Any Rhizotrochus spp keepers? Tips?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave me a rhizotrochus and said he couldn’t feed it properly and care for it anymore. It’s not in the best condition. Skeleton receding and tentacles pop out but not like in pics I’ve seen. Does this thing need to eat constantly? He gave me because I have some dendrophyllia colonies that are doing well and suggested the care is the same. Not much info online but supposedly it’s a black market coral illegal for import under CITES. Pics and care from keepers welcomed.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a lights out pic. Going to give it a night feeding now. Hasn’t responded to daytime feedings. Hopefully it can be trained to eat during the day like my other NPS.
92C87E4F-3106-49C7-A906-FC89E2DB25D3.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed it ocean nutrition marine mix and reef roids as a test. It didn’t have a feeding reaction. Mouth was gaping open and didn’t seem to take food. Tentacles didn’t seem sticky when feeding. And unfortunately I had to fend off a hundred shrimps who kept trying to steal food. Fed my dendros and they were so happy. Hope I can get this guy to eat. I’m wondering if larger sized food will be more up its alley.

doctormark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I have had for several years. They prefer chunky foods. I feed krill and silversides. Very forgiving as far as water quality but must be fed regularly, I feed 2x a week.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I have had for several years. They prefer chunky foods. I feed krill and silversides. Very forgiving as far as water quality but must be fed regularly, I feed 2x a week.
Thanks for the tip! I have small scallops in the freezer. About the size of a US nickel. Think it’ll eat a whole one?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it should still be salvageable. First thing I'd do is blow all that detritus off it. Looks like it could use a good cleaning. Use a turkey baster, then get it into higher flow.

It should have no reaction at all to light. Given that it's been neglected long term I would start with smaller food. Yes a healthy one can take out a small or even medium sized fish, but you want to nurse this one back to health. Start with LRS or mysis or something similar. Even pellets is okay. I would recommend small feedings every other day. When you start to see improvement you can feed larger foods and eventually less frequently. They will deflate sometimes even when healthy but should be big and puffy most of the day.

rh.jpg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it should still be salvageable. First thing I'd do is blow all that detritus off it. Looks like it could use a good cleaning. Use a turkey baster, then get it into higher flow.

It should have no reaction at all to light. Given that it's been neglected long term I would start with smaller food. Yes a healthy one can take out a small or even medium sized fish, but you want to nurse this one back to health. Start with LRS or mysis or something similar. Even pellets is okay. I would recommend small feedings every other day. When you start to see improvement you can feed larger foods and eventually less frequently. They will deflate sometimes even when healthy but should be big and puffy most of the day.

rh.jpg
Thanks! So far I’ve tried LRS and a couple other frozen foods. It’s mouth is really open but tentacles just don’t seem to latch on to the food. I dipped the coral and cleaned off so much detritus and algae. It was covered and obviously neglected.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. Turn off the flow if you have to. If you've got it in with fish you can always put some sort of cover over it so it can eat in peace. When healthy they are extremely sticky. I've brushed up against mine a few times and had no choice but to break off a few tentacles.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks way better, not just slightly. Keep it clean, keep it fed and hopefully it will turn around. I think as long as nothing bothers it while eating it will make a full recovery.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non photosynthetic corals. They don’t contain zooxanthellae so they need to be fed meaty foods quite frequently. I have a few colonies of dendrophyllia which are also NPS so I feed a lot in my tank....
BAA71B4E-8E9A-4EED-81BD-7AAE3A0FB8D5.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awesome colors ,hopin for a quick recovery

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non photosynthetic corals. They don’t contain zooxanthellae so they need to be fed meaty foods quite frequently. I have a few colonies of dendrophyllia which are also NPS so I feed a lot in my tank....
BAA71B4E-8E9A-4EED-81BD-7AAE3A0FB8D5.jpeg
Hi Scott, found your thread. Great information from everyone! I also have NPS sun corals and dendros that get feed mysis every other night. Both are doing great. I definitely see improvement in your Rhizo from the first picture. Good job!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope things keep going the right direction!

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's this coral doing now? I really hope it's made a full recovery.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back