Any Sponge Dominant Tanks?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone keeps a tank that is primarily sponges rather than corals or macro.

If so, what kinds/species of sponges do you keep? What inhabitants (if any) do you keep with them? What do you do for feeding and water changes/dosing?

Pictures are appreciated and tips for keeping them are welcome - especially for "oddball," unique, or rare sponges!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone keeps a tank that is primarily sponges rather than corals or macro.

If so, what kinds/species of sponges do you keep? What inhabitants (if any) do you keep with them? What do you do for feeding and water changes/dosing?

Pictures are appreciated and tips for keeping them are welcome - especially for "oddball," unique, or rare sponges!
I can keep you updated. I found that I actually am more fond of macro and sponges so I bought a few (tree, elephant ear, plating, ball type) and currently in the experimental phase. I'm hoping to raise a tank chock full of them. And then adding a moorish idol if it all works out.

OP
OP
ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking a bit more about different kinds of tanks tonight, so I figured I'd give this thread another bump.

Sponges, anyone?

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't plan on having many sponges in my DT. I have a purple sponge that has kind of reproduced into several spots and just bought orange tree sponge and I think it's a elephant ear sponge. Can't wait for them to grow out.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a half dozen sponges, elephant ears, balls and encrusting. Sponges do not do well in a relatively new tank. My tank has been set up for over twenty years. They need low light, moderate current and microscopic food. Light causes algae to grow on them, smothering them. To feed mine, I stir the substrate to get the micro-organisms into the water column and they do well on that. The red tree sponges just don't hold up. The longest that I have had one live is about two years. On the other hand, I have a blue that is about seven years old. That one started as a vase, declined to the size of a dime, grew to baseball size and is back down to dime size again.

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep you updated. I found that I actually am more fond of macro and sponges so I bought a few (tree, elephant ear, plating, ball type) and currently in the experimental phase. I'm hoping to raise a tank chock full of them. And then adding a moorish idol if it all works out.

I fear the idol would probably go through all of that faster than it could be replenished but I have always been curious if you couldn't use this product and mix it with something (maybe just dried sponge?) and have some success.
I'd be curious to see some pictures of your tank!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find the moorish to chew through all of the sponges before they have time to regrow.
You’ll end up with one healthy moorish though!!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a half dozen sponges, elephant ears, balls and encrusting. Sponges do not do well in a relatively new tank. My tank has been set up for over twenty years. They need low light, moderate current and microscopic food. Light causes algae to grow on them, smothering them. To feed mine, I stir the substrate to get the micro-organisms into the water column and they do well on that. The red tree sponges just don't hold up. The longest that I have had one live is about two years. On the other hand, I have a blue that is about seven years old. That one started as a vase, declined to the size of a dime, grew to baseball size and is back down to dime size again.

Dennis, do you have a thread with info or pictures of your tank? I'd like to see more about your setup!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, do you have a thread with info or pictures of your tank? I'd like to see more about your setup!
Here is a recent pic of my tank. It was set up for salt water twenty seven years ago. Some coral and mushrooms are over twenty five years old. The sponges across the front on the bottom are between three and five years old. Just yesterday, I found a blue sponge that I thought had died but was growing happily under the same rock that I had
IMG_1601.jpg
placed it five years ago. Most of the gorgs are from five to ten years old. The macro is a new addition, just two weeks old.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is not only sponge dominant, my entire house is turning into a sponge. :anguished-face:

I could wash my car,,,,twice with the sponges in my tank. Sponges that I don't want and am trying very hard to eliminate.

This light blue or purple stuff is all sponge. I know, it looks like blue montipora, But it lies. It is sponge. :astonished-face:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back