77757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the 75?
If it’s 4’x2’ as a floor space you may be able to have a small Genicanthus species - Semifasciatus and Melanospilos are more reef safe than some of the others.
The 50inches long 20 inches wide

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back